HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/5395443/b...ayments-start/

Tolko closed down in large part due to BC not bailing them out and the corporate tax increase + health tax. Source, my friend lost their job there.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2019-1.5360649
Seems mostly due to thew poor price of lumber than anything to do with taxation.

As for the health tax? Suck it up pricks, MSP was fucking horrible, I dont give a crap, if you cant afford to absorb this you deserve to go bankrupt.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That said, I’m curious how many conscientious (as opposed to policy-based) voters there will be on Oct 24.
Ps: The outcome will determine whether I will return to the B.C. Highway Thread.

I also wonder how this will affect Federal NDP’s polling in B.C. Will it be obliterated if JT for real calls one at the federal level too?
I mean JT probably has more reasons not to call an election unlike the NDP.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 5:22 AM

Quote:
1) ICBC - They are keeping this dumpster fire alive and it is irritating to know I have to deal with this shit institution and know there are "adjusters" making more than most of the general public while doing little to no work. We are handcuffed to using this useless insurer when most other provinces and states can renew policies in under 10 minutes at home.

2) Site C/Enbridge/Kinder Morgan - How much did virtue signaling cost us?

3) Cancelling the George Massey Bridge. This was planned out and construction was commencing. We threw it away because they deemed it not necessary. The tunnel is in dire need of replacement and will need to be replaced or people will die in the event of a moderate earthquake.

4) The DTES worsened under their tenure and they continue to throw money at drug addicts to commit crimes and takeover Vancouver. It is such a hostile environment that I am avoiding the Vancouver area.

5) Calling an election in the middle of a pandemic when they should be cooperating with all sides. Shows where the priority is. They do not give a rats ass about the general public but want power.

6) The stupid increase in corporate taxes saw many companies move operations out of BC or close down completely. Medium sized businesses never stood a chance as a result of COVID19. Just too many stupid new taxes including the carbon drinks tax.

Andrew Wilkinson best move would be to push the privation of BC Auto Insurance and use the sell-off of the public insurers assets to fund stimulus programs for businesses to withstand COVID19. We know this province is screwed to the bone and we are likely going to see massive job losses once this is all set and done. Low taxes. Major austerity for public sector employees. Lots of public sector work can be done for minimum wage and should frankly be automated.

Honestly. What have the NDP done in 3 years? How has this province become more affordable and better?
LOL and where have the BC Liberals promised to get rid of ICBC? They did in the past and changed their mind when they realized they could loot it to pretend their budgets were balanced.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Did anyone tune in to Federal Greens' press conference? Am I reading too much into it, or is Elizabeth really taking a subtle jab at B.C. NDP while comparing the case numbers of B.C. and those of N.B.?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
1) ICBC - They are keeping this dumpster fire alive and it is irritating to know I have to deal with this shit institution and know there are "adjusters" making more than most of the general public while doing little to no work. We are handcuffed to using this useless insurer when most other provinces and states can renew policies in under 10 minutes at home.
This is a dumpster fire in the making for 2 or more decades. The bleeding will be stemmed, its a process. The Liberals had 16 years to do literally anything about this, and did precisely nothing. My hope that liberals are the savior here is zero.

Quote:
2) Site C/Enbridge/Kinder Morgan - How much did virtue signaling cost us?
They explored the cancelling option as they promised they would, cost benefit analysis concluded it was better to continue. It was an election promise I was against, but I was impressed that when faced with evidence they made the correct decision against what they had intended originally. Its admirable for a government to make a decisions against its bias when faced with hard evidence to the contrary. More people should heed that in their lives.

Quote:
3) Cancelling the George Massey Bridge. This was planned out and construction was commencing. We threw it away because they deemed it not necessary. The tunnel is in dire need of replacement and will need to be replaced or people will die in the event of a moderate earthquake.
And replaced it will be. I'm not sure that a multi billion dollar bridge to Ladner is the best idea either.

Quote:
4) The DTES worsened under their tenure and they continue to throw money at drug addicts to commit crimes and takeover Vancouver. It is such a hostile environment that I am avoiding the Vancouver area.
This is way to complicated a problem to lay on the NDP, so this is a no go for me.

Quote:
5) Calling an election in the middle of a pandemic when they should be cooperating with all sides. Shows where the priority is. They do not give a rats ass about the general public but want power.
Yes, they are a political party that wants to stay in power. They have handled this pandemic, literally top of the heap in the entire world, particularly the Western world. Its no ideal to have an election during a pandemic, but its not impossible.

Quote:
6) The stupid increase in corporate taxes saw many companies move operations out of BC or close down completely. Medium sized businesses never stood a chance as a result of COVID19. Just too many stupid new taxes including the carbon drinks tax.
This is a firm knock against them. I agree fully here. Although I'm not against the fizzy drink tax. Sugar is objectively a killer up there with cigarettes and alcohol. Enjoy it, but pay the sin tax to support the inevitable health care cost increases.

Quote:
Andrew Wilkinson best move would be to push the privation of BC Auto Insurance and use the sell-off of the public insurers assets to fund stimulus programs for businesses to withstand COVID19. We know this province is screwed to the bone and we are likely going to see massive job losses once this is all set and done. Low taxes. Major austerity for public sector employees. Lots of public sector work can be done for minimum wage and should frankly be automated.
Privatized ICBC has been studied, as has selling off its assets, its a no go. It sounds good, but wont work. Austerity is not what's needed in recovery, spending is. To see results of austerity policies and economic recoveries, check out the post 2008 recovery. Slowest on record.

Quote:
Honestly. What have the NDP done in 3 years? How has this province become more affordable and better?
How about acting on something like 75% of campaign promises.

I couldn't bring myself to vote for Christy Clark last go round, so with my eyes closed and nose held I voted NDP.

They have done an infinitely better job than the Liberals, I can see that now. They earned my vote. Only the second time ever that I will be voting NDP.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Did anyone tune in to Federal Greens' press conference? Am I reading too much into it, or is Elizabeth really taking a subtle jab at B.C. NDP while comparing the case numbers of B.C. and those of N.B.?

I found this from last week.

Quote:
A month ago, I would have dismissed the idea out of hand. But the minority government of Blaine Higgs in New Brunswick has broken the glass on that particular emergency lever. His opportunism has been rewarded as the Conservatives emerged triumphant from a cynical snap election. Not only did Higgs secure a majority of the seats, the Liberal leader, our former Sergeant-at-Arms, Kevin Vickers, did not win a seat and has now resigned. Other than the Conservatives, only the New Brunswick Greens improved their vote share, holding on to all three seats.

Here in British Columbia, despite the smoke shrouding everything else in a fog, it does appear clear that John Horgan, an NDP premier with a minority government, is itching for a snap election.
Then this from earlier today: Elizabeth May says throne speech needs to include climate action or Greens won’t vote confidence (includes video)

Quote:
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May on Wednesday spoke ahead of the throne speech and said while the Greens are also looking for action on Pharmacare, mental health support, and support for businesses, it is a must to include action on the climate or they won’t vote confidence.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I found this from last week.

Then this from earlier today: Elizabeth May says throne speech needs to include climate action or Greens won’t vote confidence (includes video)
The sooner Canadians realize the Green Party is irrelevant the better. There is no need for them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The sooner Canadians realize the Green Party is irrelevant the better. There is no need for them.
I thought it was amusing how she was talking about what the Greens would need to support the throne speech, as if they're a big party. Meanwhile of course they're not even small fish in a big pond - hell they're barely even tadpoles.

Federally it's the Libs vs the Cons, with the Bloc and NDP trailing along behind them. I suppose if some form of Wexit party comes about they might be trailing along too. The Greens are in the distance far behind them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I thought it was amusing how she was talking about what the Greens would need to support the throne speech, as if they're a big party. Meanwhile of course they're not even small fish in a big pond - hell they're barely even tadpoles.

Federally it's the Libs vs the Cons, with the Bloc and NDP trailing along behind them. I suppose if some form of Wexit party comes about they might be trailing along too. The Greens are in the distance far behind them.
O'Toole hasn't had time to establish himself or have the public get to know him.

I too am not sure, and would like to know more about the prospective Conservative platform. I don't want to hear conversation about LGBTQ+ rights, or abortion, or whatever. Those issues are decided. I'm more interested about a vision for tomorrow economically - that will answer questions about every other sector nearly.

I do really wish Justin would cool it with the virtue signaling.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I do really wish Justin would cool it with the virtue signaling.
He's a politician - it's what they do nowadays...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:37 AM

What, you don't think he's an inspiration to all "peoplekind?"

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Indigenous leader seeking B.C. NDP Stikine nomination wants equity policy to nullify star candidate

(link)

... Annita McPhee, who served three terms as the president of the Tahltan Central Government for the Tahltan Nation, says she is seeking the nomination for Stikine, one of the two most northerly ridings in the province, for the next B.C. election.

Her public announcement on Saturday comes after current Stikine MLA Doug Donaldson said he would not seek reelection for the riding, but after former Member of Parliament Nathan Cullen disclosed his plans to claim the nomination.

"I want to offer my energy and experience to help," he said in a Twitter post on Thursday.

McPhee says his bid should be nullified, however, if the party sticks to an equity policy in place to nominate more diverse candidates.

The equity rule states if a man retires from an NDP-held seat in the province, that man's replacement must be a woman or an "equity-seeking" man; for example, a man who is a visible minority, a person with a disability or someone from the LGBTQ community.

A spokesperson for McPhee says if her nomination is vetted and accepted, "then we would expect the equity policy to stand..."
I'm usually pro-diversity, but this is just dumb. So now either the NDP breaks their own rules or they lose their golden boy?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I'm usually pro-diversity, but this is just dumb. So now either the NDP breaks their own rules or they lose their golden boy?
I mean you always need to read the fine print with the NDP.. ask the Green Party.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that a multi billion dollar bridge to Ladner is the best idea either.
"To Ladner"? Kind of like how the second narrows is a bridge to Deep Cove?

But a just-as-expensive tunnel "to Ladner" is ok?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
And here is the biggest problem with identity politics.

Race, religion, or sex should never enter the discussion.

Merit only.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
"To Ladner"? Kind of like how the second narrows is a bridge to Deep Cove?

But a just-as-expensive tunnel "to Ladner" is ok?
I don't know. Ill be honest. I don't know the area enough, I don't know the growth projections enough, and I never did a deep dive into both arguments to know enough why it may have been cancelled.

On average, I'm in favor of infrastructure projects, and now that you point it out my comment about a bridge to Ladner was unnecessarily flippant.

Delta Port is out that way, and that alone should justify an upgrade to the route, particularly considering the likely growth in industrial and shipping from there.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
And here is the biggest problem with identity politics.

Race, religion, or sex should never enter the discussion.

Merit only.
I would agree with that, and don't like the NDP policy.

However, the deck has been stacked against some groups for centuries. You can't argue that white men have been the natural born best leaders/politicians/etc for all of that time?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I would agree with that, and don't like the NDP policy.

However, the deck has been stacked against some groups for centuries. You can't argue that white men have been the natural born best leaders/politicians/etc for all of that time?
Deck definitely been stacked against certain groups, and there is definitely nothing race related that makes whites more equipped to be leaders.

Race need to be done away with as a concept.

It offers very little value, beyond the medical field where some races are more predisposed to genetic disorders than others.

Beyond that, everyone need to be viewed as human.

Its not because of color that white men were "leaders" for the past few centuries, its because of socio economic reasons, because of the empires that rose to power in the regions in which they did. Same happened before in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, etc.

Same way the Chinese are stepping up to the plate to be the dominant world leaders now.

Its not because they are Asian. Its because they are playing the game in the most winning way. And like the whites of the past, they are also showcasing some of the worst human traits imaginable - concentration camps filled with prisoners based on nothing more than ideology and race.

None of the positive, and none of the negative characteristics are race related. They are human related - the issue is we live in a Western world order, for now, which is viewed through the lens of "white success and leadership."

The same atrocities that got the whites here, are being perpetrated by other races to elevate them past the whites.

But as long as we focus on race, and not ideas, we will continue to doom one race after another to similarly dismal fates.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
BC NDP Ahead of Rivals as Campaign Starts in British Columbia
September 24, 2020By Mario Canseco
John Horgan has a 17-point lead over Andrew Wilkinson when voters are asked who would make the Best Premier.

Vancouver, BC [September 24, 2020] – As British Columbia prepares for a unique electoral campaign in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, the governing New Democratic Party (NDP) is in first place, a new Research Co. poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative provincial sample, 44% of decided voters in British Columbia would support the BC NDP candidate in their constituency in the election scheduled for October 24. The BC NDP has gained three points since a similar Research Co. survey conducted in May.

The BC Liberals are in second place with 37% (+4), followed by the BC Green Party with 13% (-3) and the BC Conservative Party with 4% (-5).
https://researchco.ca/2020/09/24/bcpoli-2/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:36 PM

I dont get the discussion about centuries when 40 years ago Canada was over 95% Caucasian. It still is well over 80% so representation should be somewhere between these two numbers considering the lag as newcomers produce new generations that get more politically active.

Not to mention white is a pretty crappy term considering the number of cultures which are very different from one another. Look I live in a central European country that is classified as eastern European, you bet you the cards are stacked against all the white people here inside Europe. They are discriminated by Germans, Dutch, Brits, Swedes, Austrians, French etc. You think as a Pole you can get a high position within a German company? The chance is miniscule. You think as a Czech you can get the same job as a Dutch person in say Switzerland? Again cards stacked against you. If your last name ends with ski and you are born in Austria good luck, you will have to work three times as hard to get ahead and you will still have doors shut to you. You have ova in your last name? Doesnt matter where you are born, you are looked down upon as second class by ever German, Dane, etc. they just won't say it to your face.

So frankly this white privilege bull crap is rather insulting and it has no place in our society. Me as a white immigrant (80s refugee) had to work twice as hard to get to where I am (I am now back in Europe). I didnt get to check any special boxes to get real privilage.

People should focus rather on their nation. Their community and collegues and see each other as one team when within the same one big class. Focus on those trying to turn us agaisnt each other and break our solidarity. Look at the politicians that push identity politics. Look at the media that pusjes identity politics. They are the problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics