HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:27 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
I went down and checked it out. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw someone tweet about Lilac Fest, and lucky for me there was still plenty of time for me to walk down. On the way out the door I thought "Oh, I should bring my camera. Ah forget it, there will be tons of photos posted on SSP." Looks like a lot of the photographers I had thought would make it down didn't. It was perfect weather this year.

I think it's time for the event to expand a few blocks. Maybe go to 12th Ave. to the north (it ended at 13th) and expand a block or two in each direction on 17th Ave.
Thanks for bringing that up, because 17th ave was indeed blocked off from 1st st sw, to 5th st, and then again from 5th st to 8th st. Yet there was nothing on 17th, there were barricades discouraging access from 4th street to 17th as well. I couldn't understand why they would block off a large section of 17th ave but not use it for anything that could spread out the crowd.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:29 PM
Here and There

That looks like about 7:30 or 8am?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Thanks for bringing that up, because 17th ave was indeed blocked off from 1st st sw, to 5th st, and then again from 5th st to 8th st. Yet there was nothing on 17th, there were barricades discouraging access from 4th street to 17th as well. I couldn't understand why they would block off a large section of 17th ave but not use it for anything that could spread out the crowd.
Partially it was just to prevent people from getting stuck where it dead-ended. It would be an idea to get it to go down 17th ave a bit as well, but that might take convincing the Uptown 17 BRZ to get involved (Lilac Fest is organized by the 4th Street BRZ)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:26 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Partially it was just to prevent people from getting stuck where it dead-ended. It would be an idea to get it to go down 17th ave a bit as well, but that might take convincing the Uptown 17 BRZ to get involved (Lilac Fest is organized by the 4th Street BRZ)
Well at least it shows that blocking off the streets isn't something that can't be done. Good point on getting the BRZs to do something jointly. I don't think the Uptown 17th brz does any sort of festival, so maybe this is a discussion whose time has come.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Well at least it shows that blocking off the streets isn't something that can't be done. Good point on getting the BRZs to do something jointly. I don't think the Uptown 17th brz does any sort of festival, so maybe this is a discussion whose time has come.
Lets hope so. I've heard rumors that there is a leadership change coming to Uptown 17, so maybe the new people running it will explore that option.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 3:34 PM

17 ave was closed off(one side of it heading west) from 1st street all the way to 14st for the scotiabank marathon and centour subaru half marathon. I should know as I took part in it well the half marathon(21k)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:13 PM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
17 ave was closed off(one side of it heading west) from 1st street all the way to 14st for the scotiabank marathon and centour subaru half marathon. I should know as I took part in it well the half marathon(21k)
I didn't know about that, but I took part in the Jugo Juice 10k.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:47 PM

jugo juice start was at 7:30 we started at 7am in bridgeland across memorial on that zoo bridge over the river down towards shamrock inn and lilydale up to spiller road then headed north to that bridge by the city bus depo, then onto 12 ave towards 1st street sw, then up to 17ave all the way to 14street then north on 14th onto memorial heading west towards extreme bean coffee shop, turned back on memorial there and headed to the finish in bridgeland where the old general hospital use to be. great run I must say did it in 2 hours and 50 seconds....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 8:51 PM
Westgate Newbie

Here are my Lilac Pics. They are mostly of my booth as I did not really leave it all day long. It was a LONG day.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos