HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:53 PM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more...cid=spartandhp

Its official. LA gets the 2028 summer olympics.

With a budget of 5.3 billion ? anyone know where that 5.3 billion will be going to ? i mean....Most of the major sporting venues are already built or already under construction. The Athletes will be housed at UCLA and USC? if i remember correctly.

It will be interesting to see if there will be an uptick in investment in the LA area now thats its official.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

With a budget of 5.3 billion ? anyone know where that 5.3 billion will be going to ? i mean....Most of the major sporting venues are already built or already under construction. The Athletes will be housed at UCLA and USC? if i remember correctly.

It will be interesting to see if there will be an uptick in investment in the LA area now thats its official.
http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2016/3...aralympics.pdf

page 15

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:26 PM

^^^ Thanks for that link. Seems like, projections, seem to make this yet another profitable game for LA yet again. Barely....But still profitable. Its kinda fun to know that we already have soooooooo many Stadiums/Arenas/Venues in place that we can handle it with the Clippers maybe getting their own arena in inglewood so another to possibly be able to use.

Now all we need is for the city to figure it out and completely tear down the convention center and rebuild it. It really is rather shabby. Even the 80s/90s addition on fig.
PLEASE go forward with the Populous design that was oddly picked literally 2 full years ago.

https://populous.com/news/2015/06/30...er-renovation/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

I sure hope so. We have 10 years to build, restore, and clean up. I have faith! The process has already been underway for a few years now. I would like to think it's all up from here! Figuratively and literally!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:04 AM

Question Luxe site?

http://planning.lacity.org/eir/1020S.../0.0%20NOA.pdf

So the FEIR for the Luxe was completed back in May, 2017 (obviously this year) and its still the 3 tower proposal. I thought someone posted that it was shrunk to 2 towers? if thats the case, why would the Luxe developers scrap the three tower proposal just to go alll the way back to the drawing boards and take years to get a new EIR done? OR is it still the 3 tower proposal?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:45 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:57 PM
SD/OC

Great to see LA transforming downtown with some of these new projects.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of buildings seem to be putting the parking above grade in the base/podium of the towers. San Diego puts pretty much all parking below grade as do many other cities. LA (and Miami) seem to put the parking in the tower's base. I would say there are pros and cons to both (cost being a big factor). Does anyone have any insight on this?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:19 PM
ridin4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Some recent shots:

Downtown LA Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

888 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

888 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Hotel Hoxton by Hunter, on Flickr

12th & Grand / Mack Urban by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa & Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

12th & Grand / Mack Urban by Hunter, on Flickr

1212 S Flower & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

20170909-DSC08325 by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis from LA Live by Hunter, on Flickr

La Plaza Cultura by Hunter, on Flickr

the first shot of downtown la over la brae pits is amazing...best shot ive ever seen...also la adding height is impressive...much luv from houston

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:31 PM

Hi NW290, thats actually from MacArthur Park, which is about 2 miles from downtown LA. The Tar Pits are about 7 miles away, so it would be a much more difficult shot at that elevation

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:39 PM

Re: Fig & Pico

Noticed in the rendering that the height for the City Lights tower, is listed at 723 feet. First I've seen. And what's with the towers pictured where the City Century triple tower development is to go? They don't appear to look like the renderings originally posted on pg 1, nor anywhere near as tall. I realize they are not this developers projects, but could just be taking up space on their rendering. Interesting, nonetheless.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Looks good!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Ah great, more glass boxes. So much for the repeal of the helipad requirement.

I just saw these renderings after having read this article from March:

How Art-Deco Glamour Is Fast Replacing Scandinavian Cool in L.A.

Is Modernism passé for the moment?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Great to see LA transforming downtown with some of these new projects.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of buildings seem to be putting the parking above grade in the base/podium of the towers. San Diego puts pretty much all parking below grade as do many other cities. LA (and Miami) seem to put the parking in the tower's base. I would say there are pros and cons to both (cost being a big factor). Does anyone have any insight on this?
Well, Miami has no choice but to put parking in the tower's base due to it water table issues. San Diego has a hight limitation so they would be wasting floor space by putting the parking above grade. My guess is it's purely economical with Los Angeles to do above grade parking.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I just saw these renderings after having read this article from March:

How Art-Deco Glamour Is Fast Replacing Scandinavian Cool in L.A.

Is Modernism passé for the moment?
Art Deco is coming back. Boy I'm getting old.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:03 PM
Architectural Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
The helipad requirement was never removed but was modified; the reason the Wilshire Grand was able to get away with the requirement was because during the permitting process, they were able to convince the City that their engineering and use of modern technology was suffice to bypass the need for a helipad. Hence why the Wilshire Grand went with a concrete core and extra structural engineering with those mid-level trusses within the tower. Even then, they still added that pad on top of the sail for first responders.

These new towers can potentially bypass the helipad requirements but for residential developers, the cost to engineer a building for an aesthetic purpose will not be worth the investment. The cost to build and engineer these box towers is already high enough as it is.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:44 PM
life is good

Pico Station development this AM (sorry it is blurry, was on the train)

construction at Pico station #dtla by robb, on Flickr

My view keeps getting better and better! Frankentower is rising

#springst #dtla Frankentower by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 11:47 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/1020-figuer...ing-commission

Fresh renderings for 1020 as it was approved today.

Floor count for tower 2 was raised to 49 floors. Standing at 540 feet tall, it'll be noticeable slender, and be somewhat similar in height to the 40 story twins of Oceanwide. Tower 2 stayed at 29 floors, but it's height will be 430. Slightly taller than Circa.

7th & Maple recieved a small update to it's podium and it was also approved today. Both projects were moved from proposed to approved.

Cross your fingers that both projects join 4th & Broadway before the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 4:41 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Even though many have proclaimed the design a downgrade, I prefer it to the previous iteration.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 9:43 AM

What percentage of downtown construction is funded by Chinese, Korean & Canadian companies & investors? If these flows dwindle, will American investors and companies pick up the torch? I think so. Housing is still in short supply, especially at the affordable end. Funds in search of returns will pick up the torch. 1% interest rates on savings just don't pay the bills. Rentals give 10 times the return. So the boom should continue, with periodic slowdowns, even if foreigners pull up stakes. Unless there is a major economic recession (possible), the boom may extend until the 2028 Olympics, with a few pauses perhaps.

Hopefully L.A. will get its masterpiece in the next 10 years, a 1200-1500 foot architectural gem and skyline exclamation point. Neo Art Deco please, but just good design in any style would do. Empire State magnificence. A city of 4 million and urban conglomeration of 17 million deserves it, a true center point. A building visible for 50 miles on a clear day. A landmark at the center.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
What percentage of downtown construction is funded by Chinese, Korean & Canadian companies & investors? If these flows dwindle, will American investors and companies pick up the torch?
For the Chinese (and others), overseas investing is more about finding a safe haven than seeking high returns. The reason for the Chinese investment here is to minimize economic losses back home. So I wouldn't count on American investors "picking up the torch" as it were. At least not in these expensive, showy projects. But I do not see the Chinese "pulling up stakes" until there is a major political or economic disruption, so we might see a super-tall. But I kind of doubt we will any time soon. We are entering a slowdown. What effect the Olympics will have on development will largely depend on what the city chooses to focus on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations