HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 2:14 PM

Who has a stake in the housing crisis?

I saw this article and was wondering if any of our provincial or even municipal representative have stakes in this housing crisis, and who they are specifically so we know who to not vote for

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:10 PM

Municipal, Provincial and Federal participation. This is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdQ89sgL6XE

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I saw this article and was wondering if any of our provincial or even municipal representative have stakes in this housing crisis, and who they are specifically so we know who to not vote for
It's quite interesting how many MPs are landlords. Even more interesting those reported as "Landlord but no rental income"? It does make you wonder how many would back something like a vociferous CRA crackdown on unreported rental income.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It's quite interesting how many MPs are landlords. Even more interesting those reported as "Landlord but no rental income"? It does make you wonder how many would back something like a vociferous CRA crackdown on unreported rental income.
I would not be surprised if many of these "Landlords without rental income" simply own real estate where the rent either barely or does not cover the expenses. That's almost the norm in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:03 PM
victory in near

Quote:
you don't have to charge your kids rent.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
you don't have to charge your kids rent.
True, I wonder if that's what it is. I wouldn't think to describe a relationship with your kids living at home rent-free as "landlord" but maybe the disclosure rules interpret it that way. It's a bit confusing in the article as the status of "no income" seems based on what the MP disclosed but wouldn't they have to disclose any income at all?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
True, I wonder if that's what it is. I wouldn't think to describe a relationship with your kids living at home rent-free as "landlord" but maybe the disclosure rules interpret it that way. It's a bit confusing in the article as the status of "no income" seems based on what the MP disclosed but wouldn't they have to disclose any income at all?
If you read the actual MP disclosures instead of this personal analysis (form) you'll see there is no such thing as declaration of "landlord" only declaration of "owning investment property".

The above website is inserting the "landlord" designation themselves.

If you look at Randy Boissonnault you'll see he's considered a "landlord but no reported rental income" yet all he declared was "Nominal interest in an investment property located in Edmonton, Alberta" which probably means he's on title for his mom's house or something.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
If you read the actual MP disclosures instead of this personal analysis (form) you'll see there is no such thing as declaration of "landlord" only declaration of "owning investment property".

The above website is inserting the "landlord" designation themselves.

If you look at Randy Boissonnault you'll see he's considered a "landlord but no reported rental income" yet all he declared was "Nominal interest in an investment property located in Edmonton, Alberta" which probably means he's on title for his mom's house or something.
I see. One has to wonder how valid the study is if it lumps MPs like Boissonnault under the "landlord" banner with serial house flipper Taleeb Noormohamed.

Vancouver Liberal candidate flipped at least 21 homes since 2005
By Martin MacMahon

Posted August 30, 2021 5:21 am. Last Updated September 8, 2021 11:05 am.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Days after the Liberal candidate for Vancouver Granville said he didn’t “want to speculate” on how many rapid-fire real estate deals he’s been involved with in a short period of time over the last decade, NEWS 1130 has learned Taleeb Noormohamed has bought and sold at least 21 homes within a year of buying them since 2005.

It comes as the Liberals campaign on housing affordability as part of the party’s platform in this year’s federal election, even going so far as to promise an anti-flipping tax...

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/0...d-real-estate/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics