HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:47 PM
Registered Loser

I'm moving to Ottawa and I need help!

I'm likely moving to Ottawa in May with the girlfriend and we need a place to rent for the summer (until the end of August). We don't know the neighbourhoods or city that well, although I've been there twice. We need to be as inexpensive as possible and not too far from Confederation Heights where she'll be working. I don't have a job yet but I assume I'll end up downtown (or what other major employment centres are there?).

Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and cafes. It'd be nice to be able to walk to work too although I'll have my car and I'll probably invest in a bike. I guess that's another thing, I'll need a place to park my car for free so keep that in mind when recommending neighbourhoods.

So: what neighbourhoods are cheap but well located between downtown and Confederation Heights with all the amenities?

How good is the transit?

Last edited by touraccuracy; Mar 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
I'm likely moving to Ottawa in May with the girlfriend and we need a place to rent for the summer (until the end of August). We don't know the neighbourhoods or city that well, although I've been there twice. We need to be as inexpensive as possible and not too far from Confederation Heights where she'll be working. I don't have a job yet but I assume I'll end up downtown (or what other major employment centres are there?).

Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and cafes. It'd be nice to be able to walk to work too although I'll have my car and I'll probably invest in a bike. I guess that's another thing, I'll need a place to park my car for free so keep that in mind when recommending neighbourhoods.

So: what neighbourhoods are cheap but well located between downtown and Confederation Heights with all the ammenities?

How good is the transit?
For the May to August period your best bet will be a summer sublet from a student at U of O or Carleton. There will probably be many to choose from and therefore have negotiation power etc...

Most landlords in Ottawa want 12 month leases with is a problem for you and a problem for many students. Thus the sublet idea.

Confederation Heights is along a few major transit lines as it is one of the bigger federal employment areas. It is decently easy to get to so that will help widen your search box.

Confederation heights is also not too far from Carleton U so some of the student areas would not be too far away. There may also be some options in the apartment buildings along Riverside Drive (which have the transitway at their door)

Transit quality depends largely on where you are and where you are going. Some areas (such as along the transitway or major routes) it is exceptionally good. Other parts of the city (like industrial parks) it terrible and there is areas where is good but not exceptional. It is mostly a bus-based system with a BRT and one small train route. As for employment areas, there are a number outside of downtown - including some that are far out in the suburbs. It depends on among other things what type of work you are doing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:20 PM

I was going to say that Old Ottawa South (just east of the Carleton campus) would be a good bet, as it has good amenities. To go to Confederation Heights, depending on where you are in the neighbourhood, there are bus connections to Billings Bridge or the O-Train on the Carleton Campus.

Anywhere on the O-Train line gives good access to Confederation Heights, which would include all of Little Italy along Preston St. (short on a grocery store, but really good for bars and restaurants) and the parts of Chinatown and Hintonburg that flank the O-Train line. Not sure on what kind of a lease arrangements are likely there. Getting parking shouldn't be an issue in any of those neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:19 PM

My suggestion is the Mooney's Bay area. I don't know whether short-term rental accomodation is available there but certainly their is rental accomodation. The benefit is that it is immediately adjacent to Confederation Heights. There is good bus service both to Confederation Heights and downtown. You are right next to Mooney's Bay Beach and all the bike trails that follow the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal. There is also a local grocery store, a bank and a few other shops within walking distance. It seems to be a nice enough neighbourhood, with a mix of high rise, low rise and single family homes. I have a friend and a cousin that live in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 10:41 PM

Based on what you've said, I'd look in the area bounded by Bronson to the East, Albert St on the North, and Carling to the south. You'll be central enough to be able to walk/bike to work in the core, the O-Train provides good transit to Confederation Heights, and it's generally an affordable area. Also, pad mapper is a good little tool for apt. hunting: http://www.padmapper.com/search/apar...ntario/ottawa/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:29 AM

Other areas to consider:

* Parkwood Hills (near Merivale and Meadowlands) - near extensive shopping, one bus to work and to downtown, lacking in entertainment though

* Billings Bridge area - lots of shopping and entertainment in all directions, close to recreation, walkable to work, extensive transit <--- My first choice

* Centretown - near downtown, lots of choices and wide transit options, crime rate could be an issue

Bus routes directly to Confederation:

4 - serves Carleton University and Bronson Avenue, but requires walking to some buildings

87 - serves Hunt Club community (expensive), Mooney's Bay (mixed) then onto the Transitway to downtown

111 - serves Parkwood Hills and Hog's Back

118 - serves Baseline Road - best choice there is near Algonquin College

140 - alternate route in Mooney's Bay during rush hour (not very reliable)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:07 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Other areas to consider:

* Parkwood Hills (near Merivale and Meadowlands) - near extensive shopping, one bus to work and to downtown, lacking in entertainment though

* Billings Bridge area - lots of shopping and entertainment in all directions, close to recreation, walkable to work, extensive transit <--- My first choice

* Centretown - near downtown, lots of choices and wide transit options, crime rate could be an issue

4 - serves Carleton University and Bronson Avenue, but requires walking to some buildings

87 - serves Hunt Club community (expensive), Mooney's Bay (mixed) then onto the Transitway to downtown

Billings Bridge (either the apartment towers right at Bank and Riverside, or the neighbourhood in behind, which is actually called Heron Park) is a good suggestion.

But Parkwood Hills being near extensive shopping? Yes it is, but there is not a single store there I would walk to - that stretch of Merivale is the epitome of car-centric planning.

And crime rate being a concern in Centretown? Give me a break.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Other areas to consider:

Crime in Centretown?! Crime in Ottawa?! Cmon. You'll find most of the crime on the transitway in the suburbs lol.

Sandy Hill is your best option!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:47 PM

Maybe I am wrong, but what is the reputation of the apartment buildings nearest Billings Bridge? I always had the impression that there were a lot of welfare recipients living there. The ones south of the Transitway along or near Bank Street seem nicer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but what is the reputation of the apartment buildings nearest Billings Bridge? I always had the impression that there were a lot of welfare recipients living there. The ones south of the Transitway along or near Bank Street seem nicer.
The ones along the Transitway vary substantially by building. I know at least one has a few issues. Some of the others are pretty darn nice.

That said, I can think of very few places in Ottawa that I would be completely unwilling to consider living for a short-term 4 month period with a budget in mind.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
The ones along the Transitway vary substantially by building. I know at least one has a few issues. Some of the others are pretty darn nice.

That said, I can think of very few places in Ottawa that I would be completely unwilling to consider living for a short-term 4 month period with a budget in mind.
But there are a few. I knew someone living on disability who lived in one of the apartments next to Elmvale Shopping Centre (not by choice) and she told me of many scary stories.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:15 PM

^ I used to live in this area and never ran into a problem, even late at night.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ I used to live in this area and never ran into a problem, even late at night.
Did you live in those buildings? I wasn't suggesting that Elmvale Acres is a scary area. It is not.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post

Bell St. Towers. 'nuff said

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Bell St. Towers. 'nuff said
I agree. What I meant is it is (mostly) a building by building basis.

There, stuff like 1240 and 1244 Donald, there is some other no go's too. I am not saying there is none, but most places would probably be fine enough for a short term stint.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 PM

The only thing I would worry about in Centretown would be the price. Any apartments here will probably be near the top of a budget unless you find a good deal on a summer sublet (someone who wants to get at least something and not have it sit empty and still paying for it). If you're will to spend a bit more to be within walking distance to everything you'd every want and close to transit... this is the place!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Did you live in those buildings? I wasn't suggesting that Elmvale Acres is a scary area. It is not.
That's what I thought you were saying, I didn't read the rest... I was not living in those buildings but did take a picture from the roof (I know it's not related to the topic, anyways)

I would suggest Centretown. The Glebe is hype and more expensive, Centretown has the O-Train not too far away, is close to downtown, cheaper, and has a soul that many other neighbourhoods lack.

Last edited by le calmar; Mar 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Centretown has the O-Train not too far away
what?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:27 PM

Did I sleep through 2006 to 2010 and the O-Train actually did get extended into Centretown?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Did I sleep through 2006 to 2010 and the O-Train actually did get extended into Centretown?
No, but a direct bus route exists to a large part of it (Route 4).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion