HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:12 PM
Londoner

Your vote could put London in the game

NEW MONOPOLY: Canadians can vote once daily till Feb. 7

By PATRICK MALONEY, THE LONDON FREE PRESS

Last Updated: 11th January 2010, 10:51am

That's the advice of the city's tourism boss as a competition launches today to pick 20 Canadian communities -- the Forest City is among the contenders -- to fill the squares on an updated Canadian version of the classic family game.

"Anything that gives us a positive image and puts a positive light as a community is always good," said John Winston, general manager of Tourism London.

"Why say no to something that would give us some good, positive exposure?"

That's not to say a Monopoly spot would produce a tangible tourism boost for London -- "I've never, quite frankly, seen any of these (similar) games generate a major economic benefit for any city," Winston says -- but he hopes Londoners get behind the idea.

"Let's have fun with it and see where the cards fall."

With 65 selected cities competing, Canadians can vote online once daily from today until Feb. 7 to get their city into the top 20. The city that gets the most votes will fill the high-rent space traditionally held by Boardwalk.

Though there will be a few Canadian-inspired tweaks, the game will ultimately be the same as the classic that's sold more than 250 million copies since it was created 75 years ago.

"It's a fun thing," Marisa Pedatella of Hasbro Canada said of the competition. "This is going to be a permanent Canadian edition -- it's not a one-off -- so you're getting your mark on there."

If a similar previous competition is any indication, the voting could be intense, Pedatella says: A world Monopoly game was launched in 2008 with three Canadian cities among those from around the globe vying for board space.

Residents in the Canadian cities -- Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal -- voted enough to get all three on the game.

How to vote To vote for London, or any other city, to be included in a new edition of the board game Monopoly, go to

http://ec2-174-129-107-20.compute-1....om/en_CA/world

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 1:40 AM

I see no reason not to put London in the Canadian edition of Monopoly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 6:12 AM
Londoner

Did you vote for London!!! Last time I voted London was in 9th place!!!!! We must try to get boardwalk.

How to vote To vote for London, or any other city, to be included in a new edition of the board game Monopoly, go to

http://ec2-174-129-107-20.compute-1....om/en_CA/world

Last edited by ldoto; Jan 14, 2010 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Link doesn't work.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 6:33 PM

London could be the jail...other than that, it doesn't deserve to be on the board.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 5:16 AM
Londoner

Try it now!!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
London could be the jail...other than that, it doesn't deserve to be on the board.
I think Kingston, Ontario should be the jail.

Here's what I'd like to see on the board, in order of spaces starting after GO:

Burnaby
Bank of Canada
Kitchener
Income Tax (pay $12,000)
C.P. Railroad
Windsor
Chance ?
Longueuil
Vaughan
In Jail/Just Visiting
Gatineau
Hydro-Quebec
Markham
London
C.N. Railroad
Laval
Bank of Canada
Halifax
Surrey
Free Parking
Brampton
Chance ?
Quebec City
Hamilton
Ontario Northland Railroad
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Water Works
Mississauga
Go To Jail
Edmonton
Ottawa
Bank of Canada
Calgary
Goderich-Exeter Railway
Chance ?
Montreal
Luxury Tax ($10,000)
Toronto
Welfare Cheque - Pick up $1000

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 9:33 PM

That's what I envision (except maybe put Vancouver further ahead). I don't like this "voting" idea (come on, Medicine Hat??? Toronto and Vancouver weren't even on the board at last check). They should just arrange it by population.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
That's what I envision (except maybe put Vancouver further ahead). I don't like this "voting" idea (come on, Medicine Hat??? Toronto and Vancouver weren't even on the board at last check). They should just arrange it by population.
I arranged the cities by population using the municipal populations in the 2006 Census.

I've given it more thought and I think all the provincial capital cities should be included as well. I realized that when I noticed PEI had no representation.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 5:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^that would be reasonable. I actually prefer a board that commensurates with the relative sizes of the big Canadian cities. I would find it preposterous to have London or Saskatoon on Boardwalk with say, Montreal or Toronto on St. Charles Place.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 7:35 PM

True, representation based on population, with special consideration given to provincial capitals and unrepresented provinces and territories would be ideal. Toronto and Montreal take Boardwalk and Park Place with no contest, Baltic and Mediterranean could be Charlottetown and Fredricton with the next three being the Territorial capitals of Iqaluit, Whitehorse, and Yellowknife. The rest would be in order by population.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy