HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:03 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Yes, within this context, you clearly didn't have a clear understanding of the gravity of the situation or their implications. Is that clear enough for you?

EDIT:

Responding to your phantom edit:

I never denied this at a general level, and if you read my post carefully (like word for word) you'll see I acknowledged that they would have had 'some' health workers but clearly not enough (as highlighted in an article on the matter comparing with a vancouver event) and they certainly did not have 17 ambulances. From your link they state, "on-site ambulance." Note that it was singular, not plural.

Within this context, your comment was misleading and unhelpful, and that is because either you wanted to mislead, or you don't understand the medical system. I assumed the latter, but perhaps it was the former.

No. The system was not set-up for 17 people needing hospital care, and ambulances had to be re-directed.

Stuff it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn't mean to phantom edit, accidentally hit post.

Did EMS enter into a red alert status? If not, then I don't see it as being something to get worried about. It wasn't 17 ambulances all at once, it was over the entire event.

How about you stop assuming what I do and do not know from one sentence?

I'm not defending the event or the stupid actions of those involved.
Again I come back to we have bigger issues than a festival if our health system is strained by 17 people needing care over a 2 day period. If the ambulance crew has to dedicate significant time to a patient once they reach the hospital than that is a separate issue that needs to be dealt with and isn't specific to Chasing Summer. If redirecting an ambulance from one district to another results in issues we don't have enough ambulances.

The issues that have been identified are systemic issues not issues with Chasing Summer.

And also Suburbia it wasn't 17 at one time, at most there likely would have been 2-3 in use at any given time.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
... it wasn't 17 at one time, at most there likely would have been 2-3 in use at any given time.
Go back and read my posts on this. Impossible that it maxed out at 3 on resource usage. Three would not have been enough for EMS to go to the media and highlight risks to the non-druggies resulting from system strain because of the druggies.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:13 PM
BANNED

Throw-away buildings: The slow-motion failure of glass condos
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/condos/

Quote:
Building scientists have known for a long time that glass-walled structures are less energy efficient than the stone and concrete buildings that were put up forty of fifty years ago. <>
However, industry insiders warn that as energy costs climb, glass towers may become the "pariah" buildings of the future.
I think the above is interesting for a number of reasons, including the condo dwellers that claim to be doing it because they are environmentalists.

Experts warn new condos could become ‘urban slum’
http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/10/14/Ex...rban-slum.aspx

Quote:
... many buildings are so poorly constructed that some residents fear that the money-spinners of today could become the slums of the future.
I feel sad for the holders of this bag. We should start a top ten list of the worst special assessments.

Last edited by suburbia; Aug 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Get ready for sky-high condo fees and decreasing market values
http://www.troymedia.com/2014/11/06/...-glass-condos/

Quote:
It’s almost criminal that in a time when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is sounding the alarm over the consequences of escalating fossil fuel consumption, cranes in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and other major cities are erecting structures that are not only grossly inefficient, but will also compound the need to generate massive amounts of energy to get through both chilly winter nights and blazing summer days.
<>
It is estimated that fully one-half of the energy consumed in Canada is used to heat and cool our buildings. The rate of consumption could be cut substantially by resorting to readily available technology, but we’re not demanding it be done. Imagine the meaningful reductions in greenhouse gasses that could be made by simply getting serious about curbing the scandalous waste in our buildings.

Instead, we are doing the opposite.
<>
There are two obvious implications for the poor owners of these units: 1) as word spreads about the costs associated with these units, their market value will fall; 2) those mostly condos fees will grow as crippling surcharges are added to cover the cost of wall repairs.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:21 PM

Curious, is there a per capita comparison of cCondo towers vs SFH heating and cooling costs?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The issues that have been identified are systemic issues not issues with Chasing Summer.

And also Suburbia it wasn't 17 at one time, at most there likely would have been 2-3 in use at any given time.
The real issue is why are today's recreational drugs putting people in the hospital? Why weren't there booths where kids could test the purity of their drugs?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:37 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Go back and read my posts on this. Impossible that it maxed out at 3 on resource usage. Three would not have been enough for EMS to go to the media and highlight risks to the non-druggies resulting from system strain because of the druggies.
Please tell me where the source of the news story was AHS? There are no press releases on their website which is where you would expect to see something.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/newsreleases.asp

Likely scenario here is that a intrepid reported contacted AHS to determine how many calls they received with the very intent of making something out of nothing.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:39 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
The real issue is why are today's recreational drugs putting people in the hospital? Why weren't there booths where kids could test the purity of their drugs?
Because people figure that if it's prohibited or out of there sight it doesn't exist. As far as I know we figure out that just because something is hidden doesn't stop it from existing around 6-9 months of age.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
I understand that large festivals (Shambhala, Burning Man, etc.) provide free drugs test kits so people can test the product themselves.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:13 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
I understand that large festivals (Shambhala, Burning Man, etc.) provide free drugs test kits so people can test the product themselves.
Correction. They have a drug testing tent, and the testing is done by professional hippies while you observe in awe.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Throw-away buildings: The slow-motion failure of glass condos
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/condos/

I think the above is interesting for a number of reasons, including the condo dwellers that claim to be doing it because they are environmentalists.

Experts warn new condos could become ‘urban slum’
http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/10/14/Ex...rban-slum.aspx

I feel sad for the holders of this bad. We should start a top ten list of the worst special assessments.

I thought you were good at math?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Correction. They have a drug testing tent, and the testing is done by professional hippies while you observe in awe.
Ah! Well that's even better.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
And I think they have found testing really cuts down on the number of incidents. We've been fighting the war on drugs now for over 40 years and people still insist on doing drugs. Might as well give up on enforcement and make sure folks are doing them as safely as possible.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Curious, is there a per capita comparison of cCondo towers vs SFH heating and cooling costs?
Unsure, but I think the comparison was condo construction from 50 years ago compared to the condo construction demanded today by the uber environmentalists.

One thing I know in my home is that our basement is great in summer, because of the inherent geothermal cooling. Movies in our theatre and extremely enjoyable without the need for any cooling!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Condo glass panels may look great, but you'll pay more for heat and AC
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle19295959/
Quote:
Some experts go so far as to predict that replacing the all-glass outer layers of buildings may become necessary as early as 15 to 20 years from the day that the condo is built, and cost as much as $80,000 per unit. In short, what seems very attractive and appealing to condo buyers today may come to haunt them in the not-so-distant future.
Can Highly Glazed Building Façades Be Green?
http://buildingscience.com/documents...walls-be-green
Quote:
When I see a fully glazed, floor-to-ceiling commercial or institutional building, I see an energy-consuming nightmare of a building that requires lots of heating and cooling at the perimeter just to maintain comfort.
<>
All too often, however, designers appear to choose all-glass curtain walls or floor-to-ceiling strip windows because they make it easy to create a sleek impression while leaving all the tricky details in the hands of the manufacturers. How much longer can we afford to pay the energy bills that result from that choice? It’s high time to revive the craft of designing beautiful facades that don’t cost the earth.
They call them CONDOMiniums because the developer gets to screw the buyer without incurring risk
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/c..._conundrum.pdf

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'd like to live in a high rise in Montreal. Sadly most of the down town ones are a bit pricey.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Great post on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...ondos_will_be/

Quote:
I used to rent in an all-glass condo and now I rent in a condo (still new-ish building) that's not entirely glass. My electricity is actually half of what it used to be since I do not have to run the a/c non-stop.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:22 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:31 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Didn't realise this was a Calgary thing. Thought the Tuscany was the Italian one... Oops.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:44 AM

Quote:
And I think they have found testing really cuts down on the number of incidents. We've been fighting the war on drugs now for over 40 years and people still insist on doing drugs. Might as well give up on enforcement and make sure folks are doing them as safely as possible.
This x100. The more we try and fight drugs, the more needless overdoses and deaths we are going to have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues