HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully this starts soon. One of the best designs planned in Chicago at the moment. Hopefully the scrutiny isn't insane for this tower, as it can really alter the skyline for the better.

Do you Chicago guys think a 2020 start date (sometime in that year) is plausible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Or just go for the title tallest building in North America. New York can’t have all the titles.
In the end, its not about titles. Chicago's skyline is a work of art. Quality over quantity. Like an artist that fine-tunes a work of art, good art takes time and thats what Chicago has. You have some aspects in your skyline that I wish we had here. Believe me, the amount of garbage that NY puts out is high. Don't let the shiny super talls fool you, we put out a lot of garbage towers. Fortunately many of them are masked.

Tribune Tower is stunning. We have this proposal called Tower Fifth, which will stain the skyline. Maybe its good that Chicago somewhat scrutinizes skyline altering towers, because once you get over 1200 ft, any crap tower can really damage the skyline.

Although from what I'm reading, IDK why they would scrutinize Tribune. I mean, how much better do they want it to get lol. Let's get the shovels ready on this one!!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully this starts soon. One of the best designs planned in Chicago at the moment. Hopefully the scrutiny isn't insane for this tower, as it can really alter the skyline for the better.

Do you Chicago guys think a 2020 start date (sometime in that year) is plausible?

In the end, its not about titles. Chicago's skyline is a work of art. Quality over quantity. Like an artist that fine-tunes a work of art, good art takes time and thats what Chicago has. You have some aspects in your skyline that I wish we had here. Believe me, the amount of garbage that NY puts out is high. Don't let the shiny super talls fool you, we put out a lot of garbage towers. Fortunately many of them are masked.Tribune Tower is stunning. We have this proposal called Tower Fifth, which will stain the skyline. Maybe its good that Chicago somewhat scrutinizes skyline altering towers, because once you get over 1200 ft, any crap tower can really damage the skyline.

Although from what I'm reading, IDK why they would scrutinize Tribune. I mean, how much better do they want it to get lol. Let's get the shovels ready on this one!!!

Brother when you come to town lunch on me

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
In the end, its not about titles. Chicago's skyline is a work of art. Quality over quantity. Like an artist that fine-tunes a work of art, good art takes time and thats what Chicago has. You have some aspects in your skyline that I wish we had here. Believe me, the amount of garbage that NY puts out is high. Don't let the shiny super talls fool you, we put out a lot of garbage towers. Fortunately many of them are masked.

Tribune Tower is stunning. We have this proposal called Tower Fifth, which will stain the skyline. Maybe its good that Chicago somewhat scrutinizes skyline altering towers, because once you get over 1200 ft, any crap tower can really damage the skyline.
I'm gonna show my New York friend this. He'll hate it, but to an extent it's true. New York has always been Form follows Finance, which is an interesting interpretation on its own.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
I feel that a start in late 2020 could be possible for this.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing738 View Post
I feel that a start in late 2020 could be possible for this.
A while back I recall 'late 2019' start date or shortly after the Tribune conversion is over. I don't know what if anything has changed. Late 2019 seems rather unlikely though the Reilly 'deal in a couple of months' headline makes that interesting.

Does anyone know when the conversion is expected to be completed?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:01 PM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
A while back I recall 'late 2019' start date or shortly after the Tribune conversion is over. I don't know what if anything has changed. Late 2019 seems rather unlikely though the Reilly 'deal in a couple of months' headline makes that interesting.

Does anyone know when the conversion is expected to be completed?
Can we skip the 1000 S Michigan and just build this one. I'm joking but that project bores me compared to this. Especially after they redid Helmut's design.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
I remember the late 2019 start date as well, I believe from a Curbed article that came out after the initial showing of the project. This was a while back though, and considering the current work on converting Tribune Tower with the equipment in the parking lot, this would have to start near the end of the conversion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing738 View Post
...considering the current work on converting Tribune Tower with the equipment in the parking lot, this would have to start near the end of the conversion.
Good point. I would also assume that lining up financing a 1,400-footer is no small feat.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:14 PM

Some (possibly promising) news out of Alderman Reilly's office:

"Over the past several months, Alderman Reilly has been working with the Department of Planning and Development (DPD) and the Department of Transportation (CDOT) to identify creative solutions to address the many, significant concerns about loading, traffic impacts, the lower levels of Illinois Street and Michigan Avenue, open space and the aesthetic of the parking base.

In his negotiations with the Development Team, Alderman Reilly has secured their commitment to deliver on all of the changes and solutions proposed by the City. The upcoming presentation will offer neighbors an opportunity to see the significantly revised proposal, ask questions and offer feedback to the Alderman.

Alderman Reilly invites you to join him and the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents (SOAR) at an informational presentation regarding the revised proposal.

Representatives of the CIM and Golub development team will present their plans and answer any questions you may have about this development proposal.

WHAT: Tribune Tower East

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and SOAR

WHEN: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 from 6:00-8:00pm

WHERE: Sheraton Grand Chicago (301 E. North Water Street) - Chicago Promenade East"

I will be traveling for work but I hope some of you are there to provide some updates!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ cool, a new public meeting, hopefully with new renderings!

and it's also a very good sign that this ball is still rolling along.

let's pray the tower hasn't been given too much of a haircut.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

This is the rendering used in the newsletter for what it's worth. Also it doesnt seem like any concerns were based on height/number of units.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:20 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

Indeed, good news

How do we know it's been given a haircut at all though? Last we heard there may be more units in the building.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
How do we know it's been given a haircut at all though?
we don't.

i'm just hoping that reilly hasn't exacted his pound of flesh.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:29 PM

Hmm would be fun to go to the meeting. I would be so nervous though if the design was changed because I love the current design so much lol

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:01 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Reilly unveils the new rendering:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 10:33 AM

Prayerfully they comeback and make this the tallest building in the northern hemisphere

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 1:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Prayerfully they comeback and make this the tallest building in the northern hemisphere
Considering the fact that the current tallest building in the northern hemisphere (and the whole planet for that matter) is the 2,717' tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, I feel quite confident in saying that your prayer will go unanswered.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 7:40 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Considering the fact that the current tallest building in the northern hemisphere (and the whole planet for that matter) is the 2,717' tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, I feel quite confident in saying that your prayer will go unanswered.
I take it he meant on this side of the planet (i.e. outside of Asia), the Western hemisphere

The Burj Khalifa reaches such height by a huge spire though, if we're counting spires this would need to pass the 1,776' WTC which I don't think would happen.

I'm down to see another roof height battle between NYC and Chicago like the good old days, all this needs is another 150+ish to pass Tower Fifth in NYC, provided that doesn't get bumped up as well.

If the new unit count is true maybe at least that prayer will go answered?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 9:02 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I take it he meant on this side of the planet (i.e. outside of Asia), the Western hemisphere

The Burj Khalifa reaches such height by a huge spire though, if we're counting spires this would need to pass the 1,776' WTC which I don't think would happen.

I'm down to see another roof height battle between NYC and Chicago like the good old days, all this needs is another 150+ish to pass Tower Fifth in NYC, provided that doesn't get bumped up as well.

If the new unit count is true maybe at least that prayer will go answered?
I'll take this one being shorter than tower fifth as long as it remains 10 times as attractive as that ugly dog of a proposal. I feel like height is nice to talk about, but this site is far from the best to take the crown. When the Thompson Center is finally torn down, then we'll have a prime plot of land to actually talk about going for 2k.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 11:39 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
When the Thompson Center is finally torn down, then we'll have a prime plot of land to actually talk about going for 2k.
Wolf Point was my original hope for the new tallest as it was such a great site for presentation's sake, but now the Thompson Center site is my new hope. It makes logistical sense with the train connections as well as the potentially sizeable lot that could become available.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals