HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:44 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I never did like Park Lane, the best thing they could do is completely redo it. The second level never could support stores. I don't have the solution, but I am sure someone could do a good job there. It ideally would need and anchor at the back of the mall to draw in shoppers and attract stores. Maybe making the back of the mall into a two level store and therefore attract an anchor.
To me the easiest fix would be to put a big entrance from Dresden Row somewhere opposite Pete's so that people would find it interesting to walk thru to SGR.
I doubt their history would attract a major store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:08 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I never did like Park Lane, the best thing they could do is completely redo it. The second level never could support stores. I don't have the solution, but I am sure someone could do a good job there. It ideally would need and anchor at the back of the mall to draw in shoppers and attract stores. Maybe making the back of the mall into a two level store and therefore attract an anchor.
Park Lane could be a nice mall and it's in a perfect location. It just needs a serious investment to bring it out of the sad 1990s.... the way HSC was invested in, upgraded, and given a major renovation. Now, it attracts top end retailers.

Park Lane could do this, but unfortunately, Crombie REIT have let it run down and actually been trying to sell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:08 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,111
A few medium-scale stores that I think would work well in Park Lane or Scotia Square would be Staples (or something similar - electronics and office supplies), Winners (or another larger-scale clothing store; H&M would also work), Giant Tiger (or another small department store), Jysk (or another larger-scale furniture store) and Canadian Tire (or something similar).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:10 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
A few medium-scale stores that I think would work well in Park Lane or Scotia Square would be Staples (or something similar - electronics and office supplies), Winners (or another larger-scale clothing store; H&M would also work), Giant Tiger (or another small department store), Jysk (or another larger-scale furniture store) and Canadian Tire (or something similar).
Totally. I think these retailers would absolutely turn that place around. It would be a major shopping destination downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:29 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,111
Cool proposal for the area. It's interesting how the massing makes it seem more like a midrise than a "tower" at 17 stories. HRMbD encourages buildings divided vertically into 3 sections - does that apply for this site, or does this design somehow meet that criteria anyway?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:36 PM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,111
It would also relate well to the back of the Trillium, which right now looks a bit awkward IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 4:15 AM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Would have loved to have seen this one on the empty lot on queen street next to the library, it would have been a perfect addition. It looks amazing but I really dont tjink Breton street needs tjis added retail space
If it was next to the library, it would block the library's only decent view.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:02 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,931
^ That view is completely ruined for me because of the horrible surface parking lot. I'd find a view of this beautiful proposal much more appealing.

Besides, if the wide side was against Queen with the narrow side facing the back of the library, you'd still be able to see past it and beyond to the harbour.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:05 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
A few medium-scale stores that I think would work well in Park Lane or Scotia Square would be Staples (or something similar - electronics and office supplies), Winners (or another larger-scale clothing store; H&M would also work), Giant Tiger (or another small department store), Jysk (or another larger-scale furniture store) and Canadian Tire (or something similar).
Agreed to all of those. But the store I've really got a craving for a downtown location is Bulk Barn! Although maybe if they made a new Staples, the site on Gottingen could be redeveloped.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:44 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
If it was next to the library, it would block the library's only decent view.
The choice view from the library is toward the harbour. Breathtaking. This, alone, should get Keith to eventually love the place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:46 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Agreed to all of those. But the store I've really got a craving for a downtown location is Bulk Barn! Although maybe if they made a new Staples, the site on Gottingen could be redeveloped.
Definitely think these big box need to start thinking of urban formats because Amazon will eventually put them out of business.

Staples would be great to have in Park Lane.

A new downtown Apple store would be an incredibly anchor tenant to turn Park Lane around; but the mall needs a significant renovation.

It's not bad, but it feels too Sad 1990s Mall in there right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:21 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,045
If there is enough population growth around Spring Garden Road then medium-sized stores will start to become viable. This will only happen if higher density developments like this proposal are built. The old building stock isn't nearly adequate now because it takes a lot more people today to support the same amount of brick-and-mortar retail than it did in 1950, all else being equal.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 6:29 PM
hokus83 hokus83 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ That view is completely ruined for me because of the horrible surface parking lot. I'd find a view of this beautiful proposal much more appealing.

Besides, if the wide side was against Queen with the narrow side facing the back of the library, you'd still be able to see past it and beyond to the harbour.
I agree. Who the heck would think what is there now is a pleasant view
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 12:55 AM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If there is enough population growth around Spring Garden Road then medium-sized stores will start to become viable. This will only happen if higher density developments like this proposal are built. The old building stock isn't nearly adequate now because it takes a lot more people today to support the same amount of brick-and-mortar retail than it did in 1950, all else being equal.
Totally!

I walked by this area tonight, and realized that this proposal will fit into the odd space in beyond the Trillium perfectly. There's a parking lot and two or three wood buildings, but this will really help build/inject even more density, as somebody123 points out.

I don't even think the Schmidtville NIMBYs will go too crazy, as it's essentially right across from Park Vic, which itself is a bit of a land/property bank between the SGR high density development and the smaller residential further towards the South End in this area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 1:30 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,169
^The local NIMBY's will still go crazy but this project falls under the Downtown plan so the appeal process is limited.

I personally like this proposal. It's different than we're used to but it should fit in well and the density will be great for the area.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 1:36 AM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 848
That is good to hear, I like the looks of this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:58 AM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^The local NIMBY's will still go crazy but this project falls under the Downtown plan so the appeal process is limited.

I personally like this proposal. It's different than we're used to but it should fit in well and the density will be great for the area.
You're probably right. Never underestimate the selfish rage of the NIMBYs.

Thank G-d for HRMxD.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 2:09 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,003
I agree with JET that those buildings will be a loss, although admittedly that area is a bit of a mish-mash now. The new building should clean up the area somewhat, and offer much better land usage for the area. Would be nice if the wooden buildings could be moved to another location, but I realize it probably won't happen due to economics.

While many of you laud this building as beautiful, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the beauty so much. To me, it looks more like a kid's Lego build, with disjointed blocks haphazardly put here and there. Then there's that black rectangle on the side that looks like it stuck there after somebody threw it.

Is this considered good architecture these days?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 4:42 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree with JET that those buildings will be a loss, although admittedly that area is a bit of a mish-mash now. The new building should clean up the area somewhat, and offer much better land usage for the area. Would be nice if the wooden buildings could be moved to another location, but I realize it probably won't happen due to economics.

While many of you laud this building as beautiful, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the beauty so much. To me, it looks more like a kid's Lego build, with disjointed blocks haphazardly put here and there. Then there's that black rectangle on the side that looks like it stuck there after somebody threw it.

Is this considered good architecture these days?
Misery loves company.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 6:16 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree with JET that those buildings will be a loss, although admittedly that area is a bit of a mish-mash now. The new building should clean up the area somewhat, and offer much better land usage for the area. Would be nice if the wooden buildings could be moved to another location, but I realize it probably won't happen due to economics.

While many of you laud this building as beautiful, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the beauty so much. To me, it looks more like a kid's Lego build, with disjointed blocks haphazardly put here and there. Then there's that black rectangle on the side that looks like it stuck there after somebody threw it.

Is this considered good architecture these days?
I think the difference is that I don't see anything random or haphazard. If you look closely, the building has near perfect symmetry, with only enough subtle variation as to give it some warmth. The black square toward the top is exactly in the middle of the Brenton St. façade (although it's hard to see it from the angle of the rendering). And the proportions are bang on as well as someone already mentioned. It's tall (for the area), but the setbacks take the edge off making it seem more sensitive to it's surroundings.

Even the colours are harmonious with the tan/grey, charcoal and gold contrasting enough to give some variation but not enough to be jarring. And the pattern created by the common balcony floors and the private balcony floors is consistent. They also strike the perfect balance in terms of materials, with enough glass to make it seem open and modern, but not so much glass as to see unimaginative or lacking in visual weight. The only thing I can possibly think to change would be to perhaps use cooler rather than warmer colours. But that's just a personal preference really.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.