HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 3:01 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Just got back from a trip using the airport and I was quite pleased! The security room is much larger, and the waiting room has been expanded as well. There are also 4 new bridges now, which meant I did not have to walk outside in the cold! Work is ongoing, so it kind of smells in there though. The design of the new waiting room is nothing special, but it seems functional.

On another note, I recently heard that Air Canada will be cancelling their flights to Calgary because their not making enough money.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 9:54 PM

they didn't just say canceling it could possibly just be downsized so just hope for the best

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:22 AM

No they are reducing system wide capacity by using smaller planes and less frequent flights. They are out right canceling the following flights.

Ottawa-Thunder Bay
Ottawa-Washington Dulles
Montreal-Washington Dulles
Calgary-Chicago
Calgary-San Francisco
(Calgary-London, Ontario)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 11:47 PM

New expansion opened up today:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2...-17745171.html

used London airport last October, and even at that time, it just a foundation in the ground. Fast project - that's for sure.

There's a video in there too, place is barely recognizable.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:01 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Yep, that's exactly what I saw when I was there only a few days ago, but it still seemed tiny because I arrived around midnight, and our plane was the only one there!

3 Problems with the report:

1: Flights to Las Vegas? What's that about?
2:40-50 Flights a day? There's no way, including just passenger flights.
3:"Modernistic"? I'm pleased with the expansion, but I think the mayor got a little carried away there. Maybe I'll just need to get a better look around next time.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
1: Flights to Las Vegas? What's that about?
Wondering about this one myself.

On a positive note, it's amazing the transformation of London's airport in the last 10 years. Hopefully that continues and they do end up adding those flights.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

40-50 Flights a day?

No way Jose. perhaps per week.

or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:10 PM

They must be factoring in those flights...maybe down the road 40-50 real flight landing/taking off but I agree there is no way that is happening right now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
40-50 Flights a day?

No way Jose. perhaps per week.

or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)
I'd say probably close to 25 commercial flights per day at this time. Just my guess. That's incoming and outgoing.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:16 PM

Just booked an international air trip, in which I will be taking off from Chicago. By not flying to Chicago from London first (and vice-versa), I'm saving over $250, even after factoring in other transportation to/from Chicago.

I suppose if you're traveling internationally for business and time is of the essence, then flying out of London or even Toronto would make sense. But if it's for pleasure, then it makes little sense. Of course, if you're flying somewhere else in Canada, then flying out of London is probably the cheapest.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
40-50 Flights a day? No way Jose. perhaps per week.or maybe they are factoring the two-seater landings/takeoffs (e.g., diamond aircraft)
It looks like just under 30 arrivals/departures in the next 24 hours, and much of that is on a Saturday, so I'd say that on a weekday we're probably looking at 35 or so per day, which equates to about 230 commercial flights a week. Not bad. Not 50, but not bad.

As for throwing the 2/4/6 seaters into the mix, Wikki says that there was 141,000 total aircraft movements in 2009. That's a takeoff or landing every 3.75 minutes 24/7/365. Sure, there aren't any A380's working there, but those are respectable numbers for a city of this size and sandwiched between 3 larger facilities and within an hour of a comparable sized facility.

What's really nice about the place is that it has all of the amenities that pretty much any aircraft in the world needs - including the largest aircraft and payloads in the world. Watching an Antinov take off with a locomotive in the hold is pretty freekin' impressive. It also allows folks to make quick family visits: a friend of mine met a gentleman last summer who arrived at London airport for a day visit to visit family - in his F-18. His departure was... colourful. Couldn't see that at Pearson!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^truly. I like London's little-big airport. Goldilocks, she be. My only wish is more direct flights to some of the cities that I visit often (Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, NYC) in addition to Detroit (now gone) and of course, Taranna.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 9:39 PM

They'll come more and more if flying regional comes cheaper or similar to the cost of driving or taking the train.

Doesn't London have flights to Montreal and Ottawa already? Just wish Westjet would get the Vancouver - London - Halifax flight up to year long.

And will I be the only one who misses getting off in the summer on the tarmac? I remember taking my girlfriend (who grew up in BC) to London the first time, 29C felt like 36C - first comment out of her mouth: "It Feels like Cuba Here!" with a big smile on her face.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:54 PM
Sanity merchant

I'd love to see flights to LA, Vegas, and possibly Vancouver / Seattle. I know, that while I would not use these on a very regular basis, they'd be used by me once each, minimum. We have a big enough market for Vegas, and I figure LA could be fun / work around well as the Bay Area could work with it.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I wonder when flights with Porter are going to come. Surely, if places like Windsor, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, and Sudbury have them (or are soon getting them) than we are next.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:45 PM

I have heard the rumor that Porter asked for the landing, and gate fees to be waved, and the airport said no. So Porter will not be coming anytime soon.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 9:35 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by new age View Post
I have heard the rumor that Porter asked for the landing, and gate fees to be waved, and the airport said no. So Porter will not be coming anytime soon.
Oh man, I hope that's not true.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Oh man, I hope that's not true.
Whatever, if it is - it's Porter being a bunch of cheapskates if you ask me.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:20 AM

The talks have been off and on before. I was curious a while back about Porter so I asked around, and that is the only lead I got. I tried to look into it more but it went nowhere. Another thing that came up was possible tension over Robert Deluce's past ownership of Air Ontario.

Porter looks to be doing well but it has had it's trials. There was a conflict over a bridge to the airport, ownership of the airport, and Robert J. Deluce's family's past airline ownerships has been criticised.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:00 PM

I'll be flying into London next week and look forward to seeing the changes to the Airport. New terminal and all that jazz should be good to see

Although I personally will miss getting off walking across the tarmac. I personally miss that summer humidity. Just remember my BC girlfriend commenting that it felt like Cuba after her first step out of the plane that first time she came back with me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure