HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:13 PM

Niagara Falls, NY: Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge is a neighborhood located along the Niagara Gorge, in the vicinity of the Whirlpool Bridge. The area was settled as a result of the first suspension bridge being built in 1847. The settlement became the Village of Suspension Bridge. The Village of Suspension Bridge merged with the Village of Niagara Falls to form the City of Niagara Falls in 1892. Previously, in 1887, the hamlet of Clarksville, located between Suspension Bridge and Niagara Falls, had been annexed by the Village of Niagara Falls.

The old U.S. Custom House, on Whirlpool Street at the Whirlpool Bridge. The Custom House was built in 1863, and was an official Port of Entry into the United States.

A building on Main Street at Ontario Avenue.

Buildings on Main Street.

Old businesses on Main Street.

The Niagara Falls Municipal Complex, on Main Street. The structure was completed in the Summer of 2009.

A house on Division Avenue.

A house on Lincoln Place.

The old Shea's Bellevue Theatre, on Main Street. The theater was built in 1921, was renamed the Rapids Theatre in the 1960s until is closed in 1974, and is re-opening as the Rapids Theatre now.

An old bank building on Main Street, now the Geraldine A. Donovan Center.

The Earl W. Brydges Public Library, on Main Street at Lockport Street and Portage Road. The library was built in 1974.

Houses on Pierce Avenue.

Houses on 8th Street.

Zion Lutheran Church, at 10th Street and Michigan Avenue. The church was built in 1896.

The old Jenss Department Store, on Main Street at Division Avenue. The store opened in 1903, and closed in 1951.

The Quinn Block, on Main Street. The structure was built in 1906.

Buildings on Cleveland Avenue.

An old house on 10th Street.

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church rectory, on 11th Street.

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, on South Street at 11th Street. The church was founded in 1854, and is now closed.

The Why Coffee Shop, at the Y-shaped intersection of Main Street and Portage Road.

Businesses on Main Street.

The New York State Armory, on Main Street at Spruce Avenue. The armory was built in 1895.

Houses on Spruce Avenue.

The Carnegie Library, on Main Street. The library was built in 1902, using funds granted by Andrew Carnegie.

A building on Main Street at Spruce Avenue.

Niagara Falls City Hall, on Main Street near Cedar Avenue. City Hall was built in 1924.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 3:57 PM

Great photo thread!

I read somewhere that the Custom House is being renovated and will be eventually turned into the new Amtrak station for Niagara Falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The old U.S. Custom House, on Whirlpool Street at the Whirlpool Bridge. The Custom House was built in 1863, and was an official Port of Entry into the United States.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 6:45 PM
Eurosceptic

I really appreciate your Niagara Falls, NY tours... it's a very creepy city.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 7:06 PM

Suspension Bridge is a really sweet name for a neighborhood. I drove down Main St once at night, and it was pretty eerie. Cool tour.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I really appreciate your Niagara Falls, NY tours... it's a very creepy city.
Thanks! No more Niagara Falls tours (either side of the border) for the time being, since I already showed my pictures of neighborhoods that I visited last Summer. There's still more to cover, so this isn't the end.

I do have one more St. Catharines neighborhood tour to do, since I am working on covering that as well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 5:42 PM
Honored Member

Excellent photos, depressed-looking town. Maybe higher gas prices and a lagging economy will get more people to vacation close to home, and bring a revival of the tourist industry that used to sustain the area.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Thanks! No more Niagara Falls tours (either side of the border) for the time being, since I already showed my pictures of neighborhoods that I visited last Summer. There's still more to cover, so this isn't the end.

I do have one more St. Catharines neighborhood tour to do, since I am working on covering that as well.
Did you cover the Facer St. area in St. Catharines? It's a neat little East European enclave.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 8:04 PM
Reach for the Clouds

At least the NY side is real...for the most part, the Canadian side is like a bad version of some already tacky amusement park.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Did you cover the Facer St. area in St. Catharines? It's a neat little East European enclave.
I've driven through it, but not taken pictures yet. There are quite a few neighborhoods that are interesting in St. Catharines, so I'll be covering that in a future year.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 12:45 PM

Unable to see any of these photos. Got some advice for how I can see them?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos