HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 3:07 AM

Any HDR software?

Can someone tell me where I could find a software to produce HDR image with a couple of image with light variations. I have a Canon S2 so I can't take RAW images... Is this possible? Actually I don't know much about HDR...

Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 5:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't worry about not shooting raw...

ya google it.......

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:40 PM
arf

It's been on my list of things to play with, but I'm such a lazy ass for carrying equipment and setting up shots. Here's one you can try for free and plugs in to Photoshop too if you use it:

HDR Soft

I haven't tried the demo yet. I'd want to go take a couple of sets of photos to work with prior to downloading the trial.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 1:44 AM
low life in a tall place

I use Photomatixm which Ninjatune recommended for me. I'm pretty happy with it, but maybe there are better software out there.

I don't really like those hardcore HDR images at all. I'm more into subtle HDR, and Photomatix is a great application for that:

This image is made from three unique raw-files.

This one is made from a single raw-file.

This one is an JPG-image that I actually did some minimal work on in Photomatix. Although it's hardly noticable, and I honestly don't think it made any difference whatsoever.

By the way, I think there are some tutorials on Flickr regarding HDR images from JPG-photos (ie. non-raw). Don't expect the quality to be that phenomenal though...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:50 PM

Yeah, Photomatix is great! Altough there are a few glitches, but it works well overall...

Here are my 2 first attempts at HDR, the first one taken from my computer desk, and the second one, less basic, 2 houses across the street...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
By the way, I think there are some tutorials on Flickr regarding HDR images from JPG-photos (ie. non-raw). Don't expect the quality to be that phenomenal though...
Shooting JPG should still work, as long as one actually takes 2+ images at different exposure levels. The main thing lost by not shooting RAW is the ability to further adjust the exposure post-hoc.

The most important things to do when taking photos for HDR are to use a tripod (or stable flat surface) and to vary the exposure by changing the shutter speed while keeping a constant aperture (the photos won't line up properly if the aperture changes and alters the depth-of-field).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography