HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 8:10 PM

Thats a good website. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 9:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I've been checking out the arrivals and departures boards at the GMIA website again and it is interesting to note that depending on the day, there can be 1-3 Air Canada flights from YQM to Toronto Billy Bishop.

This is a new development that I don't think has been reported in the media.

We can now fly from Moncton to Toronto Island on both AC and Porter. This is tremendous as Toronto Island is so close to downtown Toronto.

The flipside of this however is that there is now less frequency to Toronto Pearson. This may mean longer connection times if you are flying elsewhere on the continent.

I guess you can't have it both ways.
Further to the above, I have rechecked the departures board from the GMIA today, and (at least during the work week), there are six non stop Air Canada flights from Moncton to Toronto Pearson. There are an additional three Air Canada flights (via Montreal) to Toronto Billy Bishop. When you add in the WestJet and Porter flights, there are at least 11 flights per day from Moncton to Toronto (seven to Pearson and four to Billy Bishop). At certain times of the year, there will be additional capacity with perhaps as many as 14-15 flights from Moncton to T-Dot on a daily basis.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
??? I used Expedia and found lots of flights. All the majors go there including Air Canada.
I should have expanded a little on there. It's for a flight in the summer (post air canada dropping the flight) leaving from Halifax. At the very least I figured United would have, upon searching, offered a connection through Toronto, Newawk, or even a flight change at one of those airports. But nothing. Sigh.

EDIT: Expedia says United flights connecting through several east coast cities exist. But I didn't get these flights when searching on their official website. How is this even so? lawl.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Also, on Atlantic Canada related news, looks like Charlottetown will be seeing a service reduction from it's normal summer schedule.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/01/24/ac-domestic-s13/
I don't think Ch'town airport gets much traffic to begin with. I work in a building practically in their parking lot and have only seen one or two flights landing/taking off in almost 2 months.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I don't think Ch'town airport gets much traffic to begin with. I work in a building practically in their parking lot and have only seen one or two flights landing/taking off in almost 2 months.
I thought you might be exaggerating, but I just checked their website and they only list four arrivals and four departures per day from the airport at present (two each to/from Halifax and Toronto). That's pretty pitiful......

It's no wonder there are so many PEI cars in the long term parking lot at the GMIA......

The Charlottetown Airport states they had 278,000 passengers last year. I presume most of that is from expanded service during the summertime (WestJet and Delta), and winter snowbird flights (Sunwing). I am shocked at how poor the off season scheduled service to the airport is!!!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:19 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I thought you might be exaggerating, but I just checked their website and they only list four arrivals and four departures per day from the airport at present (two each to/from Halifax and Toronto). That's pretty pitiful......

It's no wonder there are so many PEI cars in the long term parking lot at the GMIA......

The Charlottetown Airport states they had 278,000 passengers last year. I presume most of that is from expanded service during the summertime (WestJet and Delta), and winter snowbird flights (Sunwing). I am shocked at how poor the off season scheduled service to the airport is!!!
With GMIA so relatively close it's not surprising why the Charlottetown Airport doesn't have that much traffic.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 12:47 PM

Charlottetown had just over 300,000 passengers go through for 2012. So to answer your question, it is the 3rd busiest in the Maritimes, making it busier than Saint John and Fredericton.

But let's be truthful here, there is only 1 airport in the Maritimes that is remotely busy (and it's not Moncton )

Last edited by billy1; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 1:44 PM

On the Atlantic Canada scene, St. John's International is doing quite well. It is growing very quickly and we are going to implement a new landing system which will allow like 98% of flights to get in and out (right now a big factor against our growth is the fog and weather affects on the ability to land at the Airport)

On the Canada scene Halifax ranks about 7 or 8 on most tables and St. John's ranks about 11 or 12 on most tables, and we are growing quite rapidly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

I was at a conference this week to do with developments in our province and it was stated that there are 26 billion dollars worth of developments on our door step.. Therefore I expect the growth to continue and probably spike after the new landing system is in place and the terminal is doubled in size

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And to complete the thought, the national rankings for the GMIA are (according to the same lists)

#16 for aircraft movements.
#18 for passenger volume
#9 for freight traffic

At 615,000 passengers per year, we are well behind Halifax, and also considerably behind St. John's but still clearly the third busiest airport in Atlantic Canada.

And no, I was not trying to create a "Moncton vs Charlottetown airport thing", I was merely expressing dismay at how little scheduled traffic there is out of the Charlottetown Airport during the winter doldrums....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:

And to complete the thought, the national rankings for the GMIA are (according to the same lists)

#16 for aircraft movements.
#18 for passenger volume
#9 for freight traffic

At 615,000 passengers per year, we are well behind Halifax, and also considerably behind St. John's but still clearly the third busiest airport in Atlantic Canada.

And no, I was not trying to create a "Moncton vs Charlottetown airport thing", I was merely expressing dismay at how little scheduled traffic there is out of the Charlottetown Airport during the winter doldrums....
A lot of this comes from the Maritimes being such a small area with many airports, therefore services like to concentrate themselves.. same with the west coast of Newfoundland with the two west coast airports, albeit a much larger population relative to the Moncton/ PEI area compared to western NL
however same principle

Also there is no denying that Moncton is doing quite well for itself

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Further to the above, I have rechecked the departures board from the GMIA today, and (at least during the work week), there are six non stop Air Canada flights from Moncton to Toronto Pearson. There are an additional three Air Canada flights (via Montreal) to Toronto Billy Bishop. When you add in the WestJet and Porter flights, there are at least 11 flights per day from Moncton to Toronto (seven to Pearson and four to Billy Bishop). At certain times of the year, there will be additional capacity with perhaps as many as 14-15 flights from Moncton to T-Dot on a daily basis.

In July from Moncton I see from all airlines, 7 direct flights to Pearson, plus 2 one stop flights to Toronto Island via Ottawa on porter. Total 9 flights.

In February I see 6 direct flights to Pearson plus 3 one stop flights to Toronto via Montreal and 1 one stop flight via Ottawa. Total 10 flights

Also the current AC flights to Toronto Island from Moncton are up to 3 hours and 40 minutes.

Just for comparison Stanfield has approx. 25 daily direct and and one-stop flights to Toronto in July. One flight is even a wide body 767 with over 200 seats.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

In July from Moncton I see from all airlines, 7 direct flights to Pearson, plus 2 one stop flights to Toronto Island via Ottawa on porter. Total 9 flights.

In February I see 6 direct flights to Pearson plus 3 one stop flights to Toronto via Montreal and 1 one stop flight via Ottawa. Total 10 flights

Also the current AC flights to Toronto Island from Moncton are up to 3 hours and 40 minutes.

Just for comparison Stanfield has approx. 25 daily direct and and one-stop flights to Toronto in July. One flight is even a wide body 767 with over 200 seats.
Not sure I appreciate the Pinnochio emoticon...

I was looking at the current departures board, not February or July.

On Tuesday this week, there were 7 direct flights to Pearson from GMIA (6 AC & 1 WestJet) and 4 one stop flights to Billy Bishop (3 AC & 1 Porter). That is a total of 11 flights to Toronto. I was not exaggerating (as you imply).

I was only assuming that there would be increased frequency in the summertime (as there frequently is). At times, there can be as many as 3 Porter flights to Toronto daily and there can be as many as 2 WestJet flights daily too.

I'm not sure why this matters so much to you q12, you're not feeling threatened are you?

I'm glad that YHZ has 25 flights daily to Toronto in July. Just don't expect me to be on any of them. If given the chance, I will avoid making connections at all costs, and you will be seeing me fly out of the GMIA 100% of the time to T-Dot, whether we have 9,10,11 or even 12 flights daily.....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Not sure I appreciate the Pinnochio emoticon...

I was looking at the current departures board, not February or July.

On Tuesday this week, there were 7 direct flights to Pearson from GMIA (6 AC & 1 WestJet) and 4 one stop flights to Billy Bishop (3 AC & 1 Porter). That is a total of 11 flights to Toronto. I was not exaggerating (as you imply).

I was only assuming that there would be increased frequency in the summertime (as there frequently is). At times, there can be as many as 3 Porter flights to Toronto daily and there can be as many as 2 WestJet flights daily too.

I'm not sure why this matters so much to you q12, you're not feeling threatened are you?

I'm glad that YHZ has 25 flights daily to Toronto in July. Just don't expect me to be on any of them. If given the chance, I will avoid making connections at all costs, and you will be seeing me fly out of the GMIA 100% of the time to T-Dot, whether we have 9,10,11 or even 12 flights daily.....
I'm sure he was not trying to create a "Halifax vs Moncton airport thing", He was merely expressing dismay at how little scheduled traffic there is out of the Moncton Airport at certain times of the year......

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
I'm sure he was not trying to create a "Halifax vs Moncton airport thing", He was merely expressing dismay at how little scheduled traffic there is out of the Moncton Airport at certain times of the year......

q12 is a big booster of the hub and spoke principle, just so long as Halifax is the hub.......

If it were up to him, the only way you could get to Toronto from Charlottetown would be via Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:

q12 is a big booster of the hub and spoke principle, just so long as Halifax is the hub.......

If it were up to him, the only way you could get to Toronto from Charlottetown would be via Halifax.
It's all in good fun. Just trying to keep the Moncton Boasters in line.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:34 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
It's all in good fun. Just trying to keep the Moncton Boasters in line.

Is it Boosters or Boasters? I can't seem to remember

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The 'Cats are on a five game winning streak and the Jaskin/Barbashev/Danault line is firing on all cylinders. Don't be surprised if the Presidents Cup final won't be between the Moose and the Cats this year. If this transpires, and if it is anything like the Cats/Sea Dogs final three years ago, it would be a real humdinger!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:

The 'Cats are on a five game winning streak and the Jaskin/Barbashev/Danault line is firing on all cylinders. Don't be surprised if the Presidents Cup final won't be between the Moose and the Cats this year. If this transpires, and if it is anything like the Cats/Sea Dogs final three years ago, it would be a real humdinger!!

One thing is for sure if it happens we are looking at two sold out arenas for the series.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:15 AM

Ops Wrong league ..

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 2:50 AM

I'll be the first to admit...there's no competition between Moncton and Charlottetown in air traffic Moncton has an obvious edge, and I would assume (as an outsider) that Charlottetown peaks in traffic during the tourist months

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces