HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
Her son came to her defense on Facebook which she shared on her page. And boy did he set the record straight and put the Sun in their place.
At least he has a sense of humour with his ridiculous last name. (His facebook name is Joseph Washthedishes-Please)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:22 PM

Falcon is looking for the Liberal nomination in Winnipeg Centre, like many of us hoped.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-1

Pat Martin had better be working on his punching defence.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:48 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I wonder if Martin just decides to not run again and retire.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:16 PM

Maybe I don't follow politics enough. But you never hear boo out of most of the federal politicians in Manitoba. What's the last things Pat Martin has done for Manitoba, I really don't know. Really only hear from Fletcher once in a while. And the old cop, Shelley Glover.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 12:13 AM

I see in todays Wpg Sun that Ross Eadie says that he is going to be homeless if he does not get a severence package when he quits being a city councilor.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I see in todays Wpg Sun that Ross Eadie says that he is going to be homeless if he does not get a severence package when he quits being a city councilor.
Not that I don't agree with him that there should be some form of severance, particularly for those who lose at the polls, but perhaps he should hire a financial planner if that is the case. Unless he lives in a really fancy house and very extravagantly, he should be able to save enough money to go for 6 months after he leaves office. He has a guaranteed cheque for 4 years, 1/3 of it tax-free and probably more of his own expenses paid for that he rightfully should have (not him specifically but all of our civic politicians) which is a whole lot more than the vast majority of his constituents could ever aspire to.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:26 AM
I am a typical

Being a city councillor isn't a full time job, why would it offer a severance package?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Being a city councillor isn't a full time job, why would it offer a severance package?
It's a full-time job in a city the size of Winnipeg.

The severance should be very small. They have 4 years to budget for the fact they might need to find a job.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 5:12 AM

Eadie's excuse to continue is that he says that he is "unemployable" in the real world and needs the money to transition until he finds an employer that will hire somebody with special needs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Eadie's excuse to continue is that he says that he is "unemployable" in the real world and needs the money to transition until he finds an employer that will hire somebody with special needs.
Not to put too fine a point on this, but what does it say about the state of our city's council that a guy who is by his own account 'unemployable' in the open market is controlling the expenditure of hundreds of millions of civic funds?

At the very least it means that Jenny Gerbasi should be on the breadline and at the welfare office the moment a reasonable critical mass of gentrification has taken place in Wolseley...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:25 PM

I don't have a problem with 'unconventional people' being our elected representatives to council. In theory the real talent should be the senior government employees.

In any case, Eadie must understand that he's not the norm, most elected officials are immediately hire-able outside of council, and we shouldn't be making broad rules/concessions for special cases that should be resolved in other specific ways.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I don't have a problem with 'unconventional people' being our elected representatives to council. In theory the real talent should be the senior government employees.

In any case, Eadie must understand that he's not the norm, most elected officials are immediately hire-able outside of council, and we shouldn't be making broad rules/concessions for special cases that should be resolved in other specific ways.
I was saying that somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Ross Eadie, aside from being blind, isn't stupid. He's intentionally over-stating the situation in an effort to extract concessions.

But as somebody who is completely blind, wouldn't Eadie have access to a broad array of other government disability programs ostensibly in place to handle the very predicament he's speaking about?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
But as somebody who is completely blind, wouldn't Eadie have access to a broad array of other government disability programs ostensibly in place to handle the very predicament he's speaking about?
Ya, that's what I was thinking. There's other resources to use.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan