HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:39 AM
ARTchitecture

It's AVLI not ALVI... I imagine it will be pronounced AV LEE

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:26 AM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's AVLI not ALVI... I imagine it will be pronounced AV LEE
Dyslexia setting in yeah/no??? Mistery solved - thanx much!!!!

( Hope I spelled it right )

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:15 PM
ARTchitecture

Here is the updated render for Centre Green at Centre and 13th. A significant improvement in my opinion.

Centre Green by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:18 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Here is the updated render for Centre Green at Centre and 13th. A significant improvement in my opinion.

Really starting to doubt Calgary designers colour choices, is bodily fluids the trend of the month?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

we're getting a Karstadt??

I know it's just a drawing but what an odd choice for signage...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Really starting to doubt Calgary designers colour choices, is bodily fluids the trend of the month?
Shitty colors but the massing's good for the area. Lots of infills just north of 16th ave happening now too. Hoping some of these new proposals along the transcanada get going next.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:59 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Shitty colors but the massing's good for the area. Lots of infills just north of 16th ave happening now too. Hoping some of these new proposals along the transcanada get going next.
I believe the overall structure of 16th needs to change before we'll see many more proposals move forward. A few thoughts on how it could be improved

1. Reduce the lane widths to 3.3m - there is no more truck traffic than many narrower roads now that Stoney is open.
2. Increase sidewalk widths to >2m, this should be possible given 1.
3. Implement off peak parking along the curb lane, of particular importance would be from 6pm overnight, though daytime parking would add valuable protection for pedestrians and would be a major gain for retail that currently exists and is designated in the ARP.
4. As a further improvement I would suggest removing the center median and utilizing the space for centre bus lanes, though this would be a longer term item once the demand for the 16th Ave crosstown increases beyond the ability to run in mixed traffic.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
I believe the overall structure of 16th needs to change before we'll see many more proposals move forward. A few thoughts on how it could be improved

1. Reduce the lane widths to 3.3m - there is no more truck traffic than many narrower roads now that Stoney is open.
This is a good point. It bothers me that we build roads wide enough for the largest trucks even though we don't need to on almost all roads. It's a waste of space and encourages sloppy driving habits by other road users through excess speed and struggling when entering the narrower roads of the inner city to conceptualize they actually have to know how big their car is to fit.

On-street parking should definitely be allowed as you mentioned as well.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:15 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
This is a good point. It bothers me that we build roads wide enough for the largest trucks even though we don't need to on almost all roads. It's a waste of space and encourages sloppy driving habits by other road users through excess speed and struggling when entering the narrower roads of the inner city to conceptualize they actually have to know how big their car is to fit.

On-street parking should definitely be allowed as you mentioned as well.
16th was designed before Stoney was open completely in the north, and as it is still technically part of the Trans-Canada highway it was designed to that standard. It is now classed as an Urban Boulevard in the cities Complete Street Guide and I believe it needs to be retrofitted to fit that classification.

I also believe that design has a much more significant affect on traffic speed that the posted limit, in 16th's case this means that traffic moves at 60-70km/h rather than the post 50km/h as is evidenced by the cash cow of automated enforcement on 16th and 10th.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 4:44 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:

2. Increase sidewalk widths to >2m, this should be possible given 1.
3. Implement off peak parking along the curb lane, of particular importance would be from 6pm overnight, though daytime parking would add valuable protection for pedestrians and would be a major gain for retail that currently exists and is designated in the ARP.
4. As a further improvement I would suggest removing the center median and utilizing the space for centre bus lanes, though this would be a longer term item once the demand for the 16th Ave crosstown increases beyond the ability to run in mixed traffic.
It's sad that the road was reconstructed less than 10 years ago and none of those features were included. The city should have at least had the foresight to build segregated BRT lanes down the median.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:24 PM
ARTchitecture

I really don't think they should get red of the median on 16th. I think it is a fantastic opportunity to build actual BRT stations, having said stations on the medians, connected to intersection crosswalks. Eventually, this can be easily converted to a Spadina-style Streetcar line from around SAIT/North Hill to Edmonton Trail. It would connect the NW and NC LRT Lines, and act as a feeder system for residents and workers along/near 16th and people who attend SAIT.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:36 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
It's sad that the road was reconstructed less than 10 years ago and none of those features were included. The city should have at least had the foresight to build segregated BRT lanes down the median.
Quote:
I really don't think they should get red of the median on 16th. I think it is a fantastic opportunity to build actual BRT stations, having said stations on the medians, connected to intersection crosswalks. Eventually, this can be easily converted to a Spadina-style Streetcar line from around SAIT/North Hill to Edmonton Trail. It would connect the NW and NC LRT Lines, and act as a feeder system for residents and workers along/near 16th and people who attend SAIT.
BRT lanes is what I was thinking, but currently there isn't the demand for the service so it may be a few years till they need the dedicated lanes.

Unless the BRT reaches loads similar to that of Centre I would doubt that it'll ever need to upgraded to an LRT type vehicle.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:

Why? To satisfy the demand for the great Banff-Trail-to-Renfrew BRT?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
BRT lanes is what I was thinking, but currently there isn't the demand for the service so it may be a few years till they need the dedicated lanes.

Unless the BRT reaches loads similar to that of Centre I would doubt that it'll ever need to upgraded to an LRT type vehicle.
I always wondered how they quantify the demand for service. The current routes are circuitous and not useful for NE to NWHUB commuters, thousands head downtown to transfer on the LRT, thus demand is low on the 16th Ave Crosstown.

However, if a simple BRT route was installed that stopped at Whitehorn station and 5 or 6 others (Edmonton Trail, Centre, SAIT, U of C, Childrens Hospital, Foothils) the demand could be substantial. 99B-Line in Vancouver substantial.

Ah the joys of induced demand!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:36 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
I always wondered how they quantify the demand for service. The current routes are circuitous and not useful for NE to NWHUB commuters, thousands head downtown to transfer on the LRT, thus demand is low on the 16th Ave Crosstown.

However, if a simple BRT route was installed that stopped at Whitehorn station and 5 or 6 others (Edmonton Trail, Centre, SAIT, U of C, Childrens Hospital, Foothils) the demand could be substantial. 99B-Line in Vancouver substantial.

Ah the joys of induced demand!
This is what I'm getting at RouteAhead has plans for a crosstown BRT (similar to what you describe, I don't recall the exact routing) in mixed traffic with some transit priority measures, once there is sufficient demand on this service it would then be moved into dedicated lanes either on the outside or in the median.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:02 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Why? To satisfy the demand for the great Banff-Trail-to-Renfrew BRT?

Haha, I was think more along the lines of NE -> UofC/Foothills hospital. And possibly this would be apart of a future circle BRT route.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:47 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Haha, I was think more along the lines of NE -> UofC/Foothills hospital. And possibly this would be apart of a future circle BRT route.
Yup as per RouteAhead.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 8:22 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:

It says Center Green - but - where's the green????
Definately a lot better looking than a gas bar and car wash.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm getting at RouteAhead has plans for a crosstown BRT (similar to what you describe, I don't recall the exact routing) in mixed traffic with some transit priority measures, once there is sufficient demand on this service it would then be moved into dedicated lanes either on the outside or in the median.
One thing I saw in several places in Europe was on-board ticket machines on buses. Leaves the driver to drive and allows all door boarding. Changes the BRT service to Proof of Payment system like the LRT. Off board machines are also common and offer the same benefits.

I think there is often not much focus on simple improvements that improve service quality, speed and reliability. All-door boarding and eliminating the antiquated transfer system that requires the operator's time are cheap and could improve the quality of CT bus service substantially.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 12:48 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
One thing I saw in several places in Europe was on-board ticket machines on buses. Leaves the driver to drive and allows all door boarding. Changes the BRT service to Proof of Payment system like the LRT. Off board machines are also common and offer the same benefits.

I think there is often not much focus on simple improvements that improve service quality, speed and reliability. All-door boarding and eliminating the antiquated transfer system that requires the operator's time are cheap and could improve the quality of CT bus service substantially.
I believe off vehicle fare payment has been considered for the BRT's though not implemented yet. I hope they do it.

I think Connect will help with speeding loading times as well as facilitating all door boarding, if readers are placed at all doors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates