HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:18 AM

During my 9 years in here, Canada's population has grown from 33.5M to almost 39M!! That is among the highest population growth of all developed nations.

With such numbers, it is no wonder that housing is in high demand and high housing prices are a direct result of our blind faith in growth. My take on it is that our inefficient governments haven't been able to bring economic growth any other way than growing the population, which is making our cities crowded places and lowering the standard of living for everyone.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 27, 2021 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
During my 9 years in here, Canada's population has grown from 33.5M to almost 39M!! That is among the highest population growth among all developed nations.

With such numbers, it is no wonder that housing is in high demand and high housing prices are a direct result of our blind faith in growth. My take on it is that our inefficient governments haven't been able to bring economic growth any other way than growing the population, which is making our cities crowded places and lowering the standard of living for everyone.
Yes! This is exactly what it is.

Its forced growth - literally. No planning on how to accommodate, no consideration for standard of living, no consideration for existing populations. No understanding on how this shapes the country its cohesion, its livability, its sustainability. Its all about lip service, and no follow through.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:31 AM

Capitalism only 'works' with perpetual growth. Nature of the beast. Just look at the stock market, recent shenanigans excluded - if a company's not growing, nobody's buying.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Capitalism only 'works' with perpetual growth. Nature of the beast. Just look at the stock market, recent shenanigans excluded - if a company's not growing, nobody's buying.
I understand that. But manage that growth. Its like the Feds are clearly messaging they plan to bring 400,000+ annually. Fine.

But let there be some basic coordination with regions to enact smart growth policies.

I'm not against the concept, I'm against the awful management of the process that creates negative results for newcomers and locals alike.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:30 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post

But let there be some basic coordination with regions to enact smart growth policies.
on the provincial level, at the least Quebec and Saskatchewan and Atlantic region have their own projects and policies.

On the federal level, there is work to get immigrants specifically into smaller, rural and northern communities which include in this province Vernon and the entire Kootenays.

Although I would love to live in Vernon or the Kootenays, I would not move to Canada if I had to live in Thunder Bay or Brandon MB.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:33 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
During my 9 years in here, Canada's population has grown from 33.5M to almost 39M!! That is among the highest population growth of all developed nations.

Just wait. baby boomers are 30% of Canada and they are already approaching mid 70's. Things are going to get very expensive and awkward in about 10 years.

This 350K new immigrants a year is just not going to be enough

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Not sure if this is the best thread to post this in, but if I were a Vancouver landlord, I'd be lawyering up. Vancouver is apparently looking to ape the grand Berlin experiment.

https://www.dw.com/en/berlins-revolu...lop/a-56664706

And for the record, I'm a renter and I think this kind of program is insane. I understand how detrimental legislation like this can be when it comes to new rental supply and the condition of the existing rental supply.
I suspect this is what it was in regards to:

BC NDP wants to ban residential rent hikes for all of 2021
BY DENISE WONG
Posted Mar 1, 2021 1:50 pm

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The BC NDP government is hoping to extend the rent freeze to the end of this December.

The effort is based on legislation tabled Monday by Attorney General David Eby, and comes just ahead of the end of the latest extension expiring.

When the rent freeze first went into effect in March 2020, it was supposed to expire last December. It was later extended to July, 2021.

The province also wants to cap future rent increases to inflation and address illegal renovictions.

“The changes mean no more tenants will face eviction notices for phoney renovations that were never going to happen,” said Spencer Chandra Herbert, MLA for Vancouver West-End, on behalf of Eby in a statement....

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/03...al-rent-hikes/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics