HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 12:28 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Is there a Water Crisis in Augusta, Savannah, or Brunswick? No. Why's that? Because they aren't relying on 2 lakes for their water.

BTW I've only been hearing about Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee, what's the status on Lake Allatoona(ATL and North GA's "other" big lake for drinking water) and the Coosa River? I'm not sure why, but it kinda bothers me how it seems everyone on here has only been focusing on Lake Lanier and not discussing Allatoona(which I'd hope has more water left, even if it's a smaller sized lake).

It's just sad that areas like Macon/Warner Robins have their house in order with water vs. ATL(though, I've heard estimates that Macon metro has 500 days worth of water available which isn't a whole lot if I recall).
According to the ARC website, metro Atlanta gets 84% of its water supply from the Chattahoochee/Lake Lanier and the Etowah/Lake Allatoona. Lake Lanier, at 38,000 acres, is 3 times the size of 12,800 acre Lake Allatoona. This map from ARC shows where the water supply of various metro areas comes from:

There are three MAJOR resevoirs to the Northeast of Atlanta that total about 150,000 acres - Lake Hartwell, Lake Thurmond, and Lake Russell. All three are on the Savannah River and lie partly in Georgia and partly in S.C., yet the state of Georgia/metro Atlanta is not allowed to draw from these lakes. At least half of the watershed for the lakes is in Georgia...does anyone know why we can't use this plentiful supply of water?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 3:14 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Is there a Water Crisis in Augusta, Savannah, or Brunswick? No. Why's that? Because they aren't relying on 2 lakes for their water.

BTW I've only been hearing about Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee, what's the status on Lake Allatoona(ATL and North GA's "other" big lake for drinking water) and the Coosa River? I'm not sure why, but it kinda bothers me how it seems everyone on here has only been focusing on Lake Lanier and not discussing Allatoona(which I'd hope has more water left, even if it's a smaller sized lake).

It's just sad that areas like Macon/Warner Robins have their house in order with water vs. ATL(though, I've heard estimates that Macon metro has 500 days worth of water available which isn't a whole lot if I recall).
Um, according to the drought map, all those places aren't in the drought we are.

Savannah and Brunswick actually had above average rainfall this year...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueb73 View Post
def an option, but i dont know how much you can get from that.

we got one down here, and i doubt we get 50 million gallons a day from it, and its pretty big.

so, youd need alot of them, or a few massive ones.
If that's the case Georgia could plan for a huge desal project that would make the Guinness Book of World Records. It would be very expensive but well worth it in the long run. Problem solved. The History Channel could do a special of it on Modern Marvels for a future broadcast. We have the technology but with enough support it could happen. Also Georgia could make a killing off neighboring states. Water like oil is a very powerful commodity. Oh, don't forget to pay your water bill or will cut you off.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:22 AM
Reliable Source

Roy,

What you're proposing isn't economically feasible.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:23 AM
Reliable Source

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:03 PM
Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
There are three MAJOR resevoirs to the Northeast of Atlanta that total about 150,000 acres - Lake Hartwell, Lake Thurmond, and Lake Russell. All three are on the Savannah River and lie partly in Georgia and partly in S.C., yet the state of Georgia/metro Atlanta is not allowed to draw from these lakes. At least half of the watershed for the lakes is in Georgia...does anyone know why we can't use this plentiful supply of water?
One reason might be the legacy of riparian doctrine (water law) in the Eastern US, which generally forbid interbasin transfers (although that has been going on to a limited extent in Atlanta anyway). Georgia can’t really be considered under riparian doctrine anymore, but it might explain the reluctance or perhaps even the legal barriers to a statewide water network. I’m not sure that this is the reason, but it might contribute some.

This is in great contrast to the westerns states that operate under prior appropriate. Note the massive water transfers in California and Colorado. Denver has turned the Rocky Mountains into Swiss cheese, piping in vast quantities from the other side of the continental divide.

What really bugs me about this issue is the characterization of Georgia, and particularly Atlanta as water greedy. I don’t say this as a justification for wasteful habits, just in reaction to what I see as an intellectually dishonest characterization. Atlanta is probably unique, or among a very small number, of US cities that rely on water sources with watersheds that are almost entirely within their own metro areas. In other words, Atlanta has probably one of the highest levels of indigenous water use. The water that Atlanta uses is generally the same water that fell within the boundaries of its own metro area. Compare this with any other large city. New York pipes in water from all over the state, including inter-basin transfers from the Delaware River basin. Denver was already discussed. LA pipes in water from the Colorado River, a completely different watershed, spread over many other states. DC gets its water from the Potomac, whose watershed expands thousands of sq miles outside the metro area. If Atlanta was using water “originating” from other states or areas well beyond the boundaries of its metro area, such characterizations would be appropriate, but I find it disingenuous to claim people are greedy for wanting to use the very water that falls on their land.

Georgia does deserve criticism for failing to expand storage. This is a problem that has been well known for decades. However, in fairness to the government (I can’t believe I am cutting them slack), they may have faced legal challenges from both environmental groups and down stream users to build additional capacity. I’m not sure if that is the case, but I seem to remember hearing about opposition to some of the proposed reservoirs.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:52 PM
Back on the road again

Good points about the metro utilizing water within its own watershed, niff. I had never given that much thought, but, you're absolutely correct in that regard.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:18 PM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Roy,

What you're proposing isn't economically feasible.
why?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:34 PM

^The cost of pumping all that water from sea level up to Atlanta which is 1010' above sea level would make water much more expensive.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:50 PM
Reliable Source

What may be economically feasible is to pump water from rivers in middle Georgia or from the Tennessee River.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 9:00 PM

Quote:
What may be economically feasible is to pump water from rivers in middle Georgia or from the Tennessee River.
Oh no; 1st we get that Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Superhighway built and then we'll talk about piping in water parallel to the Superhighway from Lake Guntersville to the Coosa/Etowah River and therefore go to Lake Allatoona.

You'll have to talk to Alabama and TVA specifically about that. TVA likes its river water.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Oh no; 1st we get that Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Superhighway built and then we'll talk about piping in water parallel to the Superhighway from Lake Guntersville to the Coosa/Etowah River and therefore go to Lake Allatoona.

You'll have to talk to Alabama and TVA specifically about that. TVA likes its river water.
Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:40 PM
Reliable Source

I'm suggesting to take no more than 1% of the flow, just downriver from Chattanooga, and only when north Georgia is impacted by severe drought conditions. I guarantee you'd not even notice.

I hope you don't think Georgia's gain here would be Alabama's loss. What benefits one state benefits the other.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'm suggesting to take no more than 1% of the flow, just downriver from Chattanooga, and only when north Georgia is impacted by severe drought conditions. I guarantee you'd not even notice.

I hope you don't think Georgia's gain here would be Alabama's loss. What benefits one state benefits the other.
I don't think Georgia's in any position to ask the State of Tennessee for anything, and that's where we get the Tennessee River's water from. From what I hear, there's not much love between Tennessee and Georgia(and I'm not just talking about what happened a couple weeks ago with the final score of the football game).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
Reliable Source

I don't get this state rivalry thing. One hand washes the other, seems to me.

Of course, I'm not a college football fan either.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:55 AM
Reliable Source

But I agree we have to solve our water problems from within our own resources, and not depend on other states. The first thing we need to improve on is conservation.

We're not the only ones. Here's an interesting article being featured by Drudge, that discusses the water problems being encountered in many areas of the country.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:39 AM
Reliable Source

Although they are TVA properties, Lakes Chatuge, Blue Ridge and Nottely lie completely within the boundaries of Georgia, and since Tennessee and Alabama are permitted to withdraw water for municipal purposes, presumably the same could happen for Georgia. All three lakes have summer pools lying several hundred feet above the Atlanta area, and Chatuge is especially interesting because it has the highest pool (1,926 ft summer pool) and also is kept at 93% of flood storage capacity during the summer. With that gradient, a gravity-feed aquaduct (with some tunnelling) could be built all the way to Atlanta! No need for pumps and electricity.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:34 AM

Fiorenza, you are spot on as usual. All of America's great cities thrived because they found a way to access water. New York brought it down through the great tunnels from the Catskills. Los Angeles with Mulholland's great aqueducts. Chicago with its amazing Lake Michigan cribs.

We need an equally bold plan, or we’ll wither just as surely as the Bermuda on our .6 acre lawns.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:00 AM
Reliable Source

I hate to be crass about it, but if the Atlanta region makes up over 60% of the population of Georgia and a sizable percentage of the Southeast, there's not going to be a lot from a political point of view that can be done by Georgia if not Alabama and Tennessee, to keep Atlanta from getting water if indeed the faucets run dry. The longer you delay, the more you'll pay. People will relocate and live where they damn well please, the politicians count votes, and the time is gone when internal migration could be forced through punitive measures.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 7:59 AM

^Oh Atlanta will get its water somewhere, just not from TVA's jurisdiction. The amount it could even draw from the Tennessee River wouldn't make it economically feasible, even without legal barriers.

Water from the Savannah will happen first, through agreements with SC and new inter-basin water transfer policies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta