HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

    Gilmore Place 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:17 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,481
A community center is being built at Brentwood as part of phase 2 (or 3?) I believe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:43 AM
red-paladin's Avatar
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,370
I sure hope they replace the station roof, as the entire reason it was built cheaply was to be removed and replaced when this development happened.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 6:22 AM
TourOdeon's Avatar
TourOdeon TourOdeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 225
It would be nice to have a T&T Supermarket near Gilmore station

Onni was able to attract T&T as an anchor tenant in its recent development in Richmond called "Riva" near the Richmond Oval, having Copa Cafe wouldnt be such a bad idea either
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:03 AM
vannick vannick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14
Any updates?

Anyone know of this starting soon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 4:12 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannick View Post
Anyone know of this starting soon?
The conceptual master development plan was approved by council a few weeks ago, and a detailed rezoning app for the first phase should follow early in the new year. The first phase will include the tallest tower at 65-storeys, which apparently may wind up being the tallest building in B.C.

Here is the overall concept from the report:

Gateway Precinct:
A strong architectural expression at the corner of Gilmore Avenue and Lougheed Highway is necessary, with a signature residential tower atop larger format anchor retail and grocery uses. Pedestrian access to the station’s concourse level would be provided by an open air linkage from Lougheed Highway. The Gateway Precinct is identified to comprise the first phase of development, which will be sought through the subject rezoning application. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to three high-rise residential apartment buildings between 45 to 65 storeys in height, with four storeys of retail and flex office space at the ground level.

Station Precinct:
An enlarged public transit plaza that improves ground level access to the SkyTrain Station from both Gilmore Avenue and Dawson Street. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to three storeys of retail and flex office space surrounding the station with integration at both the ground level and concourse levels.

Dawson High Street Precinct:
Finer grained pedestrian oriented uses are proposed along the Dawson High Street, with opportunities for outdoor patios and displays. Pedestrian access to the station would be accommodated via a two level open air and covered connection from the proposed Carleton Avenue. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to 4 high-rise residential apartment buildings between 25 and 45 storeys atop a five storey retail and office podium west of Carleton and a four storey retail, office, and residential podium east of Carleton.

Carleton Precinct:
A new north-south commercial fronting promenade is planned to connect residents, employees and commercial patrons between Lougheed Highway
and Dawson Street. Linked by a number of plazas and open spaces, this area is conducive to restaurants and café’s with outdoor patio seating. The intended form of development would be characterized by a single high-rise residential apartment building of between 25 and 35 storeys atop a mid-rise 10 storey retail and office podium.

Commerce Precinct:
The expansion of high-amenity office uses on the site is fundamental to the mixed-use employment based concept. Standalone office space is
proposed that appeals to a range of business types and sizes, from start-ups to corporate headoffices, with the opportunity for businesses to grow on-site as needed. The intended form of development would be characterized by two purpose built office buildings between 15 to 30 storeys atop a four storey retail and flex office podium.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 4:32 PM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
The first phase will include the tallest tower at 65-storeys, which apparently may wind up being the tallest building in B.C.
I eagerly await the inevitable downsizing and the subsequent fountain of tears to be posted here. Perhaps something along the lines of the building in question not living up to its architectural telos or some other officious snobbery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 4:34 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 4,686
That's great. And I'm going to assume that these floor numbers are real total floor numbers since they can no longer omit the 4s?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 5:52 PM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
Make America Great Again!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I eagerly await the inevitable downsizing and the subsequent fountain of tears to be posted here. Perhaps something along the lines of the building in question not living up to its architectural telos or some other officious snobbery.
They should propose 75 stories and then get cut back to 60.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 6:24 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 85 floors above Metro Vancouver
Posts: 6,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
That's great. And I'm going to assume that these floor numbers are real total floor numbers since they can no longer omit the 4s?
That decision was only for City of Vancouver. In Burnaby and Surrey developers can still continue to cheat in floor numbering.

But even then Brentwood is going to be incredible. The skyline will be tall and extend to a wide area. It will look amazing from Highway 1 and will rival Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 6:36 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 4,686
No Burnaby did too (I'm pretty sure I read that)

Last edited by osirisboy; Dec 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 7:30 PM
TourOdeon's Avatar
TourOdeon TourOdeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 225
Downtown Vancouver should feel ashamed if the tallest tower in the region is by Gilmore station LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 10:48 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 2,097
Burnaby did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbailey View Post
Positive. Burnaby actually started doing this before Vancouver.

I do strata plans. Polygon actually informed of this change when I was doing their midori tower a few months ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 11:01 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
The conceptual master development plan was approved by council a few weeks ago, and a detailed rezoning app for the first phase should follow early in the new year. The first phase will include the tallest tower at 65-storeys, which apparently may wind up being the tallest building in B.C.

Here is the overall concept from the report:

Gateway Precinct:
A strong architectural expression at the corner of Gilmore Avenue and Lougheed Highway is necessary, with a signature residential tower atop larger format anchor retail and grocery uses. Pedestrian access to the station’s concourse level would be provided by an open air linkage from Lougheed Highway. The Gateway Precinct is identified to comprise the first phase of development, which will be sought through the subject rezoning application. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to three high-rise residential apartment buildings between 45 to 65 storeys in height, with four storeys of retail and flex office space at the ground level.

Station Precinct:
An enlarged public transit plaza that improves ground level access to the SkyTrain Station from both Gilmore Avenue and Dawson Street. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to three storeys of retail and flex office space surrounding the station with integration at both the ground level and concourse levels.

Dawson High Street Precinct:
Finer grained pedestrian oriented uses are proposed along the Dawson High Street, with opportunities for outdoor patios and displays. Pedestrian access to the station would be accommodated via a two level open air and covered connection from the proposed Carleton Avenue. The intended form of development would be characterized by up to 4 high-rise residential apartment buildings between 25 and 45 storeys atop a five storey retail and office podium west of Carleton and a four storey retail, office, and residential podium east of Carleton.

Carleton Precinct:
A new north-south commercial fronting promenade is planned to connect residents, employees and commercial patrons between Lougheed Highway
and Dawson Street. Linked by a number of plazas and open spaces, this area is conducive to restaurants and café’s with outdoor patio seating. The intended form of development would be characterized by a single high-rise residential apartment building of between 25 and 35 storeys atop a mid-rise 10 storey retail and office podium.

Commerce Precinct:
The expansion of high-amenity office uses on the site is fundamental to the mixed-use employment based concept. Standalone office space is
proposed that appeals to a range of business types and sizes, from start-ups to corporate headoffices, with the opportunity for businesses to grow on-site as needed. The intended form of development would be characterized by two purpose built office buildings between 15 to 30 storeys atop a four storey retail and flex office podium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
Downtown Vancouver should feel ashamed if the tallest tower in the region is by Gilmore station LOL

That sounds like modern sustainable urban planning, something Vancouver planners need to learn from.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:20 AM
squeezied's Avatar
squeezied squeezied is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
That sounds like modern sustainable urban planning, something Vancouver planners need to learn from.
Why do you always repeatedly blurt out inane comments? Yes we get it, you like tall buildings. And you're probably thinking what a shame the Olympic Village (or any other neighbourhood) didn't turn out to have 65 story buildings... and thank goodness it didn't.

Yes Gilmore redevelopment is great. Modern sustainable urban planning? Yep. But saying this is something Vancouver needs to learn from is just BS. There are a number of areas in Vancouver (current and future) that are similar to Gilmore redevelopment that include mixed uses: high-rise residential, office, transit plaza, high street and retail. Marine Gateway, Oakridge, Langara Gardens, etc. They just don't have 60+ story buildings, and honestly, so what? Doesn't make these neighbourhoods inferior to Gilmore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:47 PM
cairnstone cairnstone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 373
Was at the depot the other day and noticed the added an off leash dog park to the proposed site. So does burnaby reduce taxes on land like Vancouver does for the organic gardens. I can't wait to hear all the dog walkers complain when the shovels hit the ground
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:51 PM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
Downtown Vancouver should feel ashamed if the tallest tower in the region is by Gilmore station LOL
The entire City of Vancouver should feel ashamed. One the one hand, they choke the potential out of downtown, yet are thinking of adding 35 floor buildings in an area surrounded by 2 story houses. Having your tallest building in the suburbs, is unprecedented in North America, defies logic, and is stupid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:42 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26,463
Does anyone know whether the soil conditions at Gilmore Station (i.e. Still Creek swamp area) would pose particularly difficult (and economically expensive) challenges to building a 65 storey tower (versus a 50 storey tower)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:33 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
Why do you always repeatedly blurt out inane comments? Yes we get it, you like tall buildings. And you're probably thinking what a shame the Olympic Village (or any other neighbourhood) didn't turn out to have 65 story buildings... and thank goodness it didn't.

Yes Gilmore redevelopment is great. Modern sustainable urban planning? Yep. But saying this is something Vancouver needs to learn from is just BS. There are a number of areas in Vancouver (current and future) that are similar to Gilmore redevelopment that include mixed uses: high-rise residential, office, transit plaza, high street and retail. Marine Gateway, Oakridge, Langara Gardens, etc. They just don't have 60+ story buildings, and honestly, so what? Doesn't make these neighbourhoods inferior to Gilmore.
I'm not "blurting out", I'm just supporting the comments made by many formers here, so you don't really need to target just me. Burnaby has made way more strides in urban planning that you can possibly imagine. The entire Brentwood neighbourhood would be a very self-contained community in a few years' time, nothing that any of the new vancouver developments can even come close to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:39 PM
squeezied's Avatar
squeezied squeezied is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I'm not "blurting out", I'm just supporting the comments made by many formers here, so you don't really need to target just me.
Sorry that you feel offended. But when you repeatedly (unlike other forumers) post ridiculous comments I'm going to call you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Burnaby has made way more strides in urban planning that you can possibly imagine. The entire Brentwood neighbourhood would be a very self-contained community in a few years' time, nothing that any of the new vancouver developments can even come close to.
That's just BS. How many large underutilized sites, similar in scale to Gilmore, around transit stations does Vancouver have? Not many. Any new development due to the size of the site can't be "self-contained". And that doesn't matter when there are amenities nearby and the neighbourhood is well integrated and connected with each other. The sites that are large enough such as Oakridge and Marine Gateway have mixed uses that you apparently aren't aware of.

You can't seem to acknowledge the finer grained and compact communities in Vancouver and the impracticalities of developing grand developments within these neighbourhoods. Burnaby on the other hand has many large underutilized sites in areas that can be arguably described as suburban wasteland. This is a blank canvas for Burnaby so they have the luxury of building large-scale developments without having to worry about how it implements into the existing community.

Last edited by squeezied; Dec 15, 2015 at 2:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:25 PM
HomeBoy HomeBoy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Does anyone know whether the soil conditions at Gilmore Station (i.e. Still Creek swamp area) would pose particularly difficult (and economically expensive) challenges to building a 65 storey tower (versus a 50 storey tower)?
The soil conditions around the Still Creek area aren't very good. The roadway along Gilmore and Henning near the Home Depot keeps sinking, except for the bridges. The area is also subject to flooding.

I know the parking lot around the McDonalds at Willingdon and Still Creek keeps sinking, as they have had to add stairs to the entrance. When it first opened, there were no stairs to the entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.