HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:23 PM

Vancouver 2018 Mayoral Election Thread

With Gregor Robertson announcing he will not seek reelection, I thought that a new thread would be worthwhile.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ayor-1.4481563

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:26 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

This makes me very happy.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:27 PM

Hmm... I wonder where he will end up. We're 10 months out now and it seems wide open. None of the major parties appear to have a mayoral candidate. What a circus.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:36 PM
See ya down under, mates

He will be remembered for ending homelessness in 2015 as promised, thanks Gregor.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
He will be remembered for ending homelessness in 2015 as promised, thanks Gregor.
Anybody, and I mean everybody, that voted for him based on him achieving that insanely impossible goal needs to get their grasp on reality checked also.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:58 PM

Great news.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

See ya later MOONBEAM.

Now if we could only get someone, ANYONE, with a half a brain cell of common sense to run for mayor, we might actually return back to sanity here in Vancouver, but I'm not exactly holding my breath on that one.

All the same, goodbye Moonbeam. One of the worst mayors in this city's history.

You left a legacy that will take a generation to fix.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
See ya later MOONBEAM.

Now if we could only get someone, ANYONE, with a half a brain cell of common sense to run for mayor, we might actually return back to sanity here in Vancouver, but I'm not exactly holding my breath on that one.

All the same, goodbye Moonbeam. One of the worst mayors in this city's history.

You left a legacy that will take a generation to fix.

Amen and Amen ... (pardon me, Lord)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:51 PM

There's already a 2018 Civic Election Thread. Perhaps this should be merged with that.

Good riddance to Mayor Moonbeam, must have seen the writing on the wall.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:05 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Vision lost their two biggest problems with Robertson and Meggs. Their existing Councillors arn't capable of stepping up to the plate so this will be interesting to see if a star candidate is brought in or if the party self implodes. COPE is probably even happier with the developments then the NPA is.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:11 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:41 AM

But will gregor's "piece de resistance" be half tearing down the viaducts so there is no choice.

Anyone project a nice consulting gig is on the table with one of the developers/marketing companies (ahem... rennie)?!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:34 AM

to be the dissenting opinion here, I though he did a good job as mayor. people may dislike his policies but his administration put in a lot of new initiatives that IMO will set a standard for future city halls - bike infrastructure of course, green initiatives and emphasis for marginalized groups. He lost political capital on things that he could have punted, like the burrard st suicide barriers or temporary modular homeless housing in marpole.

would agree that this would help COPE more than NPA, although a split vote would help the NPA in the end. then again, I really don't see a front runner so far for mayor. it would be interesting to see if the YIMBY/abundant housing crowd steps up and where if/who they would join party-wise.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:00 AM
SkyTrain Nut

He knew damn well he was going to be crucified in the election.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 6:40 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Vancouver mayor won’t run for re-election because he can no longer afford to live in Vancouver
by MARY GILLIS

VANCOUVER – After ten years as Vancouver’s mayor, Gregor Robertson has announced he will not be running for re-election because he can’t afford to live in the city anymore.

“I love Vancouver and serving as its mayor has been the greatest privilege of my life,” Robertson said in a press release. “But an unfortunate side effect of my success in making Vancouver into a world-class centre of culture and commerce is that I am not financially able to continue to live here.”

“I’m not rich, I’m just a regular millionaire. My annual salary of $165,000 barely covers the cost of parking.”

Robertson’s planned departure from Vancouver, which has the highest cost of living of any city in Canada, is the most recent example of an exodus of non-monied that the city has been experiencing, turning what was once a thriving metropolis into a gilded ghost town.

“It’s bad enough we can’t find regular servants anymore, but now we’re losing civil servants, too?” says local billionaire advocate Tiffany Getty. “I just hope our next mayor is someone who realizes that a city like Vancouver needs a robust, settled underclass if the wealthy are going to thrive.”

“And can afford a one bedroom plus den in Yaletown.”

Robertson plans to spend his last ten months as mayor fighting with his roommates over who should pay for the damage to the carpet in the living room from their last party
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/01...ive-vancouver/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
to be the dissenting opinion here, I though he did a good job as mayor. people may dislike his policies but his administration put in a lot of new initiatives that IMO will set a standard for future city halls - bike infrastructure of course, green initiatives and emphasis for marginalized groups. He lost political capital on things that he could have punted, like the burrard st suicide barriers or temporary modular homeless housing in marpole.

would agree that this would help COPE more than NPA, although a split vote would help the NPA in the end. then again, I really don't see a front runner so far for mayor. it would be interesting to see if the YIMBY/abundant housing crowd steps up and where if/who they would join party-wise.
COPE? Does COPE even exist anymore, they didn't run anyone in the byelection.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics