HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:08 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Indoor connectivity to a major hotel is one of the key sales points for a major convention/conference facility. Off the top of my head I can't think of a major one I've visited that isn't connected to a hotel--either below grade or above. My point is that the bridge is a greater benefit to the Convention Centre than the Sheraton--since the Convention Centre is city-owned I would argue that investing the structure gives the city-owned facility a competitive advantage--and as such--a return on investment.
It think proximity to a major hotel is more important than whether or not a pedestrian bridge connects to it. If a conference space were part of the hotel and there were some type of discount for using both facilities that would be a plus. Who is the Hamilton Convention center competing against downtown? No one. Because there is a lack of competing facilities in the city the bridge creates no advantage.

I have never booked a convention facility on the basis that there was an indoor link to a hotel. I do not know anyone who has thought of this as a priority in booking a convention facility.

The only way it could be profitable is if, as I mentioned, a troll was manning it for tolls.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 AM

It's not really a big deal, it's not meant to be profitable and it can be considered part of the Convention Centre's structure, its maintenance probably consumes a miniscule portion of the Convention Centre budget. Besides, every city I know of has walkways like this from hotels to convention centres, there's probably a reason for that. I would certainly like to have the overpass if I were staying at the Sheraton and going to a convention, I could move between the convention, restaurants and my room without having to drag my coat around.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 4:54 AM
On Guard For Thee

The Convention Centre is not competiting with other venues downtown, it's competing with other venues in other cities. Again, I repeat, I cannot think of very many major convention facilities that do not offer indoor/climate controlled connectivity to at least one major hotel. If it is a matter of profitability alone--well--in that case I'm reasonably sure we'd lose 3/4 of our major artistic and cultural venues along with the bridge if that's the only determining factor.

When you book a convention--being able to say to your delegates that they can get back to their hotel come hell or highwater is a huge advantage--and frankly, Hamilton needs all the help it can get competiting for convention business.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 6:35 PM

Since the convention centre aggressively advertises its space for wedding receptions, it does indeed compete with other venues in the city. Of course, if adequate hotel space was available, it could focus on its primary market and not need to pursue this secondary business line nearly as aggressively.

As far as the overpass goes, any renovation would not be perceived as a waste of money if the overpass actually gets used. Currently it is chained closed at either end and of no use to anyone on either side of the overpass.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:26 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Are people up in arms about it being closed off or does the city seem to be functioning just fine without it? I does not seem to me that it is really that vital to the convention center's venues. I mean, I have attended events at the Hamilton Convention center, stayed in the Sheraton, and have not used this bridge before. It would not be my first option for transferring between the two buildings since it connects in a fairly awkward way. For that short of a walk I will go outside with no coat if I am wearing a suit. For the ladies this would be more difficult.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:32 PM
On Guard For Thee

I will agree that the thing ought to be open--what is it's current status--is it never open or is it still unlocked during events at the Convention Centre?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:43 PM

I walked across it when I went out for my Downtown Hamilton photo tour last month

I took this shot from it:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's Hammer Time

Goodbye Pompeii, hello hotels

March 14, 2008
Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator

Downtown Dubai's got nothing on Hamilton. There's a tidal wave of towers coming to our core, new hotels on every corner.

A Hilton Homewood Suites, a Holiday Inn Express, two mystery hotels on the Board of Ed property, another on the Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot, a four-star Crowne Plaza emerging from the worn-out Ramada, a rebirth of the padlocked Royal Connaught.

Yes, the developers are dreaming overtime. But don't make your reservations yet.

Today, for a little perspective, we talk to three people.

The first, with no fanfare at all, is building his hotel right now.

The second really, really wants to breathe life into the carcass of the Connaught.

And the third is a man gone from Hamilton. But it was he, nearly 25 years ago, who saved the Connaught from the wreckers.

Azim Kassam and his family have been in the hotel business for years, first in Niagara Falls, then around the GTA.

Somebody from Days Inn told him Hamilton needed more hotel rooms, so Kassam came and took a look around.

He decided he would turn a former Ford dealership on Main East near Wellington into a 60-room hotel.

It would cost $5 million. He looked into financing. The usual sources weren't much help. "Questions were asked and eyebrows raised."

But he did find money at the federal government's Business Development Bank and got to work. He says his Days Inn will be welcoming guests by the end of May -- corporate clients, people attending sports tournaments or visiting family and friends.

Yes, he has seen the news of those other hotels. He hopes some actually get built. He thinks it will be good for everybody.

In 1990, somebody built a 150-room Journey's End on Catharine South. Its average occupancy dipped as low as 30 per cent. In five years, it had surrendered and was turned into a residence for Columbia College.

Kassam, however, believes he has got the timing right. "I think there's a good possibility of a turnaround ... And it's exciting news that new properties are coming. Let the games begin."

Two weeks ago, we ran a jumbo picture on the front page of the Royal Connaught, with a shiny 80-storey needle behind it, rising right to the heavens. Harry Stinson now advises us to forget that.

He explains he was pressed for time. The empty Royal Connaught was not for sale, but he offered $9.5 million for it anyway. And his $100,000 deposit was accepted.

"I was as surprised as anyone when the deal came together." He had to come up with an image fast. "I just took a picture of a building I was planning in Toronto and glued it on."

Do not, however, take this as a sign that he doesn't truly love this project. He wants to do the hotel. He wants to do the tower behind it, but the look will be much more traditional, more Hamilton.

Stinson, the maverick developer who pulled off many wins in Toronto before some big falls, has succeeded in drawing attention from the city he left behind.

Last Saturday's National Post carried a big spread called Letter From Hamilton. It showed a grimy picture of King East, the view people would see from the front door of the Hotel Harry.

"Coming to downtown Hamilton is like stumbling on Pompeii," the article said. "Everywhere are preserved stone temples, and nothing is going on."

Stinson didn't mind the coverage at all. "I went through exactly the same thing on Queen West in 1993. It was a complete wasteland. To get to our sales office (for the Candy Factory condos) you had to pass through an honour guard of pretty strange people."

He says the Connaught deal will close in the summer and people will be filling up his boutique hotel and condos by Christmas of next year.

There would be no Royal Connaught for Harry Stinson to dream about were it not for Barry Massey.

He arrived in Hamilton in the early 1980s to run the faded landmark. But a recession was making that hard. The place was going to come down. Work had started on a final 1984 New Year's Eve party, at which guests would be allowed to cart off some of their favourite furniture.

At the 11th hour, Massey found four investors to save the Connaught. But still it struggled.

Massey stayed until the end of the 1980s. Now he co-owns the successful StationPark All Suite Hotel in downtown London -- a city that has four times as many hotel rooms as Hamilton.

This city has two big problems, Massey says. First, it's too close to Toronto, which means many travellers choose to stay there, where the lights shine brighter.

Second, downtown Hamilton doesn't show well. The streets are too empty and some who do walk them are a little scary.

Massey knows about the long list of potential new hotels. "Hamilton probably has a 55 to 60 per cent occupancy now," he says. "That's not a healthy rate to have all that new product coming on at the same time. Where are the people going to come from?"

That said, he does wish Harry Stinson well. He thinks his approach is the right one.

"Every time I drive past the Connaught, it tears my heart out to see it closed," he says. "It's just dripping with heritage and memories."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Anyone know where the Holiday Inn Express suppose to go? Innovation Park?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:05 PM
Closed account

I think King and Queen.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

I had a nice list of all the hotels that was being planned out or developed but it was in the old development thread. Guess I'll have to search for it, ugh.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 3:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes it's at King and Queen.

Guess I'll have to make another list of hotels. Perhaps LikeHamilton can help as he seems to have good knowledge in the hotel business in Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hotel revival takes another step with Crowne Plaza renovations

April 15, 2008
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton tourism and entertainment officials will get a sneak peek today at the new look of a downtown hotel.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel, formerly the Ramada Hotel on King Street East, is about a month away from completing a two-year, $7-million renovation.

The 22,000-square-foot Lincoln Alexander Conference Centre, which features a 400-seat theatre, is in the final stages of construction next door to the hotel, in what used to be the Odeon Cinemas. It's expected to open in July or August.

"About 60 per cent of our 216 guest rooms have been renovated, right down to the crown mouldings, the window treatments and complete renovations of the bathrooms," said hotel general manager Paul Sutton.

A hallmark of the Crowne Plaza brand is attracting meetings and conventions, he said.

"We will have three or four meeting directors on site who will be dedicated to making sure events go off without a hitch."

He said the hotel is forging partnerships with groups like Tourism Hamilton and Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. to bring groups and events to the city.

Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames, who is to walk through the project today, says it sends a "strong signal" about investing in downtown Hamilton.

"The east side of the downtown has fallen on hard times," he said. "The Connaught closed and the Ramada grew tired. But this is a signal of a rebound."

For years, tourism officials have warned that Hamilton desperately needs quality, modern hotel rooms to attract conventions and sporting events to the city's core.

It seems that message has been heard. There are plans to build a Hilton Homewood Suites Hotel on the former site of Hamilton Motor Products at Main Street and Bay Street. Another former car dealership at Main and Spring streets is close to opening as a Days Inn.

There are plans circulating for another five new hotels downtown, including a Holiday Inn Express at King and Queen streets, and at least two along the 403.

As well, Toronto developer Harry Stinson is pushing a plan to convert the vacant Royal Connaught into a boutique hotel and apartments and there are reports of a possible sale of the Sheraton Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 9:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hotel Restoration Nears Finish Line

4/15/2008

Another positive step forward for Hamilton's downtown core.

The developers behind the restoration of the old Ramada Hotel have given the media a tour of what will next month become the Crowne Plaza Hamilton Hotel.

CEO Oscar Kichi says it features 216 rooms, a 400 seat ampitheatre and the Lincoln Alexander Conference Center, along with meeting rooms and banquet facilities.

Construction will be completed by July. Kichi adding that the Crowne Plaza is being positioned as a place for trade shows and conventions.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 9:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is great news. A new Convention Centre -- named after a great man no less, and DOWNTOWN .... hopefully this city can stop going to Carmens for everything. Carmens sucks... it's supposed to be an elegant night out, but its in the middle of nowhere in an industrial park across from a bowling alley. Everyone who leaves Carmens parking lot driving is likely over the limit. Don't get me wrong about bowling, I love the Big Lebowski, just when I'm dressed up it never feels right walking into that shitbox Carmens.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:09 PM
Closed account

^^ across from a bowling alley AND a shooting range... and just down the road from a fake lab haha What a nice place to walk around (ps: Hamilton Mountain Bowl is fun tho) haha

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Video of the Crowne Plaza

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/354863

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

CH showed a rendering of the exterior of Crowne Plaza, lots of gold for the entrance, that won't be finished until the fall. The restaurant, Coco I believe (Mediterranean food), suppose to open 3 weeks.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:42 PM
Closed account

I'm surprised they got the Crowne Plaza name with only 60% of the rooms reno'd.
Those rooms are BRUTAL! they need to spruce them all up.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

I actually thought the suites looked good! Complete with a fireplace, a nice looking bathroom and topped off with flat screen tv in each room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton