HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:05 AM

Has anyone heard any new news on this project?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
Has anyone heard any new news on this project?
The Roller Rink extended it's lease again. They have ball hockey all the way to the end of summer now. So this probably won't start till 2019 for sure now.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:07 AM

The Roller Rink lease will be ending on June 30, 2018 officially. They are trying to secure a new location in Cloverdale.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The Roller Rink lease will be ending on June 30, 2018 officially. They are trying to secure a new location in Cloverdale.
Unless they extend yet again?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:56 AM

This project appears to be on hold. There's been no activity on the file since September 2017. No scoping package submitted yet, let alone detailed design.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=17&seq=0159

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:23 AM

Final skate at the rink

Final skate at the rink

https://www.peacearchnews.com/entert...this-saturday/

can't wait to see the demolition going

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosup View Post
Final skate at the rink

https://www.peacearchnews.com/entert...this-saturday/

can't wait to see the demolition going
Well this project better move forward now. It really irritates me when they have tenants move out only to have the building sit empty with no movement

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Well this project better move forward now. It really irritates me when they have tenants move out only to have the building sit empty with no movement
From previous experiences the developer wants to tear it down as fast as possible, but issues arise regarding asbestos or otherwise which can delay the process a few days or sometimes weeks!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:09 PM

Days or weeks is manageable. It's months or years when it becomes an issue.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Days or weeks is manageable. It's months or years when it becomes an issue.
Yeah as long as they ar working on it that's fine. I'm talking about projects that are put on hold after they have tenants move out

Shift had mentioned this may be on hold. If so it's unfortunate that now we have a vacant building for no reason

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Yeah as long as they ar working on it that's fine. I'm talking about projects that are put on hold after they have tenants move out

Shift had mentioned this may be on hold. If so it's unfortunate that now we have a vacant building for no reason
I don't have any inside info or anything - just basing this on Surrey's Cosmos site - which shows that neither scoping or detailed design has been submitted yet. No activity on the file since Sept 2017. Possible it just hasn't been updated - but other projects are updated regularly so not sure why this one wouldn't be.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I don't have any inside info or anything - just basing this on Surrey's Cosmos site - which shows that neither scoping or detailed design has been submitted yet. No activity on the file since Sept 2017. Possible it just hasn't been updated - but other projects are updated regularly so not sure why this one wouldn't be.

Probably because WestStone has been involved with Evolve to get it to completion, then when they are ready to move onto their next portfolio that includes the next Urban village phase, this may happen at the same time. Already in the news that it is likely happening:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surre...on-mega-centre

Last edited by Cypherus; Jun 22, 2018 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Lots don't update. At the mercy of a staff member putting in all the details and I've seen projects start excavation and not even have engineering info or servicing agreements up. There are even completed high-rise projects that don't have those detailed filled out and they were clearly done because they are built.

So I wouldn't put 100% faith into what the Cosmos site says.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:41 PM

Trouble on this project..

Staff is recommending that 3rd reading be rescinded at next Monday's Council meeting.

https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounc...17-0159-00.pdf

Apparently the applicant no longer wants to be bound by the Housing Agreement entered into at 3rd reading - which would limit occupancy for a portion of the tower to student housing. The applicant wants the flexibility to rent units to the general public.

The project was granted a density increase and parking relaxations based on the dedicated student housing component.

Council can either rescind 3rd reading Monday and send the application back to Staff for revision (new design / less density - in line with what is permitted on the site)

or

Council can rescind 3rd reading and schedule a new public hearing for the project with a change to the housing agreement allowing for renting to the general public.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Trouble on this project..

Staff is recommending that 3rd reading be rescinded at next Monday's Council meeting.

https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounc...17-0159-00.pdf

Apparently the applicant no longer wants to be bound by the Housing Agreement entered into at 3rd reading - which would limit occupancy for a portion of the tower to student housing. The applicant wants the flexibility to rent units to the general public.

The project was granted a density increase and parking relaxations based on the dedicated student housing component.

Council can either rescind 3rd reading Monday and send the application back to Staff for revision (new design / less density - in line with what is permitted on the site)

or

Council can rescind 3rd reading and schedule a new public hearing for the project with a change to the housing agreement allowing for renting to the general public.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Yeah, I've heard from a source involved in the project they were also wanting the option to sell the "dorm units" if they needed to.

In my opinion, not the worst thing in the world, but they should've planned this better from the start.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
Yeah, I've heard from a source involved in the project they were also wanting the option to sell the "dorm units" if they needed to.

In my opinion, not the worst thing in the world, but they should've planned this better from the start.
I imagine that if they can't fill all of their dorms with students who need them, they'll want to sell them off. Very weird that they didn't come to this inclusion at an earlier date.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticodex View Post
I imagine that if they can't fill all of their dorms with students who need them, they'll want to sell them off. Very weird that they didn't come to this inclusion at an earlier date.
They won't necessarily sell them off. They are looking to rent them out for short term or long term accommodation. In other words, diversifying their inventory of units to be available for multi purpose (which may include in selling units at market)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 6:36 AM

So basically "wow Condo market is hot, we're idiots like the West Village, for limiting ourselves to rent only and likely just students... we'd like to be able to get into the hot Condo market PLS THX."

*sigh* Again like the other thread, I understand why from a business standpoint, I'm just disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
So basically "wow Condo market is hot, we're idiots like the West Village, for limiting ourselves to rent only and likely just students... we'd like to be able to get into the hot Condo market PLS THX."

*sigh* Again like the other thread, I understand why from a business standpoint, I'm just disappointed.
That's not what's happening.

The issue is they want to be able to rent units to the general public / not limit to just students. The project's investors were worried they won't be able to fill the tower with students year round / and would jeopardize the financially viability of the project.

However.. the applicant withdrew the request just before the Council meeting Monday.

From minutes:

"Prior to the start of the meeting, a letter was received from Hamilton Duncan Armstrong + Stewart Law Corporation on behalf of the Applicant advising that the Developer is formally requesting the withdrawal of the amended proposal, and will develop in accordance with the original terms and conditions considered by Council at the October 2, 2017, Regular Council – Land Use Meeting, and subsequent Public Hearing on October 23, 2017."

So looks like nothing has changed. Still has 3rd reading / will likely go for 4th in the fall now.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:14 PM

Looks like they are getting ready to tear down the building. Signage has been removed from exterior / painted over.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley