HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I don't live at Park Avenue (I'm in Burnaby). A lot of buildings have rental restrictions and they prob don't even have to make any changes to the strata rules to block B&B.
Indeed. Just reported to my Strata of a renter in Ultra opening up the landlord's unit to strangers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Indeed. Just reported to my Strata of a renter in Ultra opening up the landlord's unit to strangers.
Good job.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:36 PM

Kinda cool. The owners are donating $22,000 from the sale of residential units here and then $20,000 per year from hotel books

Surrey Now Leader article

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

Tower model looks okay. If any representation of the real thing, the north and south facade of the tower isn't all that appealing to look at, but serves as a good infill development.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
Kinda cool. The owners are donating $22,000 from the sale of residential units here and then $20,000 per year from hotel books

Surrey Now Leader article
Given the prices they’re charging for the units, the Viranis’ can afford to be generous donors. Sorry about the cynicism.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokim99 View Post
do you think even the studios (~350 sq) are pretty good floor plans ?
the studio plan A you mentioned 350sq is lowest priced in the whole building, they are the most regularly shaped units, no wasted hallway spaces or slanted wall, etc. so most efficient space - Plan F 1 bed is nice but price getting up there - smallest 1 bedroom in the building 561 sq ft for $472k I believe they are taking appointments this weekend right? Has anybody attended? I tend to agree with @Cypherus tho given how quickly The Hub sold out, this one with much fewer units will probably sell out quickly too, it's only 100 something odd units, ... but with Surrey population set to overtake Vancouver population, I do see much potential in the long term growth of Surrey. I am disappointed with the LRT decision to move forward though ... that's another whole story

Last edited by Gummozebra; Jun 17, 2018 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Given the prices they’re charging for the units, the Viranis’ can afford to be generous donors. Sorry about the cynicism.
No, I agree, I like some of the 2 BR layouts and we registered to have a look but, after seeing what they were asking, backed off. I could be wrong but I don't think this project will sell out as fast as others in the area.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
No, I agree, I like some of the 2 BR layouts and we registered to have a look but, after seeing what they were asking, backed off. I could be wrong but I don't think this project will sell out as fast as others in the area.
It should sell okay because presales attract investors and speculators from all over the region, and presales avoid the foreign buyers' tax and speculation tax.

The prices are steep for Surrey, but they are priced based on demand. Hub sold out with similar prices for one bedrooms going up to $550K in the upper floors. When one bedrooms in downtown Vancouver creeping up to $1 million, Surrey is still a bargain relatively speaking for house rich locals and foreign buyers.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Tower model looks okay. If any representation of the real thing, the north and south facade of the tower isn't all that appealing to look at, but serves as a good infill development.
I agree, the model isn't representative of the photo render in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
It should sell okay because presales attract investors and speculators from all over the region, and presales avoid the foreign buyers' tax and speculation tax.

The prices are steep for Surrey, but they are priced based on demand. Hub sold out with similar prices for one bedrooms going up to $550K in the upper floors. When one bedrooms in downtown Vancouver creeping up to $1 million, Surrey is still a bargain relatively speaking for house rich locals and foreign buyers.
It's absolutely possible that the government could introduce new law overnight that will apply foreign buyers' tax even during presale stage though, right? At least that could cool down the overseas flippers driving up costs. I did read somewhere tho that overseas buyers represent a very low % of buyers (overall speaking, in the property market) so huge majority of buyers indeed are still locals looking to secure their homes. In fact for The Hub phase 1 and 2 I got below email from their sales team (I didn't buy)

697 of 738 homes were purchased by local residents
1 in 4 are first time home buyers
65% live within 20km
30% came from a Vancouver address

So if that's the case it still seems like this is simple supply and demand - but absolutely by no means am I an expert.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
The Viranis—the family behind the Avani development, as anybody who’s spent any time following real estate in West Vancouver probably already knows—are realtors of luxury real estate, mostly in West Vancouver. Avani certainly is expensive by Surrey standards, but who knows, maybe it’ll set a new standard for quality in Surrey Central.
Avani Centre pricing is comparable to other projects like The Hub, etc. My biggest concern is this developer is not well known, and in fact their only projects seem to be renovation of a Residence Marriot Inn in Phoenix, Arizona, and the renovation of the Holiday Inn Express in Surrey (which is also their head office per their website, www.avaniinvestmentgroup.com). If that is so, they are pricing their projects to the same price, if not higher, than well established, experienced builders like PCI, Concord, Bosa, etc. That, right now, remains by top concern. @Blease mentioned they were experienced realtors of luxury real estate - but that experience (and their renovation experience) may not be enough for handling a project of this scale and calibre. So they may set a bar for high quality, but they may fail spectacularly. Not to be a bummer but yea, even their model of the building is looking very very different from their marketing material.
Really hoping tho this building can live up to the hype and boost Surrey's place.
I mean we are looking at completion earliest 2022 in my estimation most likely later, so this pricing could seem alright by ... 2022

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummozebra View Post
It's absolutely possible that the government could introduce new law overnight that will apply foreign buyers' tax even during presale stage though, right? At least that could cool down the overseas flippers driving up costs. I did read somewhere tho that overseas buyers represent a very low % of buyers (overall speaking, in the property market) so huge majority of buyers indeed are still locals looking to secure their homes. In fact for The Hub phase 1 and 2 I got below email from their sales team (I didn't buy)

697 of 738 homes were purchased by local residents
1 in 4 are first time home buyers
65% live within 20km
30% came from a Vancouver address

So if that's the case it still seems like this is simple supply and demand - but absolutely by no means am I an expert.
Call me cynical, but I bet a large number of these "local buyers" are bankrolled with offshore money.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Call me cynical, but I bet a large number of these "local buyers" are bankrolled with offshore money.
My thoughts exactly when I first read the email awhile back

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Avani Centre pricing is comparable to other projects like The Hub, etc. My biggest concern is this developer is not well known, and in fact their only projects seem to be renovation of a Residence Marriot Inn in Phoenix, Arizona, and the renovation of the Holiday Inn Express in Surrey (which is also their head office per their website, www.avaniinvestmentgroup.com). If that is so, they are pricing their projects to the same price, if not higher, than well established, experienced builders like PCI, Concord, Bosa, etc. That, right now, remains by top concern. @Blease mentioned they were experienced realtors of luxury real estate - but that experience (and their renovation experience) may not be enough for handling a project of this scale and calibre. So they may set a bar for high quality, but they may fail spectacularly. Not to be a bummer but yea, even their model of the building is looking very very different from their marketing material.
Really hoping tho this building can live up to the hype and boost Surrey's place.
I mean we are looking at completion earliest 2022 in my estimation most likely later, so this pricing could seem alright by ... 2022

Hmm understand your concern. However , one thing to note is that.. Hilton hotel will be coming to this tower right ? do you think that Hilton would commit to a project if they thought that developer was going to crap out ? I would also say this is probably higher quality building then HUB because this building will come with A/C in all units , swimming pool , wine bar, etc. while HUB does not.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Hmm understand your concern. However , one thing to note is that.. Hilton hotel will be coming to this tower right ? do you think that Hilton would commit to a project if they thought that developer was going to crap out ? I would also say this is probably higher quality building then HUB because this building will come with A/C in all units , swimming pool , wine bar, etc. while HUB does not.
Interesting I have not read anywhere about this building having AC, can you provide the source? It would be nice for the city of Surrey if this building's quality surpasses that of the PCI and Bosa developments

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting I have not read anywhere about this building having AC, can you provide the source? It would be nice for the city of Surrey if this building's quality surpasses that of the PCI and Bosa developments
http://nexthome.yp.ca/news/avani-cen...urrey/1258404/

Appealing Lifestyle

From its uber-modern architecture to its meticulously crafted, air-conditioned interiors, Avani is designed to elevate your lifestyle.

Kitchens, always the heart of a home, are designed to inspire culinary adventures with sophisticated stone and marble look, quartz countertops, duo-tone European cabinetry, a gas range, and a stunning island with waterfall finishes and cosy eating bars.

High-performance laminate flooring in latte or twilight oak effortlessly stands up to the demands of entertaining and day-to-day family life. Of course, Avani balconies are extra spacious and all are fully covered – perfect for bringing the outdoors in throughout the year because al fresco is just part of the way we live here on the West Coast.

Enviable Amenities

Exclusive to homeowners is the eighth-level rooftop terrace. Here you can socialize over a sit-down barbecue feast, sip wine by the fireside, practice your sun salutations on the outdoor yoga platform or play with Fido in the enclosed dog park. Inside on the same level there’s also a spacious entertainment lounge with kitchen and billiards perfect for indoor parties, and a video gaming room where you can challenge others to a friendly competition.

An exciting bonus is Avani’s access to the hotel’s lavish services and features on an a-la-carte basis – meaning you only pay for the extras you want to use. A spa-inspired pool and fitness areas are only the beginning, so you really need to check it out for yourself.

Avani Centre will offer a broad selection of homes ranging from studios to three-bedroom floorplans, as well as eight two-level city homes. Residences and hotel each have their own exclusive lobby and private, secure parking.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
http://nexthome.yp.ca/news/avani-cen...urrey/1258404/

Appealing Lifestyle

From its uber-modern architecture to its meticulously crafted, air-conditioned interiors, Avani is designed to elevate your lifestyle.

Kitchens, always the heart of a home, are designed to inspire culinary adventures with sophisticated stone and marble look, quartz countertops, duo-tone European cabinetry, a gas range, and a stunning island with waterfall finishes and cosy eating bars.

High-performance laminate flooring in latte or twilight oak effortlessly stands up to the demands of entertaining and day-to-day family life. Of course, Avani balconies are extra spacious and all are fully covered – perfect for bringing the outdoors in throughout the year because al fresco is just part of the way we live here on the West Coast.

Enviable Amenities

Exclusive to homeowners is the eighth-level rooftop terrace. Here you can socialize over a sit-down barbecue feast, sip wine by the fireside, practice your sun salutations on the outdoor yoga platform or play with Fido in the enclosed dog park. Inside on the same level there’s also a spacious entertainment lounge with kitchen and billiards perfect for indoor parties, and a video gaming room where you can challenge others to a friendly competition.

You've got to question some of that promotional material. We were given the same spiel by Concord before we bought at P.A. "From the rooftop garden terrace, sip a glass of wine while watching the sunset or sip a coffee while it rises" isn't possible after strata council makes the rules that bans any alcohol there and restricts access to between 9:00 AM and 10:00 PM. and I haven't been to any indoor parties that had to be over at 10:00PM either. A lot of artistic licence in other amenity areas as well.
Still, this is a nice building to live in overall.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:22 PM

I purchased a unit on this project and wrote a contract last week. I went to drop off the cheque yesterday and was told that all the units has been allocated and they are saying it is pretty much "sold out".

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I purchased a unit on this project and wrote a contract last week. I went to drop off the cheque yesterday and was told that all the units has been allocated and they are saying it is pretty much "sold out".
Wow!! I guess they don't need to finish building their presentation center then.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Wow!! I guess they don't need to finish building their presentation center then.
They still said they would just so that people can come and check out the interior, finishing, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley