HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 7:25 PM

Councillor wants Vancouver to realize the full potential of its 'night' economy

Ooh maybe they can make the 5 - 11pm evening hours less dull...

Quote:
A Vancouver city councillor wants her new motion to unlock the potential of Vancouver's nighttime economy.

Coun. Lisa Dominato says cities around the world have started paying attention to their nighttime economies — which include sectors like dining, entertainment, music, concerts and related economic factors including transportation and food and drink costs.

"There [are] lots of things that can be activated after five o'clock, and contribute in a positive way both to the local economy in terms of jobs ... but also to the vibrancy of our city in terms of arts and culture hospitality," Dominato said.

She says her four-page motion brings together work the city has already done on liquor policy, music strategy and its creative city strategy to create a stronger focus on the night economy.

The strategy would extend beyond the patrons of Vancouver's traditional bar scene to young families, children and youth, and students.

"It also includes nighttime workers," she said. "We've got people working in sectors like health care, policing, first responders as well that are part of our nighttime economy ... so after five o'clock you have to think about things like public transportation, public safety, accessibility and what are all the different wraparound pieces that might be basic things like lighting, washrooms."

Dominato's motion goes before council on May 28.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nomy-1.5147957

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Finally! I've been waiting for this. Most major cities operate 24/7 and that helps keep down traffic.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 10:27 PM

Hey, good to know Dominato's one of the progressive ones.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

What patent crap. Most retailers and service providers can't find sufficient staff for existing hours, let alone extended ones. How exactly do we find people for this somehow-latent economic powerhouse waiting to be tapped?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 10:34 PM

I like the fact that Richmond is actually a bit lively at night.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
What patent crap. Most retailers and service providers can't find sufficient staff for existing hours, let alone extended ones. How exactly do we find people for this somehow-latent economic powerhouse waiting to be tapped?
This is actually a real crisis in this city.

Half dozen or so business' I visited this year have been forced to close early because a lack of staff. This ranges from small time clothing shops, to eateries, to coffee bars.

This is having a real economic impact and its not a positive one.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Hey, good to know Dominato's one of the progressive ones.
Knowing her history, I'm surprised she was under the NPA banner. But I suppose Vision was quite toxic.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:36 PM

I think the concept of tapping into the "night economy" is great. Not simply for generating more money and jobs, but because so many people live downtown, facilitating it.
Also, it might help shake off that Presbyterian "no fun city" shroud that seems to hang over Vancouver. Ifn possible, I'd love to see stores remaining open later, and livelier "wee hours."
Also, if tourism is going to play such a major role in the city's economy, this is not just a frippery, but a necessity. We have little in the way of an economic powerhouse the way Seattle does.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics