HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:26 PM

Blumenauer Pedestrian Bridge | Complete

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...n-in-2021.html

Portland transportation leaders and representatives from inner eastside neighborhoods on Thursday celebrated the groundbreaking of a long-awaited bike and pedestrian bridge spanning Interstate 84.

The project, which has been discussed for decades, is now officially called the Congressman Earl Blumenauer Bike and Pedestrian Bridge. The $13.7 million carless structure will connect the Lloyd and Central Eastside Industrial districts at Northeast 7th Avenue. Crews will soon start working on the 475-foot-bridge and construction is expected to wrap up in early 2021.

Last edited by dubu; Dec 3, 2019 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:11 AM

True fact: this was my project in, I believe, 2007 ('09?) when I took the PBOT/PSU "Traffic & Transportation" class. My class partner and I were chosen to present it to Sam Adams at the end of the semester and it was featured on Chris Smith's blog. That was back in the days when I was excited about bicycle advocacy, back when I was drinking the city's "10-minute-neighborhood" kool-aid and occasionally had optimistic thoughts about the future; now, like so many others, I ride only occasionally, especially with it not feeling particularly safe karting my 4-yr-old around. These days I just hop in the car and drive toward the cliff that awaits us all.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:37 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
True fact: this was my project in, I believe, 2007 ('09?) when I took the PBOT/PSU "Traffic & Transportation" class. My class partner and I were chosen to present it to Sam Adams at the end of the semester and it was featured on Chris Smith's blog. That was back in the days when I was excited about bicycle advocacy, back when I was drinking the city's "10-minute-neighborhood" kool-aid and occasionally had optimistic thoughts about the future; now, like so many others, I ride only occasionally, especially with it not feeling particularly safe karting my 4-yr-old around. These days I just hop in the car and drive toward the cliff that awaits us all.
Just think, while biking might not be beneficial for you right now with a toddler, which as a dad of a 2.5yr old toddler, I fully understand. There is someone out there without a kid in tow that will benefit from this greatly, and there is still future you that might want to return to biking when commuting.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:14 PM

now there just needs to be a elevated bike path. thats not the best area to bike, probably the area with the most bike's though.

a long time ago i was saying why not have a streetcar bridge there (like above) instead of having the streetcar go on 99e. ive got to find the thread, its probably real cringe from my early 20's. it was city-data.

Last edited by dubu; Dec 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:03 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
now there just needs to be a elevated bike path. thats not the best area to bike, probably the area with the most bike's though.

a long time ago i was saying why not have a streetcar bridge there (like above) instead of having the streetcar go on 99e. ive got to find the thread, its probably real cringe from my early 20's. it was city-data.
Would love to see some more forum posts from the 20’s. Suckers didn’t even know how bad the Great Depression was going to be.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Would love to see some more forum posts from the 20’s. Suckers didn’t even know how bad the Great Depression was going to be.
there might be a depression in the 2020's in oregon if there is a earthquake.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 12:20 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post

I have always thought it would have made more sense running the streetcar and have all the development happen along 7th. That street would have made a better urban corridor to run a streetcar through without having to deal with the increased traffic on 99E, though I will say, I have liked seeing all the new buildings going up along 99E.

Oh man, I forgot about city-data, I got permanently banned from there for upsetting some really far right wing mods. That site is definitely a dumpster, though I imagine it is much worse these days.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 4:44 PM

bend oregon is getting a pedestrian bridge over a highway soon, im hoping because i would use it a lot. i was wondering if this bridge was done and it will be about a year.

Blumenauer Bridge still not ready for installation as city says it’ll be ‘a few more weeks’

If all went according to plan, we’d already be pedaling across a new carfree bridge over I-84 on 7th Avenue. But the latest update from the City of Portland is that it won’t be slid into place for at least a few more weeks. This morning’s announcement, made during a monthly meeting of the Portland Bureau of Transportation Freight Advisory Committee, pushes the opening of the bridge even further back into summer 2022.

https://bikeportland.org/2021/09/02/...5?noamp=mobile

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Wow I can understand a couple month delay but damn how do you drop the ball where the delay is that long?!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:44 AM

At long last!

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...on-sunday.html

Quote:
Portland celebrates opening day of new bicycle, pedestrian bridge near Lloyd Center on Sunday
Updated: Jul. 28, 2022, 10:37 a.m.|Published: Jul. 28, 2022, 10:31 a.m.

The Congressman Earl Blumenauer Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge along Northeast Seventh Avenue over Interstate 84 in Northeast Portland, pictured on Wednesday, July 27, 2022. Sean Meagher/The Oregonian

By Rosemarie Stein | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The official opening day of the new Congressman Earl Blumenauer Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge is Sunday, July 31.

The Portland Bureau of Transportation has planned a free day-long party to welcome the community, pedestrians, and cyclists to explore the new bridge as well as many community spaces in the area.

The day includes design tours, pedestrian and bike parades, and chances to meet local vendors and community organizations that will gather to celebrate the new bridge that now provides a car-free link between two of Portland neighborhoods, the Lloyd District and the Central Eastside.

The new crossing spans Interstate 84 at Northeast Seventh Avenue, and completes a major segment of the future Green Loop, a concept for a 6-mile linear park that includes urban pedestrian plazas, mobility zones, and engaged adjacent developments, according to PBOT.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:43 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

It's such a shame Sunday's weather is expected to still be blazing hot, in the upper 90s.

Quote:
1:30 p.m. Celebration Bike Ride. This 8-mile ride will likely last about 2 hours, and crosses bike-only bridges. Learn more about Portland’s bike-friendly streets, lanes, and paths. Meet at North Plaza.

3-10 p.m. Block Party. Depave welcomes the community for a party including live music, skate ramps, vendors, food trucks, and lawn games. Learn about the group’s push to remove some pavement areas along roadways and replace them with green spaces. Southeast Seventh Avenue at Sandy Boulevard.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:32 PM

Had a chance to walk across this bridge today. I think this bridge will greatly influence development and hopefully lead to an active edge that can spill into redevelopment of the Lloyd District.

I saw a banner for a future beer garden and other elements on the south side of the bridge. Is there any more information about that?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:38 PM

Very pretty, subtle lighting on this bridge, a rare moment of beauty as you drive underneath along I-84.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 6:14 PM

I rode over it last night. The crossing and the landings are great. The landings are somewhat lacking in greenery for being on the future green loop, but my understanding is that planting will happen sometime after the temperature goes down a bit.

Unfortunately the access to the bridge either side is less than ideal. There are plans to make some neighborhood greenway style improvements on 7th south of the bridge. North of the bridge it seems like the fairly narrow painted bike lanes are all that will remain for the foreseeable future.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure