HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
"Same taxes" is a bit questionable as taxes are based on a mill rate, not a set rate like other taxes. SFHs in Vancouver pay substantially more than other municipalities, and that's fine.

10% is meant as shock value. The increase has been limited to 5% this year, and I can't see any council proposing 10% in the future in all honesty.

That said, the way you increase revenue is through approving more dense development. Tax rates can remain flat as you grow the tax base to pay for increases.
Agreed and agreed. And... Abso-freaky-lutely. Moving away from Edmonton was a god-send due to their infrastructure upkeep going through the roof from sprawl and low density.

I just put that note in there because while when an article say "10%!" the overall context is missing, always.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
A look under the hood will show social housing, which is not supposed to be a civic initiative, is eating a disproportionately large portion of funds.

There is also the fact the DTES costs a million a day, 365.

Provincial NDP should lay its head in shame about not lobbying the Feds for a more rapidly deployed, and larger, share of the housing funds.
I thought affordable housing was 3% of the 2022 Capital Budget?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Agreed. While she's not the best politician, she is a valued voice for those of the hardest hit by the bludgeoning of land prices that escalate everything in this city. Valuable to have on council. She's right in saying policies are flawed that don't stipulate more affordable housing options.
So then why has she voted against so many MIRHPPs and rentals? She says she wants affordable housing, but her definition of "affordable" is so ridiculously unviable that she might as well be one of Hardwick's people.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
So then why has she voted against so many MIRHPPs and rentals? She says she wants affordable housing, but her definition of "affordable" is so ridiculously unviable that she might as well be one of Hardwick's people.
She's voted against them because 20% is a pittance and they could go higher. Not much but they could. Financing is an issue, but if it was less a site-by-site and a across the board rezoning policy, kinda like the Streamlining Policy to be voted on then it works.

As a developer of rental housing and a renter, I agree with her principles, but not her approach to policy, not make that clear. In turn, her colleagues do little to meet her in the middle. I think the Broadway Plan might be the best solution and initiative to this goal... and it was concocted by Staff and industry professionals no less. LMFAO

EDIT: To add, I agree that the policies we (developers) for market rental work within are not great and are very expensive, but we work within policies that exist, to enable rental at all! So I do disagree ... with her disagreement that these existing polcies are not great and thinking she can vote against them ... because they are not good enough (as they are years old) while not forming better policy with other members of council. That's my biggest qualm.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:09 PM

To take this even more wordy...

I agree with her frustration and disagreement with City policies on housing.

I disagree with her approach to forming new policy to fix it and form consensus.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:22 PM

I disagree with her presence on City Council at all.

The issues she champions are provincial if not federal concerns.

She's bogging down the City with her issues which the city is not capable of or empowered to fix, when she would have far more success taking the issue up the chain.

Thanks for compiling the voting list btw FF, really shows who to vote for if you want to see more housing in Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:27 PM

But in the absence of other levels of government investing in housing, the City has the power to enable rental housing and / or rental to a certain income when going through a rezoning, as well as prioritizing rental over condos, social housing, co-ops etc. And with condos the City has all the power to capture density bonus $$$ for affordable housing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:30 PM

But she votes against market rental housing nearly every time. Her concerns seem to be poverty level homes and that's just more effectively addressed at the provincial level, and really should be national given BCs disproportionate burden of homeless Canadians.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:40 PM

I understand, but when you look at it thorough the lenses of you (the City) is providing extra density and stories for market rental (1 beds going to $70k individuals) and those earning under that are getting shit on... I wouldn't be happy either seeing how her colleagues don't make it easier for those earning less than say $60k and any density bonusses and permit processes for social housing.

I build market housing... and I have no idea who can afford them.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:57 PM

Jeez, I've voted in every single municipal, provincial and federal election since 1982 and this could be the first time I don't vote. Vancouver municipal politics are to the point of what's the point.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:29 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Rental increases are limited to 1.5%. You're paying $40k/year? I think you can afford it.
$40K/yr gets you a mediocre two/three bedroom apartment in most parts of the city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
What has Stewart done that's so impressive?
He has done the unthinkable; he has made our previous Mayor Moonbeam seem at least somewhat competent and a leader. All Kennedy does is ooze weakness and undecisiveness and lack of a plan in everything he does. He is a complete opposite of a leader and someone that nobody would follow to a war.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 1:07 AM

Wacko Swanson has even lost the support of the Reddit audience, which is always for more free stuff. Talk about an achievement. In addition, her principle to vote 'no' on anything that would give a developer ANY return on investment on a project, is so absurdly naive that one has to question if she has any concept of real life.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Actually, can you spell it out for me? The article is very ambiguous.
I was sure the bolded text would have made it pretty clear, as the article and interviewed people say it out loud. Even some members of the Council of Clowns are admitting that the city has completely forgotten its basic mandate in its wokeism and taken on stupid idiological hobby projects that are costing everyone arm and a leg.

Last edited by Klazu; Dec 1, 2021 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:32 AM

I'll wait and see who the District Labour council endorses next year and vote for those candidates like I did in 2018.

Anybody but BC Liberal lackeys on city council plz and thank you.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:21 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I was sure the bolded text would have made it pretty clear, as the article and interviewed people say it out loud.
I read the article. Multiple people communicate that the civic government has taken on projects that are under the provincial and federal governments' jurisdiction. They also mention that the civic government is not spending on things that actually matter to citizens.

So I will ask you again, what specific programs or capital projects is the city spending on that it shouldn't be? I am actually asking, because it is easy to say the government is spending on things it shouldn't be and not spending on things it should be, but it is a lot harder to actually name those things.

I am not doubting what you're saying, but some specific examples would be enlightening. I am somewhat fresh to the metro Vancouver area, and I do not follow civic politics.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
$40K/yr gets you a mediocre two/three bedroom apartment in most parts of the city.
Irrelevant. The metric here is 1.5%.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Jeez, I've voted in every single municipal, provincial and federal election since 1982 and this could be the first time I don't vote. Vancouver municipal politics are to the point of what's the point.
It’s been like that for a long time now

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Car and Hardwick sure, but I will never vote against Swanson, she's a hero to me.
You need new heroes. She’s awful along with the rest of her comrades in the NIMBY politburo

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
It’s been like that for a long time now
I know, I know. It's just so soul-crushing to end up no longer wanting to vote. Thank you, Vancouver municipal politicians. Well played.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics