HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Must of had someone creeping this thread. LOL!

Look, you don't seem to give a shit about Canadian University Sport gaining a wider audience in Canada. Thats your right as a free person. I couldn't give two shits about the Jays or Raptors and my interest in the NHL is waning by the day.
I just believe that the National Broadcaster should highlight domestic over non-domestic. I'm likely in the minority and I'm fine with that.
You can believe whatever you want.
The national broadcaster does highlight domestic over non-domestic sports.

A Canadian athlete or team can't fart in a competition without them covering it. Did you see the headlines on their sports page for today? Absolutely nothing like what you'll see on TSN and Sportsnet. And I don't think a single thing on the front page of their sports-section wasn't related to either Canadian teams or athletes.

Do I "give a shit" about U Sports getting a wider audience? Nah, not really, to be honest. Would it be nice? Sure. Should these networks tailor their coverage to what you personally like, or what they feel is most popular among their viewers and readers? I would suggest that they tend to do the latter, especially the CBC which unlike TSN and Sportsnet has increasingly few real financial incentives to cover most of these leagues and can be a bit more impartial about it.

Look at that basketball article I just linked you to. It was actually very well done. How many comments did it garner? Zero. How many shared it on social media? One. One person. People on this thread say there's a huge untapped market out there for these things, but it seems the evidence contradicts that idea.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:53 AM

As a quick comparison, this article "Is the Brier crowd getting out of hand?" has 109 comments and 3025 social media shares.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...oise-1.4017141

Another article, "Out at the Brier: Gay curler fulfills childhood dream" has 3424 shares.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...rler-1.4014835

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post

A Canadian athlete or team can't fart in a competition without them covering it. Did you see the headlines on their sports page for today? Absolutely nothing like what you'll see on TSN and Sportsnet. And I don't think a single thing on the front page of their sports-section wasn't related to either Canadian teams or athletes.

Do I "give a shit" about U Sports getting a wider audience? Nah, not really, to be honest. Would it be nice? Sure. Should these networks tailor their coverage to what you personally like, or what they feel is most popular among their viewers and readers? I would suggest that they tend to do the latter, especially the CBC which unlike TSN and Sportsnet has increasingly few real financial incentives to cover most of these leagues and can be a bit more impartial about it.

Look at that basketball article I just linked you to. It was actually very well done. How many comments did it garner? Zero. How many shared it on social media? One. One person. People on this thread say there's a huge untapped market out there for these things, but it seems the evidence contradicts that idea.
Hey thanks for the link. There is now 1 comment! LOL!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Hey thanks for the link. There is now 1 comment! LOL!
Thank you for doing your part

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Wrong

The fact that there are also zero comments on this article and a grand total of ONE social media share shows you how excited Canadians are about this tournament.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...inos-1.4018446
It's hard for people to be interested when they don't even know it's going on!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

That's not always true, as has already been stated.

BTW, CBC News Network is not TSN or Sportsnet. If you've ever watched it it only has very brief sports segments that allows of the mention of two or three stories usually. It's just odd that one of those stories should be NCAA March Madness.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
By that logic CBC shouldn't be covering the World Cup, the NHL, the NFL, the Olympics, the NBA playoffs, the World Series, the UEFA Euros, the big curling tournaments, the Blue Jays, or anything else being extensively covered by other networks.

I find this especially odd since you're literally complaining about a news network covering sports. This isn't a sports network, and the people who watch CBC News Network in the morning are less likely to be flipping over to TSN or Sportsnet, so for a lot of these folks, the CBC is the sole source of sports news that they get.

That necessitates the broad range of sports coverage that the CBC provides, as can be evidenced by the link I provided to their sports page.

Also...what "devoted coverage" are we really talking about here? CBC doesn't broadcast these things, they just show highlights (likely taking anywhere from thirty seconds to a minute), like they do for everything else. The federal case being made about this is just insanely bizarre.
It's about as bizarre as the CBC giving top coverage to an American election campaign when we're having an election campaign of our own here in Canada.

Or covering a snowstorm or tornado in the U.S. when similar weather events are hitting somewhere in Canada.

Mind you, the CBC doesn't really do this. But CTV and Global sometimes do.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's hard for people to be interested when they don't even know it's going on!
But I thought there was some huge untapped market of U basketball fans out there?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:38 AM

Quote:
That's not always true, as has already been stated.

BTW, CBC News Network is not TSN or Sportsnet. If you've ever watched it it only has very brief sports segments that allows of the mention of two or three stories usually. It's just odd that one of those stories should be NCAA March Madness.
Not always true?

So, if they show a thirty second clip of the Rose Bowl on CBC News Network, that means they're neglecting domestic sports? Don't be silly. I watch the network all the time (which is why I know it's not called Newsworld, unlike what some others here have called it) and you're right, it's not a sports network, but they do tend to focus on Canadian "stuff" disproportionately, and their webpage reinforces that in spades. You'd think the Brier was the biggest thing going on in the sports world right now.

NCAA March Madness when it hits its peak is definitely one of the "two or three" biggest sports stories that Canadians are interested in at the time. I don't find that offensive at all.

Frankly, they'll go out of their way to cover "Canadians" doing something significant, in any league or sport, anywhere. It's almost hokey the extent that they will go. But that's CBC for ya.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
But I thought there was some huge untapped market of U basketball fans out there?
Just like there was a huge untapped market of NCAA March Madness fans in Canada before our national sports media decided this was something they absolutely had to convince us that it's worth paying attention to?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Just like there was a huge untapped market of NCAA March Madness fans in Canada before our national sports media decided this was something they absolutely had to convince us that it's worth paying attention to?
Here we go again

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Not always true?

So, if they show a thirty second clip of the Rose Bowl on CBC News Network, that means they're neglecting domestic sports? Don't be silly. I watch the network all the time (which is why I know it's not called Newsworld, unlike what some others here have called it) and you're right, it's not a sports network, but they do tend to focus on Canadian "stuff" disproportionately, and their webpage reinforces that in spades. You'd think the Brier was the biggest thing going on in the sports world right now.

NCAA March Madness when it hits its peak is definitely one of the "two or three" biggest sports stories that Canadians are interested in at the time. I don't find that offensive at all.
I am not sure that's the case but even if it is, it's totally the result of conditioning by the media over a couple of decades.

Had they chosen to force-feed us Australian Rules Football instead with the same energy, people around the water cooler in Calgary and Kitchener would be talking about Collingwood, Essendon and St. Kilda instead.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:45 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Here we go again
At least on this front, this country is hopeless.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:54 AM

Quote:
I am not sure that's the case but even if it is, it's totally the result of conditioning by the media over a couple of decades.

Had they chosen to force-feed us Australian Rules Football instead with the same energy, people around the water cooler in Calgary and Kitchener would be talking about Collingwood, Essendon and St. Kilda instead.
The amount of Australian media penetration into the Canadian market is basically zilch, so it would have been a much larger undertaking if it was decided to do it.

You present these things as if there is some sort of behind the scenes boogey-man that one day decided "Canadians will watch March Madness and they will like it!" The reality is a bit more organic and gradual than that.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:55 AM

Quote:
At least on this front, this country is hopeless.
Woe is us this country won't be complete until we start caring about the Ryerson men's basketball team.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 3:15 PM

Saskatchewan Rush Lacrosse team is really on a streak..
They won against Colorado last night to another sold out crowd of 15 thousand in Saskatoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...2017-1.3990269

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 3:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another sport that gets almost no coverage.

There were more Canadians at that single game than will attend all of the 67 NCAA tournament games this March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Saskatchewan Rush Lacrosse team is really on a streak..
They won against Colorado last night to another sold out crowd of 15 thousand in Saskatoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...2017-1.3990269

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The amount of Australian media penetration into the Canadian market is basically zilch, so it would have been a much larger undertaking if it was decided to do it.

You present these things as if there is some sort of behind the scenes boogey-man that one day decided "Canadians will watch March Madness and they will like it!" The reality is a bit more organic and gradual than that.
It's more like this:

A Canadian network has an opportunity to acquire a "broadcasting property" from an American network for a "song". For much less than it would cost them to *properly* cover let's say the USport men's basketball finals.

In order to maximize the profit from their investment, they then promote the American property up the ying-yang to drum up interest for it.

It's not just sports BTW. I've just more or less described the business model for the entire Canadian TV industry in general.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:33 PM
The New Republic

Agree on all points.

In other news Carleton beat Ryerson 78-69 in the national championship game. Dalhousie topped McGill 69-63 for the bronze. Coverage by CBC, the Globe & Mail, TSN, etc. has been pathetic to non-existent. And this was our national tournament. The regular season, player bios, conference playoffs? Forget it!

46 teams, a 3 month season, 100s of games and the CBC manages a 3 paragraph article on the website to say who won? I guess now they can get back to covering foreign schools that few of us have any connection to.

Courtesy of USports

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Another sport that gets almost no coverage.

There were more Canadians at that single game than will attend all of the 67 NCAA tournament games this March.
Resentment, thy name is Acajack

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada