HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:13 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Dam development news

http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/328597.html

And here is a great website I Googled with a lot of pictures of the flood.
http://www.tetondam.org/

So, do you who live in Eastern Idaho want to see this rebuilt?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:19 AM

The building of the dam can only help...I think so at least.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:41 PM

A little diversion:
Here's a link to a story of a lifestyle that is lived out in several states repped in this mountain west forum.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....77e80253.html

Quote from the story:
All of these women are living it for the same reason I was living polygamy, because we believed it was commanded by God. These women need to know that that's not the case," said Schmidt. "I came down here because I was raised in polygamy, I became a polygamist wife when I was 15 years old. I was married as the sixth wife to a 38-year-old man I was taught, just as the women in San Angelo have been that we had to live polygamy in order to go to heaven."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:24 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:49 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
A little diversion:
Here's a link to a story of a lifestyle that is lived out in several states repped in this mountain west forum.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....77e80253.html

Quote from the story:
All of these women are living it for the same reason I was living polygamy, because we believed it was commanded by God. These women need to know that that's not the case," said Schmidt. "I came down here because I was raised in polygamy, I became a polygamist wife when I was 15 years old. I was married as the sixth wife to a 38-year-old man I was taught, just as the women in San Angelo have been that we had to live polygamy in order to go to heaven."
it's shocking to say the least.. but honestly what church out there doesn't require "rules" and obligations to go to heaven that members never question?
Certainly if those rules and obligations go against the law of the land then its not appropriate, but I would think many people who are religious would read these stories and analyze themselves and their own beliefs.. The polygamists might be strange freakish to the rest of the country.. but for someone who did grow up religous it certainly provides good insight for myself and what I believe and why..

Question everything I say.. even yourself.....

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 8:35 AM
Always running Late

does anyone have an interesting news about twin falls? I know there is a huge amount of growth happening down there. I know they are getting a lot more franchises like olive garden and such, but would be interested to know of any bigger news that doesn't make its way to boise...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
does anyone have an interesting news about twin falls? I know there is a huge amount of growth happening down there. I know they are getting a lot more franchises like olive garden and such, but would be interested to know of any bigger news that doesn't make its way to boise...
Better yet, since Utah has threads for every little hee haw town in their state, (i am referring to the mass number of new ut. threads on the forum this morning) lets start a thread for every small town in Idaho! After all this state is growing, even the smallest farm towns are growing!
We can update each other on a new mexican restaurant opening such as Utah does in their restaurant thread and then we can hope the rest of the mountain west forumers think we are cool because we have a new Mexican restaurant opening or a Gelato shop
But us in Boise wouldn't get excited over a Gelato shop because Gelato is available in numerous shops/restaurants all over downtown and the city.

I guess I better shut up before I subject myself and others to the wrath of a few forumers

Anyhoo, Back to Twin Falls. There was a story in the IBR a few weeks ago about a new development there on the canyon rim. Might have to search the previous issues for the details.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Apr 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:50 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Better yet, since Utah has threads for every little hee haw town in their state, (i am referring to the mass number of new ut. threads on the forum this morning) lets start a thread for every small town in Idaho! After all this state is growing, even the smallest farm towns are growing!
We can update each other on a new mexican restaurant opening such as Utah does in their restaurant thread and then we can hope the rest of the mountain west forumers think we are cool because we have a new Mexican restaurant opening or a Gelato shop
But us in Boise wouldn't get excited over a Gelato shop because Gelato is available in numerous shops/restaurants all over downtown and the city.

I guess I better shut up before I subject myself and others to the wrath of a few forumers

Anyhoo, Back to Twin Falls. There was a story in the IBR a few weeks ago about a new development there on the canyon rim. Might have to search the previous issues for the details.

So Funny and Yet TRUE!!!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 12:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I thought I would post some news and an example writing talent that is rarely seen in the main newspaper. I've included a few paragraphs from the article so click on the link if you care to read the whole article.

http://www.newwest.net/magazine/arti...est/C555/L555/

A century ago, Ustick, west of Boise, was a farming hamlet surrounded by apple orchards and served by a trolley car system. After World War II, Boise's sprawl gradually subsumed the bucolic little burg. Running east-west between Interstate 84 and Chinden Boulevard, Ustick Road – once a graceful tree-lined two-lane thoroughfare – became clogged with cars and lined with strip malls featuring gun shops and nail salons, small office buildings, and, eventually, big-box retail stores (a 97,000 square foot Kohl's department store stands at the corner of Ustick and Eagle Road).

Commute times into Boise lengthened from 15 minutes (the time it once took to ride the streetcar from Ustick to downtown) to 30 minutes and more, as traffic crawled along the narrow arterial.

The Ada County Highway Commission proposed to fix the traffic problem by dramatically widening the road, turning that once-picturesque country thoroughfare into a long field of asphalt. Boise city planners had another vision: to help Ustick regain its lost character with a boulevard-style byway, with planted medians and restricted left-turn points, public transit options, bike lanes and so on.

In Ada County, the highway commission (which is the only independently elected commission of its kind in the United States) was unimpressed with Boise's aesthetic concerns and moved forward with its blow-it-out plan. The city argued to have a part in the design but lost when the case went to court.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 2:34 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Here's today's article from the IBR:
Couple opens events center to ease crowding
by Rick Carpenter

A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.

Dan and Sonja Willie saw the problem when they were helping organize a fundraiser for a golf tournament for the local Boys and Girls Club. The event had overflowed other facilities in town and they had to apply for a liquor license each time they wanted to host an event.

So, they did what any good entrepreneur would do. They built their own facility: a 21,800-square-foot, $7.3 million restaurant and events center.
Canyon Crest Dining and Events Center, perched on the south rim of the Snake River Gorge, overlooks two golf courses, the Perrine Bridge (a base jumper’s mecca) and spectacular views of the area.

The new restaurant even features a rotating table for eight people. But don’t try to reserve it for Wednesday at 5 p.m. That’s when a group of businessmen who have been meeting for more years than they can remember have it booked. They suggested and helped pay for the rotating table because there would always be at least one member who would be upset that he had his back to the crowd. Now, with the table, they all get a shot at viewing the entire lounge.

R. Todd Blass, one of the regular businessmen who previously met at another restaurant, said the old restaurant (he wouldn’t name it) wouldn’t reserve their favorite table, even though they met there every week at the same time. They started joking with Dan Willie about making a rotating restaurant and they eventually settled on the rotating table. And the businessmen paid half of the estimated $18,000 for the table which is actually the same platform technology used for car dealerships which spin cars in showrooms.
The 11-foot rotating table even has gears so the owner can speed it up to a maximum speed of one rotation in four minutes or slow it down to a snail’s pace.

“This is our Space Needle of Twin Falls,” Dan Willie said.

And as if the rotating table isn’t novelty enough, the restaurant features a player grand piano for the times they do not have live entertainment.
Canyon Crest Dining features casual fine dining with steak and seafood. It seats 100 in the lounge, another 144 in the restaurant and 104 on the deck. In addition, it has an upstairs private meeting room for 20 people with an outdoor deck.

But more impressive is the events center portion of the facility which can comfortably host 400 people with roundtables for eight people each. More than 100 events have booked the facility between now and the end of the year. And entertainer Danny Marona – named Entertainer of the Year 10 years in a row in Nevada – has already agreed to perform there on New Year’s Eve.

Jan Rogers, executive director of the Southern Idaho Economic Development Organization, said prior to the opening of Canyon Crest, the area was limited to about 225 people at a sit-down dinner.

Steve Di Lucca, a commercial real estate agent for Westerra Real Estate Group in Twin Falls, is so sold on the area his company is building two 50,000-square-foot buildings and investing $17 million in a condo development just west of Canyon Crest. It will house the Magic Valley Arts Council, and each building will have mixed-use office space on the first floor, professional offices on the second and third floors and residences on the fourth and fifth floors. He said the restaurant and the events center are within walking distance.

There is also a new St. Luke’s Hospital going up in the area as is a new high school and four new hotels including an AmeriTel and a Hilton within walking distance of Canyon Crest.

The Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce gave the new facility its first major test on April 17, three days after opening. More than 350 people got to see the facility for the first time. With its breathtaking views, it’s no surprise 10 weddings have been booked on the lookout, with a view of the gorge.
The Willies own and operate Travelers’ Oasis Truck Plaza, Flags West Truck Stop and 13 Stop ‘N Go convenience stores in Magic Valley.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-ease-crowding
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 3:58 PM

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....afbee73b.html

Silver Mountain near Kellogg is adding a new indoor water park to its offerings. The new Silver Rapids feature is set to open May 30th, and will add more than 42,000 square feet of water park attractions to the North Idaho ski area.

Features include a surf wave machine, family raft ride, several enclosed tube slides and a lazy river floating feature. A play structure for children features interactive water valves and sprays - themed as a miner's town. The entire water park plays off Kellogg's history as a mining area - with features like "Gold Rush" and "Prosepctor's Plunge."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:02 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
Here's today's article from the IBR:
Couple opens events center to ease crowding
by Rick Carpenter

A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.

Dan and Sonja Willie saw the problem when they were helping organize a fundraiser for a golf tournament for the local Boys and Girls Club. The event had overflowed other facilities in town and they had to apply for a liquor license each time they wanted to host an event.

So, they did what any good entrepreneur would do. They built their own facility: a 21,800-square-foot, $7.3 million restaurant and events center.
Canyon Crest Dining and Events Center, perched on the south rim of the Snake River Gorge, overlooks two golf courses, the Perrine Bridge (a base jumper’s mecca) and spectacular views of the area.

The new restaurant even features a rotating table for eight people. But don’t try to reserve it for Wednesday at 5 p.m. That’s when a group of businessmen who have been meeting for more years than they can remember have it booked. They suggested and helped pay for the rotating table because there would always be at least one member who would be upset that he had his back to the crowd. Now, with the table, they all get a shot at viewing the entire lounge.

R. Todd Blass, one of the regular businessmen who previously met at another restaurant, said the old restaurant (he wouldn’t name it) wouldn’t reserve their favorite table, even though they met there every week at the same time. They started joking with Dan Willie about making a rotating restaurant and they eventually settled on the rotating table. And the businessmen paid half of the estimated $18,000 for the table which is actually the same platform technology used for car dealerships which spin cars in showrooms.
The 11-foot rotating table even has gears so the owner can speed it up to a maximum speed of one rotation in four minutes or slow it down to a snail’s pace.

“This is our Space Needle of Twin Falls,” Dan Willie said.

And as if the rotating table isn’t novelty enough, the restaurant features a player grand piano for the times they do not have live entertainment.
Canyon Crest Dining features casual fine dining with steak and seafood. It seats 100 in the lounge, another 144 in the restaurant and 104 on the deck. In addition, it has an upstairs private meeting room for 20 people with an outdoor deck.

But more impressive is the events center portion of the facility which can comfortably host 400 people with roundtables for eight people each. More than 100 events have booked the facility between now and the end of the year. And entertainer Danny Marona – named Entertainer of the Year 10 years in a row in Nevada – has already agreed to perform there on New Year’s Eve.

Jan Rogers, executive director of the Southern Idaho Economic Development Organization, said prior to the opening of Canyon Crest, the area was limited to about 225 people at a sit-down dinner.

Steve Di Lucca, a commercial real estate agent for Westerra Real Estate Group in Twin Falls, is so sold on the area his company is building two 50,000-square-foot buildings and investing $17 million in a condo development just west of Canyon Crest. It will house the Magic Valley Arts Council, and each building will have mixed-use office space on the first floor, professional offices on the second and third floors and residences on the fourth and fifth floors. He said the restaurant and the events center are within walking distance.

There is also a new St. Luke’s Hospital going up in the area as is a new high school and four new hotels including an AmeriTel and a Hilton within walking distance of Canyon Crest.

The Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce gave the new facility its first major test on April 17, three days after opening. More than 350 people got to see the facility for the first time. With its breathtaking views, it’s no surprise 10 weddings have been booked on the lookout, with a view of the gorge.
The Willies own and operate Travelers’ Oasis Truck Plaza, Flags West Truck Stop and 13 Stop ‘N Go convenience stores in Magic Valley.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-ease-crowding
Interesting... I was down in that area last week, went thru hagerman and the canyon, was talking to some people in twin falls and they were saying that a highrise hotel was to be constructed on the canyon rim, perhaps this is what they were talking about...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 7:35 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Interesting... I was down in that area last week, went thru hagerman and the canyon, was talking to some people in twin falls and they were saying that a highrise hotel was to be constructed on the canyon rim, perhaps this is what they were talking about...
The article says the building will be 5 stories. Not bad for Twin Falls, but I sure wouldn't consider that a high-rise...unless the people you were talking to were talking about another building.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 7:48 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:46 PM
World Traveler

The website says there ae two 5-story buildings available. It's a good looking development, but definately no high rises

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:45 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
The website says there ae two 5-story buildings available. It's a good looking development, but definately no high rises
you know I'm not sure.. 5 stories is not a highrise but a lady that owned a cafe downtown in twin falls where I stopped of coffee said something about a 15 story hotel or something... maybe she was off her rocker.. but didn't know if anyone knew anything about it

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:50 PM

Quote:
you know I'm not sure.. 5 stories is not a highrise but a lady that owned a cafe downtown in twin falls where I stopped of coffee said something about a 15 story hotel or something... maybe she was off her rocker.. but didn't know if anyone knew anything about it

Here is a link to an old thread that has mention of a 15 floor hotel.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125330

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:54 PM
Always running Late

this must be what she was refering to... interesting.. so its a no go as of yet?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:47 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Here is a link to an old thread that has mention of a 15 floor hotel.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125330
Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if the hotel is actually built, and if it will be 10 or 15 stories, or shorter...any way, it will be good for TF.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:40 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West