HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 2:45 PM

New condo advocacy group forming to be voice to City Hall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...roup-1.7086298

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:41 PM

Not surprised by this and is why I am still optimistic about London's downtown over the long term.

The downtown population is booming and that will continue but more importantly is that the people moving downtown are of higher income and more educated. This means more political power by people who are more likely to vote.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:17 PM

LFP article on the state of the London Plan.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...he-london-plan

Many parts of the London Plan were outdated as it was being written and out of touch with the reality at that time. It was in many ways a stuck in amber document rather then a visionary future planning document. Hopefully the review delivers much needed changes to enable higher densities and build up and not out strategies. If developers want to put up 40-60 story towers downtown then we need to have planning documents that don't put stupid restrictions and obstacles in the way like we have currently.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

Many parts of the London Plan were outdated as it was being written and out of touch with the reality at that time. It was in many ways a stuck in amber document rather then a visionary future planning document. Hopefully the review delivers much needed changes to enable higher densities and build up and not out strategies. If developers want to put up 40-60 story towers downtown then we need to have planning documents that don't put stupid restrictions and obstacles in the way like we have currently.
The excuse from many politicians for not building LRT was that the city is growing slowly so it won't be needed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:41 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

We hit 2031 population estimates in 2024, 7 years early. All the infrastructure work needed to support that growth is basically 7 years behind.

If we were trying to play catch-up before, we're now simply trying to keep head above water. All this growth is cool and we shouldn't jeopardize it.

Example in the article- a highrise development had to be denied because the sewer system in the area was already at 98% capacity

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
The excuse from many politicians for not building LRT was that the city is growing slowly so it won't be needed.
Those conversations were mostly from 2014-2016. They could not be more wrong. You didn't miss the net- you didn't miss the bucket... you air balled 90 degrees into the crowd

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Mar 21, 2024 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
And I wonder what those so called 'politicians' are even doing today.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:28 AM

Planning committee voted to endorse converting some lands in the city from light industrial-use to residential-use and mixed-use. Still has to go to full council for approval next week.

LFP article: https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...47000-new-ones

Report from planning staff: https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=107101

"These land conversions (outlined in red in the maps below) could accommodate more than 1,000 new homes, given that many will be high-density apartments and townhouses."

former Kellogg factory lands - This could see homes, such as condominiums or apartments. The former cereal factory lands are now a mixed-use commercial and entertainment district with further redevelopment planned.

Hyde Park commercial industrial area - south of Fanshawe Park Road and west of Hyde Park Road. The portion of these lands recommended for conversion is now largely vacant with established commercial and light-industrial plazas to the north and east.

north side of Fanshawe Park Road, west of Hyde Park Road

York Street - between Maitland and Rectory

Light Industrial Area South of CN Rail, Maitland Street to Rectory Street

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:27 AM

Thanks for the information. I am surprised that it has taken this long. The Kellogg site and York sites should go quickly as they are basically adjacent to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:54 AM

I know the ultimate plan at 100 Kellogg is to redevelop the Drexel warehouse space on the south end of the property once all the other stuff is finished and the complex is making money. Drexel has been adding to their capacity at their other locations in the city and a warehouse logistics facility doesn't really fit into what the owners are trying to do at 100 Kellogg. But the rent Drexel pays for those couple hundred thousand sq ft of space is basically what allowed the rest of the re-development to start.

I don't know if they even know yet what they will do with that part of the property, but a 2 or 3 tower (maybe similar to the Medallion project on the other side of the fairgrounds) would look good there, with a good size podium and underground parking garage that might also allow them to put something on their parking lots along the west side of Kellogg Lane.

Part of the lands in red in that is the plot at the southeast corner of Dundas and Eleanor, which somewhere way back in this forum is a proposal to build something. I know the developer was the owner of the Finch Auto group, but I don't recall what it was he was proposing there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
Planning committee voted to endorse converting some lands in the city from light industrial-use to residential-use and mixed-use. Still has to go to full council for approval next week.

LFP article: https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...47000-new-ones

Report from planning staff: https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=107101

"These land conversions (outlined in red in the maps below) could accommodate more than 1,000 new homes, given that many will be high-density apartments and townhouses."

former Kellogg factory lands - This could see homes, such as condominiums or apartments. The former cereal factory lands are now a mixed-use commercial and entertainment district with further redevelopment planned.

Hyde Park commercial industrial area - south of Fanshawe Park Road and west of Hyde Park Road. The portion of these lands recommended for conversion is now largely vacant with established commercial and light-industrial plazas to the north and east.

north side of Fanshawe Park Road, west of Hyde Park Road

York Street - between Maitland and Rectory

Light Industrial Area South of CN Rail, Maitland Street to Rectory Street

very interesting, thanks for the link and maps. I live not too far from the Hyde Park lands under possible conversion (my neighborhood south of Gainsboroug Rd. and east of Hyde Park Rd)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:11 PM

Looks like Copp's on Fanshawe Park is part of this. Last time I drove by there (December 2023) it was still there; did they close?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Looks like Copp's on Fanshawe Park is part of this. Last time I drove by there (December 2023) it was still there; did they close?
No its still there and quite busy. I think this is more about future zoning, not really changing what is currently operating on the properties. For example, on York St between Adelaide and Rectory, 745 York is shown in purple. That was for decades a Canada Trust warehouse then TD bank call centre and is now a large Uhaul storage facility. I just posted the other day the construction going on there right now with a large new building (I'm assuming a maintenance building) being built in the west parking lot. So, that lot, even if rezoned, isn't going to sprout apartments anytime soon. The lot to the west of that is the building Start.ca was supposed to build their new headquarters at. Now that they are owned by Telus, who knows what they will do with it. Presently the old warehouse on the site houses supplies for their continual installation of fiber optic networks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
And I wonder what those so called 'politicians' are even doing today.
Some of them are now the mayor...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Some of them are now the mayor...
And I hate him. I even emailed him and told him and city council off basically. Just another useless council wasting another 4 years.

But also, good news for the lands. Most of those lands are downtown and are a major shithole at the moment, would love to see them all redeveloped.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues