HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Exactly, so promoting transit oriented development adjacent to the urban core and near significant employment centres is superior to continued car dependent sprawl up Burke Mountain.

I understand you're a conservative, but change is okay.
A couple things that other have already pointed out: Once that forest and its carbon sequestration abilities are gone, it is gone forever. Second, there's a slew of multimillion dollar single family homes on the UEL between NW Marine and University Blvd. (10th) that can be redeveloped to meet housing needs. It is doubtful any of those current owners work or study at UBC so there's no need for them to be housed there.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 8:22 PM

The thought of leaving the SFH and knocking down a park to add density is insane.

Also, Chowhound I get the impression you have never been to Pac Spirit. It is very busy and has many trails running through it. As we add more density and development nearby it, the parks need actually increases, not decreases.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Also, Chowhound I get the impression you have never been to Pac Spirit. It is very busy and has many trails running through it. As we add more density and development nearby it, the parks need actually increases, not decreases.
I used to live off Dunbar and went to UBC so a pretty large chunk of my life was in and around the park. It has never even come close to busy compared to Stanley Park or Queen E, especially proportional to its size. This is especially true for the portion of the park around and north of University Boulevard. It's not a good place to socialize with friends, it's not a good place to sit and relax, it's not a good place to soak up some sun, it has no flexibility, it has no options for exercise beyond walking and cycling. It's really not a good city park. Urban forest, sure, but parkspace no.

I actually agree that more park space is needed as density increases, but the usable space within these parks is miniscule compared to the massive size of them. If we want this to be a city park make it a city park. In the meantime it's a lot of deadspace.

Since I'm being strawmanned in this thread, I feel like I have to say that obviously SFHs need to be densified in the CoV and in a perfect world we'd legalise housing options across the regional district. However, in a perfect world the best place for density is also along high capacity transit corridors with nearby services like parks and schools. It's a lot harder to justify the cost of the UBCx line without any activation along this corridor too. Given the Musqueam Development Corp is in full swing with lelem and the University Golf Course will be developed by the end of the century, it's already not as though this area will always remain a forest.

As a further note, the idea that you can't turn residential properties into parkland is plainly wrong. Burnaby and North Vancouver have been doing this for years. It's a bit of a slog because you have to wait out property owners, but it happens.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:16 PM

There's a middle ground: the future Blanca station area should obviously be open to development, likewise any station at Lelem... but the space between the two is important for the overall forest and not exactly SkyTrain-accessible, so partially rewilding it and/or converting it to a park would be sensible.

Also, making it all the development residential or mixed-use would be incredibly shortsighted.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
As a further note, the idea that you can't turn residential properties into parkland is plainly wrong. Burnaby and North Vancouver have been doing this for years. It's a bit of a slog because you have to wait out property owners, but it happens.
The CoV does this too. Once upon a time when I was looking for rental houses, I viewed one on Penticton Street south of E 26th Ave that was owned by the CoV park board which will eventually be turned into a park (as I was told by the agent during the viewing).

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:26 PM

^ TBF that's Nanaimo Station - land acquisition is cheap and easy compared to Point Grey.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
There's a middle ground: the future Blanca station area should obviously be open to development, likewise any station at Lelem... but the space between the two is important for the overall forest and not exactly SkyTrain-accessible, so partially rewilding it and/or converting it to a park would be sensible.
The space between the two is the University Golf Course. lelem is the template for that property in 60 years. I don't think there's any getting away from that, the Musqueam Development Corp definitely isn't rewilding that real estate any time soon.

Quote:
^ TBF that's Nanaimo Station - land acquisition is cheap and easy compared to Point Grey.
Cheaper yes, but probably about as easy. ROFR is ROFR.

Last edited by chowhou; May 10, 2023 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:06 PM

And lelem's got a forest in the middle, as does Jericho, so the golf course may very well follow that trend.

Lawyers are lawyers: if Kits Point can take the city to court over Senakw, Point Grey will bury any park under a decades' worth of frivolous suits. East Van? There's a lot of grumbling and then acquiescence and the park gets finished on time.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
The thought of leaving the SFH and knocking down a park to add density is insane.

Running 2 km’s of subway through a golf course and forest is also insane. Almost a billion dollars to run through a golf course and forest that has no chance of being developed. Also situated adjacent to a major university with 60 000 students.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Sounds like they could just redevelop parts of Pacific Spirit and then buy up some land in cheaper areas then, a net gain for everyone.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Running 2 km’s of subway through a golf course and forest is also insane. Almost a billion dollars to run through a golf course and forest that has no chance of being developed.
You better start writing to the Province and Translink before they make that mistake. Oh and they are doing the same in Surrey, twice!!!

Not that the UBCx alignment is anything similar, there is only park along one side for ~800m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Sounds like they could just redevelop parts of Pacific Spirit and then buy up some land in cheaper areas then, a net gain for everyone.
Where is this 'some land'? Practically all of Metro Vancouver is either developed, ALR, or park.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Running 2 km’s of subway through a golf course and forest is also insane. Almost a billion dollars to run through a golf course and forest that has no chance of being developed.
Being able to take the subway into a forest from the middle of the city sounds amazing! I honestly don't know what I would do if I just had easy access to a bunch of tramped-on turf or soccer field. Quite similar to providing good transit to Balcarra or Deep Cove. Just in this case the next westerly stop is a major university.

Why can't overgrown parks have good transit?

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
You better start writing to the Province and Translink before they make that mistake, oh and they are doing the same in Surrey!!!

Not that the UBCx alignment is anything similar, there is only park along one side for 800m
I don’t think there will be any development there. I just think it’s a poor use of the land considering how many golf course there are in the west side, and how immense pacific spirit park is, which is more of a forest reserve.

UBC needs a dense neighbourhood to supplement it. Students should be able to live in a neighborhood where they can bike or transit to school in a timely fashion. A dense neighbourhood there would see the same walk/bike/transit rates that you see in the west end. A very successful neighbourhood. And there would still be huge amounts of park space to enjoy.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Where is this 'some land'? Practically all of Metro Vancouver is either developed, ALR, or park.
Related to the part of the conversation where SFHs could be bought up and redeveloped into parkland to replace the more valuable parkland in Pacific Spirit being developed into TOD. It's entirely possible, we just value those SFHs greater than more efficient uses near transit, and we have no problem destroying forests for more of them (i.e. Burke Mountain).

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
needs a dense neighbourhood to supplement it. Students should be able to live in a neighborhood where they can bike or transit to school in a timely fashion. A dense neighbourhood there would see the same walk/bike/transit rates that you see in the west end. A very successful neighbourhood. And there would still be huge amounts of park space to enjoy.
UBC is doing that with Wesbrook and redeveloping the area east of Wesbrook Mall.
But this brings up the question Should the UEL all be taken over by UBC?

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 11:43 PM

If UBC needs more walkable villages, College Highroad is literally next door to the centre of campus, the future station and the bus loop; Osoyoos Crescent is more out of the way, but also more underutilized. There's a lot of real estate they can burn through before they need to fell even a single UEL tree.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
If UBC needs more walkable villages, College Highroad is literally next door to the centre of campus, the future station and the bus loop; Osoyoos Crescent is more out of the way, but also more underutilized. There's a lot of real estate they can burn through before they need to fell even a single UEL tree.
Not really sure how they're legally separate, but UBC is distinct from the UEL (weird right?), so even if the UEL joined Vancouver, UBC would still be governmentally distinct. So the College High Road area is outside of UBC's jurisdiction, and well let's be honest only a very privileged type of student is living in a ~$10M SFH adjacent to campus. Hopefully that redevelopment does happen and some trees are indeed saved, but it hasn't happened so far.

The Osoyoos Crescent area is currently planned by UBC to build more housing on, so that's happening regardless of a multi-billion dollar public transit investment.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ubc-...expansion-2050

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Not really sure how they're legally separate, but UBC is distinct from the UEL (weird right?), so even if the UEL joined Vancouver, UBC would still be governmentally distinct.
UBC and the UEL were always separate. The UBC land was designated for the university and the University Endowment Lands was designated to be sold off to fund the university, hence endowment in the name. This endowment land was originally planned to be in the Cariboo but that changed and ended up beside the university.

UBC legally owns the entire campus lands and can't sell any of it, every condo there is leasehold. Land in the UEL is either privately owned or still crown land.

UBC's own website actually incorrectly states they are located on the UEL. https://buildingoperations.ubc.ca/ab...ish%20Columbia.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:41 AM

Good read and a neat diagram on the actual topic:

https://biv.com/article/2023/05/shou...ique-situation

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:30 AM

Quote:
I don’t think there will be any development there. I just think it’s a poor use of the land considering how many golf course there are in the west side, and how immense pacific spirit park is, which is more of a forest reserve.

UBC needs a dense neighbourhood to supplement it. Students should be able to live in a neighborhood where they can bike or transit to school in a timely fashion. A dense neighbourhood there would see the same walk/bike/transit rates that you see in the west end. A very successful neighbourhood. And there would still be huge amounts of park space to enjoy.
Quote:
I used to live off Dunbar and went to UBC so a pretty large chunk of my life was in and around the park. It has never even come close to busy compared to Stanley Park or Queen E, especially proportional to its size. This is especially true for the portion of the park around and north of University Boulevard. It's not a good place to socialize with friends, it's not a good place to sit and relax, it's not a good place to soak up some sun, it has no flexibility, it has no options for exercise beyond walking and cycling. It's really not a good city park. Urban forest, sure, but parkspace no.

I actually agree that more park space is needed as density increases, but the usable space within these parks is miniscule compared to the massive size of them. If we want this to be a city park make it a city park. In the meantime it's a lot of deadspace.

Since I'm being strawmanned in this thread, I feel like I have to say that obviously SFHs need to be densified in the CoV and in a perfect world we'd legalise housing options across the regional district. However, in a perfect world the best place for density is also along high capacity transit corridors with nearby services like parks and schools. It's a lot harder to justify the cost of the UBCx line without any activation along this corridor too. Given the Musqueam Development Corp is in full swing with lelem and the University Golf Course will be developed by the end of the century, it's already not as though this area will always remain a forest.

Here's the visualization of my idea of moving the recreational and agri-educational facilities in UBC to Pac Spirit and developing the stuff in between:

Current recreational and agri-educational facilities in UBC (minus the UBC Botanical Garden, I guess):

Lands to be removed from Pac Spirit (Options A/B):

Note that less land can be removed from the park if we move the UBC agri-educational facilities to Richmond or whatever other place inside the ALR.

The 1.10km2 freed-up is half the size of Metrotown Town Center (minus Central Park.)

This is way too much for student housing, so these would just be opened for general development.

Add this to the 1.29 km2 of the UEL lands on the west side of Pac Spirit:

And this is literally larger than Metrotown.

More than enough land to develop.
Hell, you could probably make a 2nd Downtown here, and fill it with 6+ FSR towers (which is much higher than most of UBC's current planned residential developments or Block F).
No chance Pac Spirit remains underused with this sort of plan.

You could probably even just give it to Musqueam and Squamish as reserve land and complete the Treaty Process that way, and create a Senkaw 60x the size.

No need to reduce the size of Pac Spirit (technically).
Still a lot of trees cut, though.

Turning the University Golf Course into forest and putting it in the Pac Spirit Park does recover half of the lost forest, though, so if you do that, this may be more of an ecological wash, if anything.

Quote:
Not really sure how they're legally separate, but UBC is distinct from the UEL (weird right?), so even if the UEL joined Vancouver, UBC would still be governmentally distinct. So the College High Road area is outside of UBC's jurisdiction, and well let's be honest only a very privileged type of student is living in a ~$10M SFH adjacent to campus. Hopefully that redevelopment does happen and some trees are indeed saved, but it hasn't happened so far.

The Osoyoos Crescent area is currently planned by UBC to build more housing on, so that's happening regardless of a multi-billion dollar public transit investment.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ubc-...expansion-2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A couple things that other have already pointed out: Once that forest and its carbon sequestration abilities are gone, it is gone forever. Second, there's a slew of multimillion dollar single family homes on the UEL between NW Marine and University Blvd. (10th) that can be redeveloped to meet housing needs. It is doubtful any of those current owners work or study at UBC so there's no need for them to be housed there.
I doubt that Metro Vancouver Forests make any meaningful contribution to slowing climate change.

The problem with the UEL SFHs right now is their status in Electoral Area A.
Block F has renewed the discussion to incorporate it, which is why we are here.

There's no way UEL would be incorporated or merged into CoV without adding the UBC's lands into the package.

Merging UBC and UEL into a single incorporated municipality would give UBC the privilege of buying up the SFHs and turning them into general rental (the residential lands in UBC itself are designed for student housing- aside from (kind of, sort of, not really) Acadia Park.

Incorporating just the UEL into the CoV or its own municipality sans UBC gives little potential for redevelopment of the SFHs, as they have the power to dictate planning in the area.

Quote:
The Burke Mountain sprawl is such a disaster on so many levels, the province got ripped off financially and ecologically by it, not to mention the needless urban sprawl so far from the core contributing to more vehicle dependent traffic.
Well, it at allows you to extend David Ave all the way across to Quarry and beyond, forming a single 'spine' that can be easily serviced by buses.

The development has also probably ironically been sped up by the opening of the Evergreen Line, which there's actually OK access for in terms of sprawl (<15 min driving to the Coquitlam Park + Rides).

Pinecone Burke overall isn't really much of a public park.

IMO, I have no problem with the province selling everything on Burke Mtn. and Pinecone Burke below the 1200 ft contour (other than the waterfalls on the east side of the Coquitlam River, and the marshes near the Pitt River, which would be kept as park).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Exactly. And that's the overarching principle that is foremost in, as you say, "regardless of what happens."
Is it?
Do we really need, say Deas Island park?
It's not really a great experience dealing with the George Massey nearby, and it's not particularly ecologically important.

Same thing with Port Mann 'Park', or Delta North 40 Park Reserve.

Neither will ever realistically be developed to anything useful unless they're sold off, and are basically just vacant lots the municipalities pretend is a park on otherwise extremely marginal lots.
One of them is a former landfill at the intersection of 2 expressways, and the other is former residential land that is in limbo because you can't build golf courses on ALR anymore.

Or the aforementioned Terminus Park.

I also have a deep hatred for Brae Island.

If you spend more than 2 hours there, you will be covered from head to toe with mosquitos.
I don't care about the environmental importance- Brae Island is a mosquito hellhole.
Cover the entire thing on concrete and asphalt so that no one will ever have to deal with that nightmare of an 'island' ever again.

Last edited by fredinno; May 11, 2023 at 5:46 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics