HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Just hate all the Chinese and be done with it folks.
Actually the people that are the most angry about this are Chinese decent and / or from Hong Kong / Taiwan, so shove the PC agenda.

I agree with the above about building the industrial base, that is not the issue here, the past and current human rights problems are.

Also, it is just not the smartest thing to do in the current social climate and in a city as diverse as Vancouver (again, people from Hong Kong and many other areas that have legitimate beef with the mainland Chinese government).

I am sure Vancouver's Japanese, Korean, and even Phillipine populations have their own issues with such a statement.

Not everything is about white people, which the drolling PC police are always hoping to twist it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:42 PM

If we were receiving a delegation (or Beijing wanted to make their annexation official), then this would make sense.

Otherwise it's a pretty boneheaded move. I don't recall City Council celebrating America's 240th Independence Day, or Ireland's 100th, or Singapore's 50th last year, etc. I mean seriously, at least they're multiples of ten! Surely there's better, more subtle or at least less offensive ways to kiss up to the PRC?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:53 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Lot's of reasons to dislike Vision, but I'm not seeing it in this. It's a flag raising ceremony and strictly pandering. Sure it might be in bad taste but it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:04 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
It would have been more potent an argument if you pointed to a potential conflict of interest in that the mayor has a food company that he's anxious to boost profits for in terms of exports to China.
The guy just doesn't have the greatest judgement is the point. We could spend days finding arguments and news articles to back up both sides. Now hes inadvertently getting mixed up with his GF's families controversies. If he had the foresight he could have realized that 'getting into bed' with someone who has close ties to corruption in foreign real estate will really do nothing for his argument about trying to help people with housing in this city. Not to 'raise a red flag' or anything...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
So sort of like what the western world did in establishing it's industrial economies from the 1850 to 1980s.

It's so easy to throw stones now that we've outsourced our pollution...
Did I say anywhere that was a good thing? How coincidental that just as the Western populace came to realize the importance of the environment and enact laws to protect it, multinationals saw a way to just export environmental degradation.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you s211........some folks like to see things in stark black or white, with communism being ALL bad and capitalism being pure and perfect. The reality here is that with wise leadership communism emphasizes TOGETHERNESS/UNITY on issues of social and even environmental equity vis-a-vis the often self centered if not selfish pro-profit goals of the myopic (short-term/quarterly earning focused) corporate West.
LOL, and the corrupt Communist Party ruling China manages to combine the worst of both.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
So sort of like what the western world did in establishing it's industrial economies from the 1850 to 1980s.

It's so easy to throw stones now that we've outsourced our pollution...
That's ignoring the fact that we've made tremendous scientifical progress in the last 200 years, enabling us to realize how and what our actions do to the environment. No one in the 1850's had the knowledge we do today regarding environmental damage and pollution caused by humans. The world has changed, and this time around China and everyone else is actually aware of the potential enviromental damage that can be done by China. We were ignorant of the enviroment, China isn't.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Did I say anywhere that was a good thing? How coincidental that just as the Western populace came to realize the importance of the environment and enact laws to protect it, multinationals saw a way to just export environmental degradation.
...you don't have to go far to see Western myopia on the subject of pollution. Just down the road in my own country (the U.S.) GOP/right wing conservative members of congress are denying the science of global warming and thus the need for caution on issues related to industrial based environmental pollution.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, and the corrupt Communist Party ruling China manages to combine the worst of both.
....I see similar corruption here in the West....it's to some degree a matter of cultural/political bias. That said,.....you can't deny that if communist China collapses economically the world is in for some serious sh#t in terms of global economic depression.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:39 PM

Disgusting.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I think it's totally cool... celebrating Vancouver's Asian multi-culturalism.

I look forward to October 10th, when they commemorate this day with this flag: .

Excuse me, but I think it would be cool if it were just part of an overarching international celebration thing, and how do you know they'll celebrate Taiwan, anyway?
I think this is more political posturing of some sort, and all hooked in with China, which both butters our bread, then causes the price of bread to skyrocket here.
This is raw politicism, not cultural celebration, so if you're going to do it for China, do it not only for Japan, and Taiwan (all you Asia-obsessed folks) but also
The Philippines, Australia, NZ, Germany (big % German stock in Vancouver) the UK of course, The Netherlands, Italy, India, Pakistan, Greece, ..... just about all the world.
This is raw political cheerleading and bootlicking and it rather sucks, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Disgusting.
....I do agree with you,...that Trump fellow surely is.....

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Excuse me, but I think it would be cool if it were just part of an overarching international celebration thing, and how do you know they'll celebrate Taiwan, anyway?
I think this is more political posturing of some sort, and all hooked in with China, which both butters our bread, then causes the price of bread to skyrocket here.
This is raw politicism, not cultural celebration, so if you're going to do it for China, do it not only for Japan, and Taiwan (all you Asia-obsessed folks) but also
The Philippines, Australia, NZ, Germany (big % German stock in Vancouver) the UK of course, The Netherlands, Italy, India, Pakistan, Greece, ..... just about all the world.
This is raw political cheerleading and bootlicking and it rather sucks, IMO.
Truth be told...China's potential economic impact on the world is dangerously lopsided. China is increasingly/singularly more important to the health of the global economy than the countries you've mentioned above (with Germany a factor because of its relative power within the E.U. market).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 10:05 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Truth be told...China's potential economic impact on the world is dangerously lopsided. China is increasingly/singularly more important to the health of the global economy than the countries you've mentioned above (with Germany a factor because of its relative power within the E.U. market).
I think what many forget is the Chinese dollar is the only majorly traded currency that is NOT market driven, the government artificially sets what their currency is worth.

They have already devalued their currency a fair bit recently and that is what caused the flood of money leaving the country. However it is well known that they will need to devalue their currency again in the near future, wreaking further havoc.

Excerpt from article from july this year:
Quote:
World faces deflation shock as China devalues yuan at accelerating pace

China has abandoned a solemn pledge to keep its exchange rate stable and is carrying out a systematic devaluation of the yuan, sending a powerful deflationary impulse through a global economy already caught in a 1930s trap.
The country’s currency basket has been sliding at an annual pace of 12pc since the start of the year. This has picked up sharply since the Brexit vote, suggesting that the People’s Bank (PBOC) may be taking advantage of the distraction to push through a sharper devaluation.
“This makes a mockery of the PBOC’s suggestion that its policy is to keep the currency’s value stable,” said Mark Williams, chief China economist at Capital Economics. “Markets will not take PBOC policy statements at face value in the future.”
Mr Williams said it is unclear whether Beijing intended to deceive investors all along when it gave categorical assurances earlier this year, or whether it is feeding on events.
Either way the markets have stopped believing what they are told, storing serious trouble for the authorities should there be another surge in capital flight later this year, as widely expected.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...celerating-pa/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 10:22 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks retro, for the information.

So, like, what is this all about anyway??? "Asia-Pacific Days" (???) Something to celebrate the Chinese presence in Vancouver? Something political? Something economic? WHAT?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:25 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Thanks retro, for the information.

So, like, what is this all about anyway??? "Asia-Pacific Days" (???) Something to celebrate the Chinese presence in Vancouver? Something political? Something economic? WHAT?
The anniversary of the founding of Communist China. And no it's not "racist" to question this.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
....I do agree with you,...that Trump fellow surely is.....
What does this have to do with him? Stop trolling.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:27 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
The anniversary of the founding of Communist China. And no it's not "racist" to question this.
Yes; Oct 1, 1949. And why is Vancouver City Hall celebrating this, pray tell?
Is this a turning point of freedom in China, and for the Chinese people? I hardly think so.
Let the city keep its sticky, self-important fingers out of contentious past international political history. Case closed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:21 PM
retro_orange

Joe and Kerry: "Oops. I forgot all that other stuff."

Quote:
Richmond MP regrets wearing 'communist' scarf at flag raising event

Joe Peschisolido says he wasn't aware the scarf is viewed as symbol of communist repression

By Farrah Merali, CBC News Posted: Oct 06, 2016 1:46 PM PT Last Updated: Oct 06, 2016 9:22 PM PT

MP for Steveston-Richmond East, Joe Peschisolido, pictured on the far left, said had he known what the scarf symbolized, he would not have worn it.

Joe Peschisolido, MP for Steveston-Richmond East, says he regrets wearing a red scarf — which critics say is a recognized symbol of the communist struggle — at a Chinese flag-raising ceremony in Vancouver on Friday.
The event was a celebration of the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.
Peschisolido attended the ceremony alongside Vancouver Coun. Kerry Jang.
Both have since come under fire from opponents of the communist government for both their participation in the event and the wearing of the red scarves.
Speaking to the CBC today, Peschisolido said the scarf was given to him by an organizer of the event.
He said he was told it was a symbol of 5,000 years of Chinese culture and civilization.
"In hindsight and on reflection, I should not have done that, and I regret doing that — but that's how it occurred," said Peschisolido.
"I now know that, for many people, it's a very painful signal or symbol based on what occurred — the tragic events that happened during the cultural revolution."
Backlash growing against ceremony

Peschisolido said while he regrets wearing the scarf, he doesn't regret attending the event.
The MP acknowledged there are concerns regarding free speech and human rights in China but said it's important to engage the country to try to elicit change.
"I understand the criticism ... there are folks who feel genuine pain; however, if you want to change things, you can't close your eyes to the situation — you have to deal with it," said Peschisolido.
"If you want to change the inner workings of any country, you need to engage — and that's what we're doing right now."
Meanwhile, outrage is growing among members of Vancouver's Chinese-Canadian community who don't support the communist government.
The Alliance of the Guard of Canadian Values is demanding an explanation for why the event was held on the steps of Vancouver City Hall.
The group held a rally today at city hall calling for Jang to apologize and resign.
"We don't think you represent the city of Vancouver or the values that we believe in," said Meena Wong, a former Vancouver mayoral candidate, at the rally.
"When I saw the flag and then the red scarf, it was a trigger for me ... it brought back a lot of painful memories," said Wong, who was born in China and grew up during the cultural revolution.
"My family being raided by the red guards, I was beaten in school by youth wearing the red scarves. So you can imagine what it was like."
CBC News contacted Kerry Jang to comment, but did not hear back.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...carf-1.3794522

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:24 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Vancouver Chinese communities call for resignation of city councillor
by NEWS 1130 Staff
Posted Oct 6, 2016 4:14 pm PDT
(Martin MacMahon, NEWS1130 Photo)

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Four local immigrant groups from the Chinese and Taiwanese-Canadian communities are calling for Kerry Jang to apologize and resign as a city councillor.
This after he wore a communist scarf and raised China’s flag at City Hall last week.
“Humanity? I don’t think so, nobody thinks so,” says Albert Xi, who spoke in front of Vancouver City Hall at a protest on Thursday afternoon. “Communism? Does anyone think communism represents humanity? Here? In all the world? I don’t think so. It’s a common understanding.”
Xi is a Canadian citizen from Mainland China, who says the regime has killed and imprisoned friends of his, and he rejects comments from local politicians that China is “changing.”
“Communism is camouflaged,” says Xi. “They are with the camouflage of China. But it’s still camouflage, it’s still communism. It doesn’t change. It never changed.”
http://www.news1130.com/2016/10/06/v...ty-councillor/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics