HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:08 PM

"...The first brushed stroke on a portrait,
Or the last floor of the Freedom Tower,
Jutting into the sky,that yields to our resilience,..."

Words from the poet Richard Blanco at the Inaguration.

Jonas Fredwall Karlsson

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...urricane-sandy

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Jan 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:52 PM

Broadcasters moving here would add about 4 million potential viewers in N.J. and on L.I.
Or, 162 viewers if you weed out the ones who haven't used an antenna in ten years.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 7:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
"...The first brushed stroke on a portrait,
Or the last floor of the Freedom Tower,
Jotting into the sky,that yields to our resilience,..."

Words from the poet Richard Blanco at the Inaguration.

Yes, it was nice to get a mention in the Inaugural Poem (One Today).

Quote:
...One sky: since the Appalachians and Sierras claimed
their majesty, and the Mississippi and Colorado worked
their way to the sea. Thank the work of our hands:
weaving steel into bridges, finishing one more report
for the boss on time, stitching another wound
or uniform, the first brush stroke on a portrait,
or the last floor on the Freedom Tower
jutting into a sky that yields to our resilience.
Full text...
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/today...ry?id=18274653

John Skelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Broadcasters moving here would add about 4 million potential viewers in N.J. and on L.I.
Or, 162 viewers if you weed out the ones who haven't used an antenna in ten years.

More on Durst's plans for the antenna...

http://www.radioworld.com/article/de...ew-york/213795

Quote:
Durst expects its new broadcast center at 1 WTC to generate more than $10 million in rents and fees from broadcasters annually. Upfront capital costs to build the antenna are projected to be approximately $7.4 million, according to the developers. Projected total cost for the new building is now estimated at $3.9 billion, according to the NY Daily News.

Durst also operates rooftop broadcast facilities atop 4 Times Square in midtown Manhattan. The development firm is promoting the 1 WTC antenna as the city’s premium broadcast antenna platform. It plans to market both its locations to broadcasters with 1 WTC serving as a primary site with redundant power and 4 Times Square as backup, Durst stated in a press release.

The Empire State Building, 1,250 feet tall with a 204-foot antenna, is home to 19 FM stations — 14 on the master FM antenna — and most of the city’s digital television transmitters. Many radio and television broadcasters migrated to Empire after the collapse of the World Trade Center’s twin towers in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. The former WTC’s North Tower featured a 360-foot broadcast mast.

A report in the Wall Street Journal said the Empire State Building generated $16.1 million in rent from broadcasters in 2010, according to securities filings with the SEC. Malkin Holdings, owner of the Empire State Building, did not respond to messages left by Radio World for this story. Jim Stagnitto, director of engineering for New York Public Radio, said he believes broadcasters transmitting signals from Empire will take a wait-and-see stance on 1 WTC. The Empire State Building’s rooftop facilities include nearly every radio and television broadcaster in the city. It’s long been rumored that the master FM antenna tower on Empire eventually will need to be re-built. Olkowski said he’s aware of no imminent plans to do so...... The Empire State Building also has what is referred to as the “mini-master” antenna, which replaced three separate panel antennas in 1996. It is home to WQHT(FM), WCBS(FM) and WPLJ(FM). “Empire has been the only player in town for over a decade. I believe competition is a good thing. The new tower will give broadcasters more options. That’s always good,” Olkowski said. He reported that Clear Channel and CBS currently are rebuilding some of their facilities at Empire.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:32 PM

those pictures are great!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

A view from Connecticut...

hsalov

That's amazing. I didn't know you could see it that far away. Is that picture from Greenwich, Conn.? That's where my brother lives.

So cool that you can see the ESB too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Such a good looking building. It's amazing to have watched it grow from a hole in the ground over the last 3 years on here. I can't wait to see it in person.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
it looks like OLD GREENWICH private beach...my Aunt lives there and i go there all thew time....its awesome view....I have pics of the former TWINS froim that beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
That's amazing. I didn't know you could see it that far away. Is that picture from Greenwich, Conn.? That's where my brother lives.

Yes, it was taken from Greenwich, CT, precisaly from Tod's Point Beach AKA Greenwich Point (the picture is contained in an album called "A walk in Tod's Point")

Very cool picture, you can appreciate the earth's curvature (for example you can't see the deck of the Verrazano, obscured by the sea)

It would be nice to see a picture from the same point, 4 or 5 years from now, when 432 Park, HY and maybe other skyscraper are finished or well ahead in their construction.

By the way, it is about 49 km. away from Lower Manhattan.

Here it is a similar picture, you can also see, under the tree, the buildings of New Rochelle.

Sunset over LI Sound por hsalov, en Flickr

Last edited by CCs77; Jan 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post

This is one of a *choice* handful of Sound-view pics of the Apple....A *wonderful* shot, this.

FYI, The towers of the Throg's Neck Bridge are to the left peeking above the tree-line, and the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge is almost dead-center in the photo. And I think JC's tallest is the very first high-rise you see from the left.

The Skyline view is so incredible that I'm still trying to figure out what building that is which marks the space between Midtown and Downtown. Trump maybe?

Edit: @CCs77: Thank you for the distance info (49 km= 30.44&c miles). Distance-wise, this is essentially tantamount to an unimpeded view the City from Jayne's Hill located about a mile from Long Island's Nassau/Suffolk county border. FYI, it's also the highest peak on Long Island @ max. 400' ASL, and an *extremely* short drive from my home.
The vista I just described would certainly lend itself to considerably greater detail owing to the height of the vantage point. IOW, if this were taken from Jayne's Hill, the Verrazano almost certainly *would* be visible, but only with the aid of an *extremely* high-powered lens. Also, as mentioned in another post, the "Big V"'s 693' towers--nearly 100' higher than the LIPA stacks in Northport, *themselves* reportedly visible from as far inland as the Hudson Palisades on a clear day--would surely be seen to tip towards each other due to the earth's curvature.
And yes indeed, the cityscape come year 2015 should be a sight indeed...I'm thinking possibly twice as massive as right now(?)!
Oh BTW...Have I mentioned, to the point of this thread, that 1WTC looks simply immense, even from that distance?
I feel so small........

Last edited by JayPro; Jan 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM. Reason: questioned answered.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:44 AM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:55 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

What sits on the ESB looks much more like a spire than, what will be on 1WTC. Strip all the eqipment from ESB, make it look Permanant or a spire and let it be the cities tallest again

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 5:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Yes, it was taken from Greenwich, CT, precisaly from Tod's Point Beach AKA Greenwich Point (the picture is contained in an album called "A walk in Tod's Point")

Very cool picture, you can appreciate the earth's curvature (for example you can't see the deck of the Verrazano, obscured by the sea)
I don't think that is the Verrazano Bridge though. From Greenwich, the line of sight in that direction covers Queens and Brooklyn before getting to the Verrazano Bridge. Plus, that's not the angle of the Verrazano one would see from Greenwich. I'm pretty sure that's the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge.

Either way, awesome photo!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I don't think that is the Verrazano Bridge though. From Greenwich, the line of sight in that direction covers Queens and Brooklyn before getting to the Verrazano Bridge. Plus, that's not the angle of the Verrazano one would see from Greenwich. I'm pretty sure that's the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge.

Bridge towers @ left above tree-line: Throg's Neck
Bridge near mid-photo: Bronx-Whitestone.

So help me, Zod.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah def the northern queens bridges not the verrazano. regardless, the shots from connecticut are stunners. fun to see the skyline so visible from there. i dont remember that view from visits or maybe i have just forgotten as its been so long since i was on the beach on the northside of the sound.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Bridge towers @ left above tree-line: Throg's Neck
Bridge near mid-photo: Bronx-Whitestone.

So help me, Zod.
Yes, I think you are right, it must be the Bronx-Whitestone. Drawing a straight line in GE, the Verrazano should be slightly to the left of the Bronx-Whitestone, could it be those little things barely visible above the horizon, over that guy or girl bend over with the blue sweater? By the way the Verrazano is about 59 km. away from this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah def the northern queens bridges not the verrazano. regardless, the shots from connecticut are stunners. fun to see the skyline so visible from there. i dont remember that view from visits or maybe i have just forgotten as its been so long since i was on the beach on the northside of the sound.
I guess that it is not an every day view, it must be pretty good atmospheric conditions, since it is so far away. A light haze could be enough to obscure that view.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:12 PM

I also know you can see NYC from the Mt Beacon area 53 air miles north from 1WTC at 1500 or 1600' MSL on the clearest days.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
the Verrazano should be slightly to the left of the Bronx-Whitestone, could it be those little things barely visible above the horizon, over that guy or girl bend over with the blue sweater? By the way the Verrazano is about 59 km. away from this point.
I think that is quite likely - im actually not sure what else could account for those two points sticking up over the horizon. dont forget that the Verrazano is in the top 10 or so as far as tallest bridges in the world at 211 meters. i dont think there is anything in that sight path that is very tall, other than the Verrazano

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:51 PM

i REALLY think that is the Verrazano. Not only is it tall, but it's also long and seems to be in the correct spot. Just an incredible bridge, only the Golden Gate beats it in beauty, IMO. Sorry to go off topic

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 8:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Ok, we're getting way off course here. It's simply a view, one of many. Give it a rest.

guava1950

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:12 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive