HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:14 PM
More Towers

Vancouver's $1 billion budget

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Are these votes to raise $400 million for spending usually fairly easy to pass during municipal votes?

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/b...822/story.html
On first scan, this jumps out to me:

Quote:
Projects

• Affordable housing: $125 million, including $85 million toward 2,550 new units, and $38 million to refurbish 251 units in city-owned buildings
If $85 million gets you 2550 new units, and $38 million only gets you 251 refurbished ones...surely it makes more sense to sell those 251 units to the private sector, or demolish and rebuild.

A huge oversimplification of what can be done, I know. But those numbers are so drastic that the public will no doubt we asking why their money is not being used as efficiently as possible.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Are these votes to raise $400 million for spending usually fairly easy to pass during municipal votes?
Sure why not? $702 over 3 years went through last time, now they are looking at $1008 over 4 years. Virtually the same after you account for inflation.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:38 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:41 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:48 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post

If $85 million gets you 2550 new units, and $38 million only gets you 251 refurbished ones...surely it makes more sense to sell those 251 units to the private sector, or demolish and rebuild.
That can't be right, can it? Maybe it's suppose to be 255 new units. 2550 new units at 85 million would be $33 333 per unit.

EDIT - What does this mean... "leveraging over $200 million of partner funding and prepaid leases)."

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:39 PM

what are "temporary bike lanes on cambie and granville bridges"

Let me guess, granville is going to get that stupid greenway they want to put down the middle and cambie is going to lose at least a lane.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:07 PM

The Granville plan is ok if it includes a staircase (or spiral ramp) directly down to Granville Island.

But the Cambie bridge plan is simply social engineering against he car. I use to ride my bike over the Cambie bridge all the time and there is plenty of room / no problem with the current set up for bikes and pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post

A huge oversimplification of what can be done, I know. But those numbers are so drastic that the public will no doubt we asking why their money is not being used as efficiently as possible.
It says $85M toward the 2550 new units. I assume there are other funding sources that are also going toward those units.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
But the Cambie bridge plan is simply social engineering against he car. I use to ride my bike over the Cambie bridge all the time and there is plenty of room / no problem with the current set up for bikes and pedestrians.
Andrea Reimer fully let it slip that their goal is to create congestion and that the rest of Metro is not seeing eye to eye with them about that. Vision forgets that our road and infrastructure affects the region and not just gregor's utopia.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenberries View Post
It says $85M toward the 2550 new units. I assume there are other funding sources that are also going toward those units.
I would infer that to mean that partnerships will be struck with development project proponents to incorporate affordable housing into market buildings. The project's CAC's (Community Amenity Contributions) would be allocated in-kind for the units to be incorporated into the building and the City's affordable housing funds would be applied to make up the difference between the CACs and the full cost of building and fitting out the units.

On-site in-kind CACs are always preferable since they represent free land and a lot of cost efficiencies of rolling in the soft and hard costs of the amenity into the overall project management and construction budget.

Here's a made-up scenario to illustrate this: Say an affordable housing apartment costs about $300,000 if the City were to build it in a free-standing 100% affordable building of 50 units. They would either use their own land, which would be 'free' but have an opportunity cost of no longer being able to sell it or use it for other purposes, or buy the land, which may be preferable to meet certain geographic equity policy goals. The City would then need to hire professional design and engineering services, a project management company, and then obviously build and commission the thing.

Now, say there's a proponent looking to build a 30 storey condo tower through a rezoning. The CACs would be calculated and let's say that the rezoning-created land lift would produce $7.5 million that could be applied towards affordable housing along with other CAC-funded things like park space, transportation improvements, etc. The City could take that $7.5M and apply all of it to the affordable housing project it wants to build on land it already owns but the building will cost $15M ($300Kx50 units) so the City will need to wait for more development to occur to generate the CACs to get to $15M, or it could use available capital to make up the difference.

Now, if through negotiations between the City and the Proponent the rezoning project were to be allowed an increase in height and density to be able to accommodate 50 units of affordable housing on site and provide the additional market units to create more CACs, then the City can 'piggyback' its affordable units on the sunk project costs of the market housing project. Say the extra density and height bump the CAC up to $9M, and the efficiencies (they already have the land capitalized in the market units, there are already architects and engineers hired, etc.) reduce the cost of building each unit of affordable housing to about $225,000 (down from $300,000 if the City were to build it in its conventional method). Then $9M of CACs could create 40 units of affordable housing. The City wants 50 units so it makes up the difference out of its affordable housing fund at the hard cost of $225,000 per unit for a total City expenditure of $1.65 Million, or $33,000 per affordable unit for the 50 unit affordable housing part of the market condo project. The City gets its 50 units of affordable housing and it's out of pocket $1.65 million and the $9 million CAC money is used on-site and in kind for a total project cost to the City of $10.65 million as a result of this public private partnership, versus a $15 million cost for the same number of units were the City to have done it on its own.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Andrea Reimer fully let it slip that their goal is to create congestion and that the rest of Metro is not seeing eye to eye with them about that. Vision forgets that our road and infrastructure affects the region and not just gregor's utopia.
Source?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I thought the plan has always been to create congestion at the entry points into downtown as a means of "metering" in traffic. The idea behind this is preferable to have congestion on the bridges and stanley park causeway as opposed to having congestion on downtown streets where there is a potential for gridlock. I can't recall where I heard this, but it makes sense to me.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Source?
I knew I remembered reading it on SSP... Link to post!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1983

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenberries View Post
I thought the plan has always been to create congestion at the entry points into downtown as a means of "metering" in traffic. The idea behind this is preferable to have congestion on the bridges and stanley park causeway as opposed to having congestion on downtown streets where there is a potential for gridlock. I can't recall where I heard this, but it makes sense to me.
Downtown is for people, the less cars driving through downtown the better.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:31 AM

So the number of children in the city is decreasing, but money spent on children is greatly increasing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Downtown is for people, the less cars driving through downtown the better.
The the smartest thing to do would be to lobby for a new crossing to be built east of downtown Vancouver to the north shore, say around Main street area, and then close the Stanley Park Bridge to general traffic (still use for transit, emergency services, pedestrians, and cyclists), if you firmly feel that way.

Until that time, downtown will be a through route for the 99 (people from the south heading north) and other traffic accessing the Lions Gate Bridge.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Of course. The Visionistas largely live with the 2km bubble zone radiating from downtown Vancouver. They have little interest or understanding of what happens outside of that.

They've done jack squat to preserve affordable houses for the middle class in Vancouver, and then get all pissy when the families forced out to the burbs dare to want to drive downtown.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 6:00 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Is there any precedence for any of these not being approved by the voters? It seems like people blindly vote yes without putting the least bit of thought into it (as is typical in any election).

On another note, I wonder if the "Beaver Creek" cleanup includes restoration of Beaver Lake in Stanley Park. There has been a sign posted there for the past few years promising restoration, but I have not heard anything about it in a long time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics