HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
As I think about it, his kid is in the same situation as Manziel. Duron Carter is an NFL talent with a kid's attitude.

It'll be interesting with JM though, all the signs are positive so far, I hope it has a happy ending.
Agree 110%. I want to like him but his attitude really rubs me the wrong way. The tipping point was last year when the camera caught him saying "what did your daddy ever do?" If that isn't immaturity I don't know what is (athough I think he is raising money for Humboldt victims so I guess there's hope for him yet).

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:16 PM

any word if Manziel's signing has impacted the Ti-Cats season ticket sales?

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
any word if Manziel's signing has impacted the Ti-Cats season ticket sales?
I'll bet ya it has. I honestly didn't think he would make as big an impact overall as he has, and the Americans are still very interested in him. His shirt sales were good on his signing.

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is that while Masoli had a decent half? year last year and has been around for a few years it's not exactly like Johnny TiCat is up against a proven guy like BLM or Mike Riley.

Should Masoli falter a bit, there isn't really any reason why Johnny Hammer might not be starting halfway through the season like Flutie did when he first came to the league. He really does follow the Flutie model.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:33 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'll bet ya it has. I honestly didn't think he would make as big an impact overall as he has, and the Americans are still very interested in him. His shirt sales were good on his signing.

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is that while Masoli had a decent half? year last year and has been around for a few years it's not exactly like Johnny TiCat is up against a proven guy like BLM or Mike Riley.

Should Masoli falter a bit, there isn't really any reason why Johnny Hammer might not be starting halfway through the season like Flutie did when he first came to the league. He really does follow the Flutie model.
There is going to be a bit of pressure from ESPN and maybe TSN to get him into games. Unspoken pressure, I’m sure, but everyone knows what their ideal scenario would look like. I appreciate Masoli sticking it out in the CFL for so long and finally getting a well deserved crack at number one status, but as you say he’s not Mike Reilly.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
but as you say he’s not Mike Reilly.
Good catch, my bad, as the kids used to say.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:15 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
There is going to be a bit of pressure from ESPN and maybe TSN to get him into games. Unspoken pressure, I’m sure, but everyone knows what their ideal scenario would look like. I appreciate Masoli sticking it out in the CFL for so long and finally getting a well deserved crack at number one status, but as you say he’s not Mike Reilly.
Masoli has done nothing but get better every season though (the guy was demoted to the PR at one point a few years ago, and worked his way back).

We'll see what happens now that he's officially been given the reins, but if the offense continues to succeed the way it did the last half of the 2017 season with Masoli running it, I think Manziel has to show A LOT before being handed the starter role.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 7:01 PM

Johnny "Canadian" Football still saying all the right things

Tim & Sid: Johnny Manziel talks adjusting to the CFL and Canada
sportsnet.ca May 23, 2018

Johnny Manziel joins Tim and Sid to talk about starting a new chapter in the CFL with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and proving the skeptics wrong.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 7:07 PM
Community Guy

Walking from Downtown to Commonwealth for some pre-season action.

GO ESKS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:48 PM

^ I didn't watch yesterday's game but I checked in briefly on TSN to see what was happening... looked like a beauty of an afternoon to be at the game. Made me wish that Sunday afternoon games weren't so uncommon these days.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:54 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

How was the game Cold ?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:46 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:07 PM
Community Guy

Twas all around fantastic except for the most awful hotdogs in the world as usual.

29,xxx in attendance, beautiful day, we looked good.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:14 AM
HVAC guru

The Grey Cup stopped for a visit to our complex today

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:44 AM

^ Shiny

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:58 PM
Community Guy

Not a bad way to 'kickoff' a Friday! Official launch event this AM with the Commish present to talk about the future of the game. He certainly mentioned a tenth (Atlantic) team a couple of times and about growing the game.

Grey Cup is in Edmonton this year and we are over 70% sold I am told.

A couple of old school SSP schmucks.

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:02 PM

^ 70% sold, impressive. Gotta hand it to Edmonton, no one else steps to support their teams and big events like you guys do.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:54 PM

Marcus Ball feeling right home with Argos soon to move into new practice digs
Frank Zicarelli The Toronto Sun May 30, 2018

When Marcus Ball joined the Argonauts in 2012, the environment was far from ideal, with the team practising in Mississauga and forced to use portables as a makeshift locker room.

Other than playing their home games in downtown Toronto, there was no connection with the city, its fans or corporate base.

That will soon change under MLSE’s ownership, with plans to finally provide the franchise with its long-overdue base and sporting complex to call home.

For players such as Ball, who either plan to, or currently reside in the downtown area, it means literally being able to walk or bike to work.

Once they return from a bye week following their home opener June 23 against Calgary in a Grey Cup rematch, the plan calls for the Argos to be housed at BMO, use adjoining Ricoh Coliseum where office space and a weight room will be set up, while practising at nearby Lamport Stadium, easily accessible by foot given its proximity to BMO.

Back in the days when the Argos used CNE Stadium as their home, players would walk or ride their bicycle to the baseball diamond near Dufferin St., a stone’s throw from where the Raptors practice facility now sits, for workouts.

For a quarter century, the Argos have been searching, scouring, at times begging, for an ideal setup that did not involve lengthy bus rides to a practice site that may or may not be available.

With MLSE on board and Bill Manning serving as Argos president, it was fully apparent his primary mandate was to fix a problem, or at least address it as best possible, that has lingered and compromised the club for seemingly forever.

Technically, the Argos won’t be under one roof, but the setup in and around BMO is as good as it could get.

There’s a GO Train for the likes of star quarterback Ricky Ray to tap into, which he plans on doing, a subway system that now connects Vaughan to downtown, buses, streetcars.

As anyone who lives in the city can attest, it’s not cheap, but CFL players often have two, sometimes three, roommates to save on expenses.

For players such as Cleyon Laing, who lives in Liberty Village, he can walk to work every day. Ball plans on moving into a unit this weekend near the CNE grounds.

“We’ve come a long way,” said Ball. “It’s been wonderful seeing how the organization has grown and become successful. We all know Rome wasn’t built in one day and there have been some trials and tribulations, but it feels good for the city to open up and appreciate us, for MLSE to take over.”

Image visibility has nowhere to go but up.

“Guys can now explore, integrate with people, see the many sights, experience what this beautiful city has to offer,” said Ball. “It’s fun, but it’s really exciting knowing we’ll be moving into BMO and everything. We’ve come full circle.”

This couldn’t have happened without MLSE’s purchase.

Manning also oversees TFC as its club president and no one knew better the delicate game that needed to be played to ensure no sporting nose was bent out of shape.

“I’ll be able to walk every day,” said Ball, who is hopeful this weekend’s closing date will be finalized, allowing his family to settle in Toronto. “My wife knows me and she knows I’ll get my mountain bike out and probably ride it to work.

“This is a unique and exciting opportunity for us to have BMO. It’s great.”

When they moved into Don Bosco High School last season, guys such as Tyler Holmes and Sean McEwen, both downtown condo dwellers and among the best offensive linemen in the CFL, rode the subway to Islington Station and then hopped a TTC bus to report for duty.

CFL players, for the most part, are average guys living normal lives that involve taking public transit.
For far too long, it hasn’t been normal for the club, not knowing where to practise, not having a weight room or appropriate office space to hold meetings.

MLSE has changed that and kudos to Manning for making it happen.

Until the move is completely ironed out, the Argos will continue to practise at York University.

TYMS STILL SOUR OVER RELEASE

Bryan Tyms will be back at Tim’s for the first time since his release from Tiger Town last season, a departure that admittedly left a sour taste.

It is the pre-season, but for someone who needs to take advantage of every rep, Friday’s game at Tim Horton’s Field in Hamilton has a different feel for Tyms.

He is a receiver, a pretty good one when he’s completely in sync with the offence, and he did join the Argos midway through 2017 when the Ticats showed him the door, an exposure to the Marc Trestman system that has served Tyms well in camp.
“Just the way I was released (by Hamilton), I didn’t have any respect for the league, period,” said Tyms, whose brother in law is Argos all-star slot S.J. Green. “Just off of what I witnessed there, the way I was treated, but coming over here and seeing that respect is what this team is all about. It’s been a blessing.”

Tyms has played in the NFL, been with various organizations, but it’s how the Argos go about their daily business tha’s given him a renewed sense of purpose.

“My passion for football came back,” said Tyms of his time as an Argo. “I’ve been cut numerous times and when you get cut, it’s never a hearty feeling.

“But I was pissed (when let go by Hamilton), I hated football. I didn’t even know if I would still want to do it (play) up here anymore. And then I came over here. It was tough at first because it was so different, it was discipline, everyone respects each other, no one uses curse words at each other, no one calls anyone the ‘N’ word, the ‘B’ word. We don’t disrespect anyone because we all hold each other accountable.”

The Argos have a need at receiver with Grey Cup MVP DeVier Posey signing with the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens. Tyms has had a solid camp and on Friday night, he’ll get a better handle on where he stands.

“I’m ready for this,” said Tyms. “If this game had happened a year ago, I would have done something stupid. I appreciate Trestman for that. I’m just ready to show them (the Ticats) what they left.”

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:57 PM

Argonauts to relocate football-operations staff
The Canadian Press June 1 2018

TORONTO — A new season under new ownership means new digs for the Toronto Argonauts.

Next month, the Argos football operations department will relocate to BMO Field, the club's home field. The team will practice at Lamport Stadium — a short walk from BMO — and players will have access to a new weight room at nearby Ricoh Coliseum, where GM Jim Popp's staff will also call home.

Head coach Marc Trestman and his staff will also have their own offices at BMO. New president Bill Manning spoke Thursday of the move at the Argos town hall meeting with roughly 1,000 fans and supporters.

"It's actually been my No. 1 priority since being named team president," said Manning. "I had dinner with Jim and Marc and said, 'If there's one thing where I can help, tell me what that is.'

"Both of them universally said, 'We need a better training situation and a better environment.' For Jim and Marc, hopefully it allows them a better situation for the guys to win football games and so I'm really happy we were able to pull this together."

Popp told the assembled fans Argos practices at Lamport will be open.

Manning said the players, coaches and football-operations staff will make the move to their new digs upon Toronto's return from a bye week following its June 23 home opener against the Calgary Stampeders. That will be a Grey Cup rematch after the Argos upset the West Division champions 27-24 in last year's CFL title game in Ottawa.

"While they're not walking out of their locker-room directly on to a field, it (Lamport) is literally five minutes away," Manning said. "That just provides so much of a better situation for us.

"That was the driving impetus, for me, to help Marc and Jim. I think it's pretty cool they're going to be downtown and fans can come watch practices and see the team."

Last year, the Argos operated their practice facility at Don Boscoe High School but had to take a 30-minute bus ride to and from Downsview Park to practise. The travel time ate into the allotted daily time Argos coaches had their players.

Until the move is made, the Argos will continue practising at York University. The club's administrative offices will remain in downtown Toronto.

The new football operations home is the latest development in what's been an eventful off-season for the Grey Cup champions.

In January, Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment added the Argos to its sports portfolio from co-owners Bell Canada and the Kilmer Group, MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum's holding company. The CFL club joined the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), soccer's Toronto FC, Toronto Marlies (AHL), Raptors 905 (NBA G-League) and TFC II (USL) as MLSE properties.

It also owns the Air Canada Centre and Maple Leaf Square and operates five other local sports facilities including BMO Field. Shortly after the acquisition, Manning, who's also the president of Toronto FC, was also named to the same post with the CFL franchise.

The deal was seen as a boon for the Argos, given MLSE's financial scale and experience operating multiple sports entities. Last season, Toronto averaged under 14,000 spectators at BMO Field which has a seating capacity of about 26,000.

One move MLSE did make was to roll back the average ticket price 23 per cent. So about 2,600 tickets will be sold for as low as $15 per game for season's seat holders and $19 per game for single-seat buyers.

The Argos will sell tickets in the lower bowl first and keep the upper deck on the east side empty, that is, unless demand to fill those seats increases.

Manning joined the Argos with no previous CFL experience but has worked in pro football. He served as the vice-president of sales for the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles (2004-08).

"The Philadelphia Eagles are one of the best-run franchises in the NFL," Manning said. "I didn't work on the football ops side but I was in charge of sales and services and it was a great opportunity for me to see how a football team operates and how you engage with your fanbase and how passionate the fans are.

"But I also got the chance to know our GM Tom Heckert well and this was when Andy Reid was the coach and I got to know a number of his assistants and see how they operated. I actually lean back on that and I think it's going to help me greatly."

As the hands-on president of two pro sports organizations, there are questions regarding how Manning will divide his time.

"It's something for me that's really come fluid," he said. "The one thing I think I've done a very good job of in my career . . . is compartmentalize and I've been good at prioritizing.

"Whatever are the most important things at the moment I'll make sure get done . . . and a number of my staff will work with both teams. My time is, I joke, 24-7, but it's something I'm really excited about."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:21 PM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:33 PM

Alouettes going retro

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/201...-making-moves/

I really liked these uniforms from 1970

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada