HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

UpperWest in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:28 PM

Happy to see they added 2 bedroom units to the project. I really didn't understand why they didn't have them in the first place!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 8:58 PM
Closed account

I also went to visit Upperwest. I really like the suites they're offering, many seem to be quite spacious and have decently sized balconies with great views.

Upperwest by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:23 AM
Closed account

I really like this building and the units they offered. They're rather spacious and have really great views all around (although I'd rather a southern view, which is also the one with the two units that merged with a smaller middle one).

I don't know if this is mentioned in this thread, but the floorplans on the wall said that this was new, but they have two-storey townhouses in the bottom of the podium, with a private yard. Above it, though, in the podium is an above-ground parking garage (they said they won't be digging a deep hole).

They hope to break ground this fall, and be complete by 2015.

I brought my mother along to UpperWest and the Rhombus, as she's looking to sell her house soon to buy a condo and wanted to see what they will look like. She like UpperWest more because for the price it was offering, the rooms were spacious enough. And that is something because she is very skeptical about all the buildings going up (she is a NIMBY that I'm working on reforming) and complains about condos being too expensive, but this one was she really likes everything.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:56 AM

FYI,

I was by the sales center a couple of weeks ago and they are now at 40% sales.

This includes a reduction in the number of total units based on making certain units larger and elminating others.

I think this is a great location next to Westboro Village and Dominion Station plus future western LRT.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
FYI,

I was by the sales center a couple of weeks ago and they are now at 40% sales.

This includes a reduction in the number of total units based on making certain units larger and elminating others.

I think this is a great location next to Westboro Village and Dominion Station plus future western LRT.
Thanks for the update: Did they say when construction will start? Typically at 75%+ sales or maybe less because Minto has more financial clout?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 1:24 PM

Was at the sales centre this weekend and got a bit of an update...

Construction should start in the next month or two and tentative move-in date is still summer 2015 I believe...

A lot of the units are apparently "sold out" now but they either added new units or have lowered some of their prices as they had a 1 bed unit on ground floor for $214,000 which was not previously advertised. Most expensive unit is a 1,1M 3 bed condo.

Was actually surprised at the value of the townhomes. They have between 1500 and 2000sq ft of indoor and outdoor space and were priced between 500,000 - 700,000 so about the same price as their 2 bedrooms but a lot more space.

All in all a great looking building and project but out of my price range

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:54 AM
National Capital Region

12 Oct 2013 by Southfacing @flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/10235540195/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Is that the 'old west end' that is so paralyzed by extremification, as per the Bulldog blog.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:

This is a nice aerial view.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:42 AM

General update:

Obviously, no construction start yet. Was notified proposed move in date moved from June 2015 to May 2016. Now 43% sales. 3% since my last post. The sales person did indicate that my particular floor plan unit had two more sales that do not show up on the web site so maybe there are others. Confirmed potential construction will occur at 65%.

On the bright side, I plan to attend the Womens Soccer World Cup in 2015 (including the final in Vancouver) so I have no moving conflict anymore.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:44 PM

Still nothing on this one yet? I think they could lower their prices a bit to try to stir up some sales or else they might end up loosing more than their gaining.

From when I visited the sales center this buildings didn't seem more "high-end" or high quality than all other condo buildings going up but their prices were definitely on the higher end of the scale...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:30 PM

Right now they're trying to sell a bunch of new one-bedroom units that seem to be marked down ($20K-$30K less?) in price from initial offerings.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:41 PM

I just chated with Kate on their site.

I asked if the prices included the taxes and did not get a straight answer...she said that it depends...that each situation is different???

So I did not get an answer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:02 PM
National Capital Region

I don't know to what extent this is related to the apparent lack of sales at Upper West, but it's become noticeable over the past several months how slowly a lot of the semi-McMansions in the area are selling.

There are projects all over the area with unsold units and new units being rented out, while developer-acquired cottages and bungalows are also now being rented out, whereas in the past they just tended to stay unoccupied for a few months during the rezoning process before being demolished.

Perhaps the supply of people willing to pay anything to get into Westboro has finally dried up.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:15 PM

Any sales/general update? This is not receiving too much hype.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I don't know to what extent this is related to the apparent lack of sales at Upper West, but it's become noticeable over the past several months how slowly a lot of the semi-McMansions in the area are selling.

There are projects all over the area with unsold units and new units being rented out, while developer-acquired cottages and bungalows are also now being rented out, whereas in the past they just tended to stay unoccupied for a few months during the rezoning process before being demolished.

Perhaps the supply of people willing to pay anything to get into Westboro has finally dried up.
I don't think this is only a Westboro only issue. The same stagnation of $900K + semis seems to be going on in in Old Ottawa (south and East) and in New Edinburgh.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
Any sales/general update? This is not receiving too much hype.
I have heard about their recent (re) grand-opening on the radio but other than that you are right, there has not been a whole lot of hype for this.

Minto Twitter feed indicated UpperWest condos had been selling like hotcakes on their grand-opening in early April. I know Minto has other projects (both high rise and residential) all over town and they have been talking more about their new TrailsEdge community in the east end.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:20 PM

I am curious to see the exact location of the building in relation to Amica and the 3 other old apartment/condo buildings.

Quote:

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
I am curious to see the exact location of the building in relation to Amica and the 3 other old apartment/condo buildings.
There are some notable flaws in the heights and shapes of the buildings around it, but this is an approximate of what Upperwest should look like in the area.

http://demo.f4map.com/#lat=45.390130...era.phi=92.876
(For those worried, I tweaked the shape and adjusted the height of Amica to make it more accurate, so tomorrow it should be updated).

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:31 PM

I was just about to post the location of exactly where UpperWest will be but noticed that defishel beat me to it. Anyways, it will be located in the small parking lot in the center of the google map link.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.38933.../data=!3m1!1e3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa