HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marquee at Block 37 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:18 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Great update. I still can't get over how quickly they got this thing moving....very impressive.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
is this going to be steel frame then?
No, I don't believe so. It will be similar to Joffrey Tower across the street. Steel frame base, then a transfer system of steel trusses and a transfer mat, then concrete frame residential tower above...........an engineer or architect please correct me if I've butchered this!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:54 PM
BANNED

man traffic is going to be a cluster for awhile.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Tower Crane Base In-Place

So it's going roughly midblock, alongside the building on Randolph.

This will make no sense now, but I had this idea that they would be mounting the tower crane on the roof (I think I was just automatically thinking back to BCBS). If only I read my own post from one week ago!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:43 PM
BANNED

^I saw that this morning! It's the best option now that they have 3 lanes worth of space along Randolph for staging. Definitely would be wise to stay away from Randolph, east of State, for the next 2 years..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:13 PM
you know where I'll be

^ True. But you know what - I have every reason to believe - and CIM Group has every reason to push hard for - that this will be a fast-track project, start-to-finish (we know how it's started!). I mean, it would seem to me that CIM has every motivation to get this up, occupied, and all staging/hints of construction gone as soon as possible. I think Spring '16 might even be the latest this tower will be completed by.........maybe Winter '16?? Is there an outside chance late Autumn '15???

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:16 PM
BANNED

^On second thought, you're right. 18 months is a more realistic estimate.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 6:42 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I have a feeling it might even be more like 14-16 months.........

On another note, I've heard that 3rd floor tenants (such as they exist - well one for certain is that Ladies and Gentlemen salon) are closing up shop for a week due to the construction.....not exactly sure what aspect thereof necessitates this.....maybe someone here knows or can put forth a highly educated guess?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:18 AM

It looks like CBS might (finally) be putting up a larger screen at the corner of Washington and Dearborn to cover all of the designated space. They have scaffolding up and it looks like they mounted brackets so I'm hopeful that's what they're doing. It has looked unfinished for so many years now and they seem to hardly ever have it turned on.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 12:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It looks like CBS might (finally) be putting up a larger screen at the corner of Washington and Dearborn to cover all of the designated space. They have scaffolding up and it looks like they mounted brackets so I'm hopeful that's what they're doing. It has looked unfinished for so many years now and they seem to hardly ever have it turned on.
Sigh...cheap bastards. I realize that I should be saying "better late than never" but I'm not going to give that to them. How on earth could CBS have not been able to afford to do this properly in the very beginning? This isn't the construction of a skyscraper, it's a video screen. This isn't Raleigh, NC, it's one of North America's largest and most important cities.

It's shameful, and I wish the city would have taken a harder stance against CBS for taking so many damn years to rectify this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Everything seems to be going to be plan. Some interesting construction shots. Great updates as always. Moving faster than I expected.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:57 PM
BANNED

10/27

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:36 PM

I wonder where the resident entrance will be. I wouldn't want to have to walk through a mall to get to my home.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:46 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It's on Randolph. You can see where it is exactly next time you're on Randolph (or someone could post a picture? ) (actually, come to think of it, it won't be as easy to see now with the construction - but it was easily made out for the several years before they started!) All the space has been allocated for there since the retail component itself was just a blueprint. Lobby, elevator core (which was set up with the expectation - or at least the flexibility - to have it divided so that one side - the West - was for a hotel, and the other - the East - was for residential.....now of course it will just be configured as as a single larger residential elevator lobby), stairwells.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:17 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
That would be quite amazing if they finally complete it.

On the retail front, it looks like they may have signed leases for the small first floor street-level spot next to Sephora, the entire Puma space, the two largest remaining spaces on the third floor, and the non-AMC portion of the fourth floor. If all those go through, that mainly leaves just the second floor mostly vacant.

And the residential entrance

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:49 PM

Looks like a bowling alley ("City Strike") but that could be render filler.

Would they need approval for all that signage? Looks like it's illuminated/LEDs. They had to get a variance approval just for those flags.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:30 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Great stuff, Spyguy! Things are really starting to move on the retail front now.
Very exciting....at long last!

As for a bowling alley, my understanding is that they at least were really trying to/in the process of landing one for the third floor. Could this be one of the leases Spyguy mentioned?

My guess is that they probably would need approval as far as various signage. I really hope they do go for a bunch of large LED lights such as what seems to be depicted. I think it's quite appropriate here. Like how it ties into other Theater District area signs/marquees, and also I think it's a wonderful sort of counterpoint to Macy's.....I think they would work well together....

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:40 PM

We've already got 2 downtowny upscale martini bowling places (10 Pin and Lucky Strike). I don't know anything about the bowling market but I'd be surprised if there's demand for yet another.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
We've already got 2 downtowny upscale martini bowling places (10 Pin and Lucky Strike). I don't know anything about the bowling market but I'd be surprised if there's demand for yet another.
Brooklyn Bowl potentially in the pipeline as well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Brooklyn Bowl potentially in the pipeline as well.
At least two other operators are looking for space.

Arguably they each inhabit different niches in their ecosystem. I think there is easily room for a couple more of these concepts.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:33 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I agree. There is so much more room for expansion of supply in numerous retail/entertainment segments downtown. Second largest downtown in the country, and there is tons of demand unfullfilled......2 bowling alleys is nothing. 3 movie theaters - nothing....on and on and on........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive