HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:03 PM

In Praise of Gentrification

Quote:
In Praise of Gentrification

Accusations levelled at gentrification in America lack force, meanwhile its benefits go unsung.

Jun 21st 2018 | NEW YORK, OAKLAND AND WASHINGTON, DC

GENTRIFIER has surpassed many worthier slurs to become the dirtiest word in American cities. In the popular telling, hordes of well-to-do whites are descending upon poor, minority neighbourhoods that were made to endure decades of discrimination. With their avocado on toast, beard oil and cappuccinos, these people snuff out local culture. As rents rise, lifelong residents are evicted and forced to leave. In this view, the quintessential scene might be one witnessed in Oakland, California, where a miserable-looking homeless encampment rests a mere ten-minute walk from a Whole Foods landscaped with palm trees and bougainvillea, offering chia and flax seed upon entry. An ancient, sinister force lurks behind the overpriced produce. “‘Gentrification’ is but a more pleasing name for white supremacy,” wrote Ta-Nehisi Coates. It is “the interest on enslavement, the interest on Jim Crow, the interest on redlining, compounding across the years.”

This story is better described as an urban myth. The supposed ills of gentrification—which might be more neutrally defined as poorer urban neighbourhoods becoming wealthier—lack rigorous support. The most careful empirical analyses conducted by urban economists have failed to detect a rise in displacement within gentrifying neighbourhoods. Often, they find that poor residents are more likely to stay put if they live in these areas. At the same time, the benefits of gentrification are scarcely considered. Longtime residents reap the rewards of reduced crime and better amenities. Those lucky enough to own their homes come out richer. The left usually bemoans the lack of investment in historically non-white neighbourhoods, white flight from city centres and economic segregation. Yet gentrification straightforwardly reverses each of those regrettable trends.

The anti-gentrification brigades often cite anecdotes from residents forced to move. Yet the data suggest a different story. An influential study by Lance Freeman and Frank Braconi found that poor residents living in New York’s gentrifying neighbourhoods during the 1990s were actually less likely to move than poor residents of non-gentrifying areas. A follow-up study by Mr Freeman, using a nationwide sample, found scant association between gentrification and displacement. A more recent examination found that financially vulnerable residents in Philadelphia—those with low credit scores and no mortgages—are no more likely to move if they live in a gentrifying neighbourhood.

These studies undermine the widely held belief that for every horrid kale-munching millennial moving in, one longtime resident must be chucked out. The surprising result is explained by three underlying trends.

The first is that poor Americans are obliged to move very frequently, regardless of the circumstances of their district, as the Princeton sociologist Matthew Desmond so harrowingly demonstrated in his research on eviction. The second is that poor neighbourhoods have lacked investment for decades, and so have considerable slack in their commercial and residential property markets. A lot of wealthier city dwellers can thus move in without pushing out incumbent residents or businesses. “Given the typical pattern of low-income renter mobility in New York City, a neighbourhood could go from a 30% poverty population to 12% in as few as ten years without any displacement whatsoever,” noted Messrs Freeman and Braconi in their study. Indeed, the number of poor people living in New York’s gentrifying neighbourhoods barely budged from 1990 to 2014, according to a study by New York University’s Furman Centre. Third, city governments often promote affordable-housing schemes, such as rent control or stabilisation, in response to rising rents.

Gentrification has been so thoroughly demonised that a mere discussion of its benefits might seem subversive. That does not make them any less real. Residents of gentrifying neighbourhoods who own their homes have reaped considerable windfalls. One black resident of Logan Circle, a residential district in downtown Washington, bought his home in 1993 for $130,000. He recently sold it for $1.6m. Businesses gain from having more customers, with more to spend. Having new shops, like well-stocked grocery stores, and sources of employment nearby can reduce commuting costs and time. Tax collection surges and so does political clout. Crime, already on the decline in American city centres, seems to fall even further in gentrifying neighbourhoods, as MIT economists observed after Cambridge, Massachusetts, undid its rent-control scheme.

Those who bemoan segregation and gentrification simultaneously risk contradiction. The introduction of affluent, white residents into poor, minority districts boosts racial and economic integration. It can dilute the concentration of poverty—which a mountain of economic and sociological literature has linked to all manner of poor outcomes, including teenage pregnancy, incarceration and early death. Gentrification steers cash into deprived neighbourhoods and brings people into depopulated areas through market forces, all without the necessity of governmental intervention. The Trump administration is unlikely to offer large infusions of cash to dilapidated cities. In these circumstances, arguing against gentrification can amount to insistence that poor neighbourhoods remain poor and that racially segregated neighbourhoods stay cut off.

What, then, accounts for the antipathy towards gentrification? The first reason is financial. Though the process has been going on for a few decades, the increased attention comes in the middle of a broader concern about the cost of housing in American cities. The share of households that are “rent burdened”—those spending more than 30% of pre-tax income on rent—has increased from 32% in 2001 to 38% in 2015. Things are worse among the poor; 52% of those below the federal poverty line spend over half their income on housing. Rents have risen dramatically, though this can be the fault of thoughtless regulations which hinder supply more than the malevolence of gentrifiers. The net creation of jobs has outpaced additional housing in New York City by a rate of two to one. In San Francisco, perhaps the most restricted American metropolitan area, this ratio is eight to one.

A second reason gentrification is disliked is culture. The argument is that the arrival of yuppie professionals sipping kombucha will alter the character of a place in an unseemly way. “Don’t Brooklyn my Detroit” T-shirts are now a common sight in Motor City. In truth, Detroit would do well with a bit more Brooklyn. Across big American cities, for every gentrifying neighbourhood ten remain poor. Opposing gentrification has become a way for people to display their anti-racist bona fides. This leads to the exaggerated equation of gentrification with white supremacy. Such objections parallel those made by white NIMBYs who fret that a new bus stop or apartment complex will bring people who might also alter the culture of their neighbourhood—for the worse...

More here: https://www.economist.com/united-sta...on?frsc=dg%7Ce
You all will be horrified to discover that gentrification doesn't actually displace people despite the littany of ancedotes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:28 PM

Of course a capitalist publication like "The Economist" will support gentrification, so, it is basically preaching to the choir for the people who read "The Economist."

I've seen the effects of gentrification on the people it displaces and know some people who have been displaced by it; gentrification also affects old people of all ethnic backgrounds who are on a fixed income. That may be anecdotal, but it isn't false.

I really think that many people only see the cosmetic changes of gentrification and base their opinion about it solely on that, but there's a bigger picture, and other people are definitely negatively impacted by it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:31 PM

Gentrification is such a silly word. It's really just a neighborhood improving. Great article from the Economist. It's the only magazine I subscribe to.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

Terrible article that doesn't even understand the meaning of the term. There are pros and cons of actual gentrification, but this is so far off base it's not even worth getting into it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Terrible article that doesn't even understand the meaning of the term. There are pros and cons of actual gentrification, but this is so far off base it's not even worth getting into it.
What is the meaning of the word, then?

And are you disputing the work of scholars like Lance Freeman who have repeatedly shown that gentrification reduces displacement by the poor (which should be obvious as the poor will want to stay in a nice neighborhood)?

Freeman (who I know) isn't some right winger or whore to the market. He's a left-wing Ivy League African American academic.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:46 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What is the meaning of the word, then?

And are you disputing the work of scholars like Lance Freeman who have repeatedly shown that gentrification reduces displacement by the poor (which should be obvious as the poor will want to stay in a nice neighborhood).

The "return of the gentry". Early work on gentrification coined the term which was literally based around displacement. There was particular focus on "revanchist" gentrification but the key requirement is displacement. Lately the term has been conflated with revitalization, which is an entirely different thing. Even on this site most of the cited positives of gentrification are describing a different process.

I essentially did my Master's on the subject and have what amounts to a mini academic library of books and journals on my shelf at home. Lance Freeman is not particularly respected in his field, and I don't consider myself to be particularly anti gentrification. Part of my research focused on the positive aspects.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
The "return of the gentry". Early work on gentrification coined the term which was literally based around displacement.
Gentrification "literally" does not cause displacement. It doesn't make any sense. Poor tenants in high cost cities don't live in market rate housing. Residents, of any income band, are more likely to stay in an area with rising fortunes as opposed to declining fortunes.

Quote:
Lance Freeman is not particularly respected in his field,
I guess that's why he's a tenured Ivy League professor in one of the best urban planning schools on the planet, as about as well known as any academic in this specific field?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:05 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Gentrification "literally" does not cause displacement. It doesn't make any sense. Poor tenants in high cost cities don't live in market rate housing. Residents, of any income band, are more likely to stay in an area with rising fortunes as opposed to declining fortunes.

You are ignoring the historical context of the term. HINT - how and where was it coined? What's going on in certain American cities isn't the end-all, be-all. Neil Smith was writing about this before Lance Freeman had left grade school.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:13 PM

Gentry? In modern America? The term is stupid.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Gentry? In modern America? The term is stupid.
Yeah we call them baby boomers now.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Poor tenants in high cost cities don't live in market rate housing.
Some do in cities with rent control like mine and since we have vacancy decontrol, if the landlord can get them to move out--either by harrassing them or by offering them a big payment--he can renovate some and jack up the rent tremendously.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You all will be horrified to discover that gentrification doesn't actually displace people despite the littany of ancedotes.
Good article. Sadly, I wouldn't expect much traction on this, since quite honestly I think the issue [gentrification] has long past being able to be seen and discussed on a outcomes/objective basis rather than an ideological/cultural/emotional one.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:41 PM
An Optimistic Realist

The thing about this topic is that the cultural shift has already been set. It will be a struggle to change that perception because it has essentially been the dominant worldview in late 20th/ early 21st century America. That's just the reality.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 8:22 PM

Gentrification is just one period of the constant change neighborhoods go through. What I hate about those opposed to gentrification is this idea that a neighborhood that is currently poor and [insert dominant ethnic group/race] must remain so forever.

Take for example Point Breeze in Philadelphia (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
The earliest references to Point Breeze" as a neighborhood "date to 1895." The area was first settled by working-class European Jewish immigrants followed by Italian and Irish immigrants. In 1930s the neighborhood saw an influx of African Americans some of which were involved in The Great Migration escaping Jim Crow in the South and looking for work in the urban centers of the north. Through the 1960s Point Breeze was reported to be a safe, clean, relatively integrated and self-sufficient neighborhood with a thriving business district along Point Breeze Avenue itself known to residents as "The Breeze."
Like other gentrifying neighborhoods, things got much worse in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, before the area turned a corner and started to attract developers and people priced out of neighboring areas closer to the core.

So who decides, that, despite a history of changing demographics, that no further changes are permitted and a neighborhood must stay poor and only populated by the existing race/ethnic group? It's utterly ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 8:46 PM

Although there is definitely quite a bit going on, displaced isn't the fully encompassing word for what is causing the anxiety. Replaced is equally accurate, maybe more so.

They may not be tossing granny out on the street in Bedford-Stuyvesant, but they are not going to let her kids and grandkids keep her valuable apartment once she's gone.

I'm not even anti-gentrification. I will often argue the anti-gentrification side on this forum because of the "how dare you not like it!" sentiment. I think it's healthy for a city, to an extent, but I have yet to see anecdotal evidence that it is actually fixing America's most entrenched social ills: racial segregation, economic inequality. I live in a neighborhood that is extremely diverse on paper, but there is almost zero social overlap between the predominantly black and latino long-time residents, and the significantly more affluent and significantly white newcomers. It feels like the two groups are occupying the same space but in a different dimension.

I think it is highly unlikely that the descendants of longtime residents of the neighborhood will attend better schools and build better connected social networks. This is what would be the logical outcome of gentrification if the residents indeed are not being displaced/replaced, as the article suggests.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 8:59 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Ha! We all know Oakland was far before off in the sixties when the panthers ran things.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:20 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I will say that I am not against the idea of gentrification in the way it improves neighborhoods economically. However, I am against the resulting effect in which a neighborhood not only loses its character but becomes devoid of any character.

To be frank, rich white yuppie professionals are everywhere in this country's cities. Every. Freaking. Where. They are pretty much all the same no matter where you go. They all like chain coffee places like Starbucks, use Amazon prime for shopping, buy food at Whole Foods or some of those delivery food kit companies. I can name more, but that's what I got so far.

Anyways, I hope that this article is right and that gentrification is good. However, I want our cities to continue being very interesting overall. The rich white yuppie professionals can have their neighborhoods like Williamsburg in Brooklyn, but if they are the only ones that can turn a neighborhood upside down, well that absolutely sucks. More Starbucks and Whole Foods I guess.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:21 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Ha! We all know Oakland was far before off in the sixties when the panthers ran things.
Well, how did you think Oakland got that way in the 60s?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:43 PM

The problem isn't with the changes of neighborhoods per se, rather that the changes are mostly contingent of certain demographic(s) (usually whites of at least decent wealth) throwing weight. They don't mind abandoning communities because a few too many minorities are moving in, but they also want to force themselves back because of the "good bones" that the suburbs were missing.

There's nothing wrong with improving the neighborhoods, but the people who already living there likely won't reap the benefits.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Although there is definitely quite a bit going on, displaced isn't the fully encompassing word for what is causing the anxiety. Replaced is equally accurate, maybe more so.

They may not be tossing granny out on the street in Bedford-Stuyvesant, but they are not going to let her kids and grandkids keep her valuable apartment once she's gone.

I'm not even anti-gentrification. I will often argue the anti-gentrification side on this forum because of the "how dare you not like it!" sentiment. I think it's healthy for a city, to an extent, but I have yet to see anecdotal evidence that it is actually fixing America's most entrenched social ills: racial segregation, economic inequality. I live in a neighborhood that is extremely diverse on paper, but there is almost zero social overlap between the predominantly black and latino long-time residents, and the significantly more affluent and significantly white newcomers. It feels like the two groups are occupying the same space but in a different dimension.

I think it is highly unlikely that the descendants of longtime residents of the neighborhood will attend better schools and build better connected social networks. This is what would be the logical outcome of gentrification if the residents indeed are not being displaced/replaced, as the article suggests.

I mean, fuck granny. We don’t need anymore subsidies for the rich. Let’s get on that 100% inheritance tax for anything over a million, including property, trust funds, charities, and any other damn tax cheat that exists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions