HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

1050 Somerset Street West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 12:18 AM

Those new renders look nice, and I think it would have looked great at only 20 floors.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 3:07 AM

It took a while, but I think Claridge finaly got the memo about the importance of design. Hopefuly after CP III and IV, they won't look back.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 12:26 PM

Looked at the article about this in the Sun this morning, and I agree that the design of this one is a lot better than CP1-4. I also think that it's location is suitable, and as commenters said on the article, that it's right around a commercial area of Breezehill, and shouldn't be of too much concern to the possible NIMBY's there.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 5:11 AM

Kids are gonna die on their way to play in the City Centre parking lot!!!!

And how can I enjoy a quart of Bud and a pickled sausage at the Elmdale when I know there's a phallic tower down the steeet?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:07 AM

this is so insensitive on claridge's part....peanut allergies have NOTHING on shadow allergies. you're right S-man...many children will die.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 4:26 PM

Staff report: http://hintonburg.com/1050staffreport.pdf
HCA response: http://hintonburg.com/1050Committee.pdf
And at planning Committee:
Quote:
David Reevely Live 2 ‏@ReevelyLive2

No debate. Approved unanimously.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 4:33 PM

this unwillingness to prolong debate, any debate, is irksome to me. Even if it's only to register comments on the record, e.g. "I have heard from my constituents that ______ and I think that ______ and going forward to the Site Control process I will work with staff to ensure that _______", just say something! Councils and Committees are speaking bodies (little-p 'parliaments') and we elect representatives to speak for us: so speak damnit!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 6:57 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 2:50 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
That wasn't half clever enough to be Swiftish. To be true to Swift, it would have to be internally consistent with a belief that 'Devco' was doing the right thing, not so blatantly sarcastic with every sentence. All in all that was one-sided vitriolic garbage.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:46 PM

alright, if that one didn't even get a chuckle, maybe this one will; from the Twitter:
Quote:
Hintonburg Hulk ‏@HintonburgHulk

CITY TAKE 20 YEAR DECIDE ON LRT BUT HAND OUT SECRET DEAL TO CONDO DEVELOPER FASTER THAN HULK RIP SHIRT http://www.ottawacitizen.com/touch/b...375/story.html
https://twitter.com/HintonburgHulk

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:24 PM
National Capital Region

appealed to the OMB

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:04 PM

But of course.....

6 more months without an already-approved building on this spot! Gather around, kids, and celebrate!

Lest I be slammed for being a tall building fetishist, I should add, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

There, that should sufficiently cover my ass, though I wonder what proud, self-prolaimed "community activist"/satirist appealed this to the OMB

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 1:42 AM

I believe that it's the whole HCA that's appealed.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

23-storey condo project at 1050 Somerset West to go ahead

OMB settlement clears path

By David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen October 17, 2012

OTTAWA — Claridge Homes can go ahead with plans to build a 23-storey condominium at 1050 Somerset St. W. after settling a challenge from the Hintonburg Community Association.

The builder and the community group reached the deal just before they were to begin a hearing at the Ontario Municipal Board on Wednesday, according to the community association. The building is still to be 23 storeys and can include the same number of units, but the site is to include some additional parking for Devonshire Public School next door, room for a day care affiliated with the school, and adjustments to the traffic plan to keep cars away from a laneway used by Devonshire students.

Two weeks ago, the community association held a fundraiser to put together $20,000 to $30,000 to fight the development, but two days of negotiations on the eve of the OMB hearing produced the settlement instead.

“We have acted on the advice of our lawyer and planner, who after working on this case for several weeks, advised that we had a very low chance of winning a decrease in height or density at the OMB hearing as a result of late developments in the case,” the community association wrote in a statement. “They have advised us that the combination of concessions being offered is very significant, and worth several million dollars.”

Claridge vice-president Neil Malhotra, who’s been dealing with the project, confirmed the details. “It’s moving forward,” he said of the project.

City council approved the zoning for the project earlier this year, but the community association appealed the decision on the grounds that it violated the spirit of an existing design plan for the neighbourhood. A corner of the lot Claridge intends to develop is covered by the plan, which sets six- or seven-storey limit for what’s supposed to be a gateway to Hintonburg just west of a bridge over the O-Train tracks; Claridge’s building is designed so that it meets that limit on the one corner, but the rest of the building is much taller.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/storey+...#ixzz29ffS1p2w

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:58 PM

Interestingly, the Hintonburg Community Association did not aknowledge the "proposed" Carling-Bayview LRT corridor community design plan, which study area overlaps their existing community design plan. They were trying to push the lower height limits into a proposed area which obviously will have higher intensification goals. It's nice that they took the advice of their lawyer who saw the error of their ways and they took some community benefits instead. Otherwise if Claridge waited for the LRT corridor study to be completed they might get 30 stories like Phoneix got for the office towers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
Interestingly, the Hintonburg Community Association did not aknowledge the "proposed" Carling-Bayview LRT corridor community design plan, which study area overlaps their existing community design plan. They were trying to push the lower height limits into a proposed area which obviously will have higher intensification goals. It's nice that they took the advice of their lawyer who saw the error of their ways and they took some community benefits instead. Otherwise if Claridge waited for the LRT corridor study to be completed they might get 30 stories like Phoneix got for the office towers.

Interesting, but it doesn't sound like you've quite grasped the City's position or ours. A big chunk of our appeal was on the by-law based on the OP designations and zoning in effect when it was passed. We, our counsel and planner considered that we had a good case. When Claridge dropped its appeal of the CDP the day before the hearing started, that had obvious repercussions for our appeal of the by-law. Both we and our counsel understood that the strongest part of our case had been taken off the table. At the 11th hour, we started down a different path.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:07 PM

Could you elaborate on the details of your case (and associated bylaw) and the reasoning for the dropping of case after the CDP appeal was dropped by Claridge. Much appreciated.

- Local resident

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 3:01 AM
National Capital Region

here is the OMB decision/minutes of settlement
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions...ec-04-2012.pdf

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:11 PM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa