HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:21 PM

John Barton Professional Centre | ? | 5 fl | Proposed

Quote:
The John Barton Professional Center will be a 4 (looks like 5 to me) storey building with several offices for the medical professional, and main floor retail/pharmaceutical opportunities.
http://jbii.ca/projects/professional-center/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Now the Johns can go to John Barton to check up on any STI.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:42 PM

Actually it looks like 6 floors with the penthouse.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:55 PM
Hamilton Historian

Goodbyyyye hamiltons last strip club...

I must say though.. excellent use of the land though.. *applauses*

Although I find it interesting hamilton is building new office buildings when EXISTING office buildings downtown remain vacant..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:19 PM
Hammer'd

Would have been nice to see the existing building repurposed but I'd say this is still a positive for the area and fits in well with the hospital down the street.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:39 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Would have been nice to see the existing building repurposed but I'd say this is still a positive for the area and fits in well with the hospital down the street.
You can pretty that building up but you'll never wash the stench of skank out of it

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 9:50 PM
Ham-burgher

This Spec piece notes the original hotel building will now be restored. No details on the new bits yet.

Restored Hanrahan’s part of Barton renaissance
More people are realizing that treating old buildings as disposable is bad for the environment

by Sarah Sheehan
Hamilton Spectator
February 12, 2020

A yellow waste chute pokes out of a third-storey window on Catharine at Barton. There's work underway at the former Hamilton Strip, but perhaps not the kind you'd expect.

When the Strip closed, late last summer, it was commonly understood that the old Hanrahan's Hotel would be demolished. Developer John Barton Investments Inc. saw the property as a teardown, and local news media focused on the closing of the city's last strip club. Nearby residents braced themselves for the coming construction.

Cross to the north side of Barton, look past the cheap main-floor cladding and faded pink signage, and the club's former self comes into view: the fine establishment of hotelier Thomas A. Hanrahan. Reporters were saying the hotel was Edwardian — circa 1908 — but the city's heritage mapping tool gave the date as 1890. Which was it?

I met with Paul Wilson for his column. In the spring, when the city was preparing to approve JBII's plans for the site, I had started looking into Hanrahan's and its Victorian predecessor, the Mechanics' Hotel, but he was the first person to show any interest in the history. We walked around the building, admiring the brickwork. The print headline asked, "Should we demo this dive?"

Wilson was not optimistic. But family members Laura Hanrahan and Peter Duffus got in touch with their stories, and I spent time at the archives, finding material on their Hamilton forebears and Billie Holiday — just one of the greats to play the old tavern. In November, I addressed the Municipal Heritage Committee and published my first opinion piece in this paper. I became the woman who wanted to save the strip club.

Konrad Sit is a University of Toronto business grad; his family has owned the former Hanrahan's since the late 1980s. By the time we spoke, JBII's earlier plans were already on hold: the project had seen what he called a "staffing changeup." This winter, inspired by Bill Curran's concept drawing, a friend of Sit's signed on as the new tenant. The hotel will be restored, not demolished.

"I think this is the best use of the property," Sit told me, adding that he sees the new space as an opportunity "to gather all the things that are great about Hamilton."

Curran agrees. "We're thrilled to see the legendary Hanrahan's Hotel set for adaptive reuse," he said, noting that the building's scale made it "catalytic" for Barton East. Thier + Curran is no stranger to former strip clubs, having converted what used to be Maxim's, on the Gore, into Mills Hardware. As the firm behind the refurbished homes of Steeltown Garage, Mosaic, and now Meanwhile Wine Bar, "We know Barton is happening, and we're really excited to contribute at Hanrahan's. It's a good news story," he said. "This development will reinforce the extension of James Street onto Barton."

full article here

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:43 PM

They are supposed to be presenting at the BNA. I'll be there and report back.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:28 AM

To summarize:

Currently asbestos is being removed from the building. The owner indicated that he wants the new use to be community based and the new tenant is planning for a community based space. The new tenant will be taking the entire building and will be releasing their plan in March with expected completion end of summer.

The townhouse complex will not be moving forward and neither will the medical centre. There apparently is not currently enough water pressure to sustain the development of townhouses, though he said there may be future development once water pressure is up. For the time being, they are going to clean the site, do some landscaping and allow it to be reopened to the public.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

they're gonna have to give the outside a good sodablasting for sure as it's understandably filthy.

Mind you, there is some filth even sodablasting will never remove

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Mind you, there is some filth even sodablasting will never remove
Not quite the "filth" you may be referring to, but related

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/66745751-8...jAwXe8Se_.copy

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:12 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Not quite the "filth" you may be referring to, but related

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/66745751-8...jAwXe8Se_.copy
oh definitely "related"

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 11:09 PM

God the Spec's videos are the worst. It's like they hired a grade 9 intern for them. Interesting stuff none the less.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton