HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:30 AM

My friends and I went to check out the Ion LRT system in Kitchener-Waterloo today. It was awesome to see what a progressive city can do with smart infrastructure and a vision for a better city. New developments, even new office buildings, and beautiful public squares.

I am more excited than ever for Hamilton's LRT. Knowing that each LRT stop can be it's own central meeting spot with density, commercial and walking distance rapid transit to the core makes me very optimistic for Hamilton's future. I wish this were already done in Hamilton so we could see the affects, and be advocating for the next steps already. Hamilton will be well suited to LRT, I can tell already.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:32 PM

Early Works Construction Begins for Hamilton LRT

Pipeline Replacement at Queenston Traffic Circle

What Work is Taking Place
  • In preparation for Hamilton LRT major construction, Trans Northern Pipelines Inc. (TNPI) must upgrade a section of their pipeline crossing the LRT corridor at the Queenston Traffic Circle.
  • A staging area will be located on Metrolinx-owned property, 75 Queenston Road.

Timing
  • Construction is scheduled to begin October 15, with expected completion by late Decemeber.
  • Work will be conducted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Work may be rescheduled due to weather or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
  • Some noise associated with construction activity
  • Traffic pattern changes on Queenston Road throughout phased construction activity

Traffic Details
  • Lane restrictions will begin October 15, and conclude at the completion of work.
  • Phased lane closures will occur on Queenston Road between Craigroyston Road and Berry Avenue. One lane of traffic will remain open in each direction.
  • The Queenston-facing entry into Tim Hortons will be closed in phases during the work. The Cochrane Street entrance will remain open. No other driveways or accesses will be impacted by this work.
  • HSR transit service will be maintained, but bus stops may move temporarily to accommodate this work.
  • Sidewalk closures and temporary pedestrian bypasses will take place in stages throughout the work. Please follow all signage and cross only at designated crossing areas.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterr...2019_FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:48 PM

Spec Article
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...s-in-east-end/

Hey LRT watchers: visible work in the east end has finally begun to prepare for Hamilton's planned light rail transit line.
The two-month project involves moving a section of oil pipeline that crosses Queenston Road along the hydro corridor to "make some room" between underground utilities and the eventual LRT tracks, which require a deeper roadbed, said the city's LRT project head Kris Jacobson.

Trans Northern Pipelines construction crews have set up a staging area on the demolished Motor City Hotel site and drivers can expect lane restrictions on Queenston Road until late December.

Jacobson said the pre-construction work represents a visible "milestone" for a project that has a lot of activity going on but almost exclusively behind the scenes.

Three consortiums are working on detailed bids to build and run the $1-billion, 14-kilometre transit line between McMaster University and Eastgate Square, with results expected next spring.

A contract award would likely come in the fall assuming the controversial and oft-delayed project survives a final council vote on an operations agreement.

All that means major construction such as digging up King, Main and Queenston and adding new LRT tracks will likely not begin before 2021.

If you're searching for other visible proof the project is actually happening, the next milestone should be destruction, rather than construction.

Metrolinx has purchased nearly two-thirds of the 90 buildings it needs along the Main-King corridor for the project. Some of those are expected to be demolished this fall.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure