Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I'm wondering what's taking so long...

Read the first page of this thread.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Read the first page of this thread.
I saw that, I'm referring to the turn in conversation.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
A.T. Kearney's annual Global Cities Report, 2018

https://www.atkearney.com/2018-globa...alGlobalCities

1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Los Angeles
7. Singapore
8. Beijing
9. Chicago
10. Brussels
11. Washington, DC
12. Seoul
13. Madrid
14. Moscow
15. Sydney
16. Berlin
17. Melbourne
18. Toronto
19. Shanghai
20. San Francisco
21. Vienna
Move these up: SF, Shanghai belong up near the top w/ NYC, London, Paris, L.A. & Toronto should move up

Move these down the list a bit: Singapore, Madrid, Brussels

Possibly delete Vienna? Very influential in 19th century as center of A-H empire & world capital of music and culture, but probably only #30 or so today.

Possibly add Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mumbai (Bombay), Rome (maybe)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:42 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i don’t think shanghai is nearly as influential as hong kong yet but in some ways its more influential than beijing except for the fact that it isn’t the capital (and so isn't). tokyo is probably too high and should at least swap with los angeles. d.c. and san francisco should be above chicago...

in general the u.s. and china need to be shifted up a bit...that much australia probably shouldnt be on there...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
tokyo is probably too high and should at least swap with los angeles.
I think insularity doesn't help Tokyo to be deemed as influential as it actually is.
Being stuck on an island is still some kind of peculiar situation. We've been realizing in my country because Corsica... Guys out there, stuck on their island sometimes show some odd attitudes, not always exactly standard to our own continental habits.
Then the same would go to London, somehow.
Tokyo is nonetheless pretty huge in pop culture. Like that graphical manga thing of theirs, most famously. But also electronics, robotics and stuff. It's just like the largest metropolis in the world.

Paris owes its fame and wealth only to the ancient French monarchy and to the violent Jacobins that won the fight against the Girondins during the French Revolution.
The Jacobins wanted to enforce equality all over territories. They were obsessed with the concept of equality and uniform development. So they centralized all powers on the capital city, to annihilate any feeling of rivalry between other cities.
The Girondins were basically much softer, and advocated a system like a federal republic. Had they prevailed, France would be pretty much like Germany, Switzerland or Italy. Power would actually be more equally distributed over France's regions.

I'm a Girondin. I think it's better justice. Paris is too big and far too exhausting compared to the rest of this country.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 12:28 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

(generally) agreed about tokyo, i dont think it should be above los angeles, though. los angeles has a longer reach.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I think insularity doesn't help Tokyo to be deemed as influential as it actually is.
Being stuck on an island is still some kind of peculiar situation. We've been realizing in my country because Corsica... Guys out there, stuck on their island sometimes show some odd attitudes, not always exactly standard to our own continental habits.
Tokyo is nonetheless pretty huge in pop culture. Like that graphical manga thing of theirs, most famously. But also electronics, robotics and stuff. It's just like the largest metropolis in the world.

Paris owes its fame and wealth only to the ancient French monarchy and to the violent Jacobins that won the fight against the Girondins during the French Revolution.
The Jacobins wanted to enforce equality all over territories. They were obsessed with the concept of equality and uniform development. So they centralized all powers on the capital city, to annihilate any feeling of rivalry between other cities.
The Girondins were basically much softer, and advocated a system like a federal republic. Had they prevailed, France would be pretty much like Germany, Switzerland or Italy. Power would actually be more equally distributed over France's regions.

I'm a Girondin. I think it's better justice. Paris is too big and far too exhausting compared to the rest of this country.

You must be a fan of Michel Onfray, me too.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

You must be a fan of Michel Onfray, me too.

The only thing I would change in Paris is the gas powered scooters. If Hidalgo had a way to enact a switch to electric powered scooters, that would make life a lot more pleasant. I just spent a week in New York, and it is a lot quieter than Paris for that reason. The noise comes from the occasional muscle car or motorcycle, bar your cops or first responders.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:35 PM

LOL @ Melbourne, not even top 60.

Vienna hasn't had influence in Europe since the 1920's, much less the world.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
(generally) agreed about tokyo, i dont think it should be above los angeles, though. los angeles has a longer reach.
Tokyo has Godzilla. What does LA have?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
history's greatest monster:

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Simmons

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:35 PM

Yea, Vienna was very high in the 19th century. I've been there now, its a pretty sleepy and quiet city with some nice museums that seems stuck in the 19th century. I don't think it should be on the list either. DC should be in the top 5, lets face it the US is the Modern Roman Empire for good or ill. And DC is the capital of new Rome.

Brussels has the EU Parliament, its sort of the unofficial capital of the EU, so I guess it is higher for that. Otherwise, the city itself isn't that powerful.
I don't think Madrid is very influential either. I'd swap Rome for Madrid, because of the Pope is still pretty symbolically influential around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Move these up: SF, Shanghai belong up near the top w/ NYC, London, Paris, L.A. & Toronto should move up

Move these down the list a bit: Singapore, Madrid, Brussels

Possibly delete Vienna? Very influential in 19th century as center of A-H empire & world capital of music and culture, but probably only #30 or so today.

Possibly add Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mumbai (Bombay), Rome (maybe)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I just spent a week in New York, and it is a lot quieter than Paris for that reason. The noise comes from the occasional muscle car or motorcycle, bar your cops or first responders.
I don't know if I'm getting old or something, but all of the cities in France and Italy sound very loud to me lately, because of scooters. There's just this constant background racket.

Rome is the worst, but Paris, at least on the major avenues, is just really loud, at least compared to North America or "non-scooter Europe" (most of Northern Europe). After walking around Rome all day my ears are ringing like I was at a concert.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Possibly delete Vienna? Very influential in 19th century as center of A-H empire & world capital of music and culture, but probably only #30 or so today....
Well Vienna does have the highest quality of life rankings based on other lists (Mercer, specifically), as well as being one of the 4 main U.N. office cities, as well as the headquarters of OPEC (regardless of what one thinks of that cartel), as well as being considered the critical bridge/nexus between Eastern/Western Europe. So in short, Vienna is still very important, even though it isn't head of an empire

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Richard Simmons has helped countless women and men get healthy, lose weight, feel better about themselves and get over their sinister pizza addictions...the only terror that monster brings is love. Leave him alone.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Aliens:

Video Link

But, of course, what can top:

Video Link

and, considering the focus of this site:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

I thought Richard Simmons was New Orleans?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I thought Richard Simmons was New Orleans?
he was born and raised in new orleans, but he's been living in LA for the past 4 decades.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Full House far scarier than any burning skyscraper or huge sea-monster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions