HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:11 AM

[QUOTE=Blesha13;8398286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post

Yes. Metropolis as well with Tower IV.
At least for Oceanwide, there were people working last week.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:58 AM

Wow!! Nice pics WonderlandPark2-thoes are phenomenally gorgeous!!

Yeah I'm wondering whats the wait for the steel crowns at Oceanwide? Is there a steel shortage? I know back in my home state of Colorado there's still a steel mill running strong in Pueblo.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Assorted DTLA shots from the last week-ish:

Ok. So the Onni exterior on these suck. I'd rather they just wrap them in a dark glass....and I see the 1133 tower is picking up speed but why would they pick that bright white for the exterior ? Its going to have to constantly get cleaned with the LA smog.

Any news on the Fig+Pico towers?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 1:38 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Onni Towers are horrible in person - that picture makes them look much better than they normally do. 1212 Flower doesn't look that bad in that picture either, but I haven't seen it up close. These towers make me very skeptical of future Onni developments, to be perfectly honest.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 4:10 AM

I walk past the Onni towers and 1133 everyday, and they honestly seem to be the exact same materials and very similar design. They are that light blue color. The dark blue stripe going up the Onni towers is just hideous.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 10:39 AM
Paramoderator

You wanted Vancouver you get Vancouver.

EDIT:

Also with the people talking about construction halts: just because the pretty cranes aren't twirling doesn't mean there is no construction. Projects this size need tons of interior work. Construction soldiers on, even if you can't tell.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:32 PM

I went to LA last month and I gotta say, the downtown skyline is shaping well!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I went to LA last month and I gotta say, the downtown skyline is shaping well!
Add maybe 3 or 4 more towers between 12th and Olympic, South Park is going to be amazing!!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Assorted DTLA shots from the last week-ish:

It wasn't all that long ago that part of dt was needing mainly this...

^ I was around Flower St near Pico during the evening a few months ago. A lot more backhoe work is needed.

Quote:

Clifton's Is Going To Stop Being A Cafeteria And Become A Food Hall

Diners pay for their meals in Clifton's Cafeteria in downtown L.A., in 2015. (Photo by Paul Narvaez/Flickr Creative Commons)

The cafeteria at Clifton's has been closed for two-and-a-half months, as we noted last week after Franklin Avenue pointed it out. Now, we know what's going to become of it.

Proprietor Andrew Meiran, who also oversees the Edison, confirmed that the cafeteria at Clifton's has been closed since mid-September, but he hopes to re-reopen it in the first few months of 2019 — after he transforms it into a high-end food hall.

Meiran says workers are busy right now, turning the cafeteria at Clifton's into the Exposition Marketplace, which will have seven different stations that offer salads, sandwiches, hot items and desserts. Each station in the marketplace will function like a mini-market or a deli with pre-packaged items and/or foods that you can buy for takeaway or eat on the premises.

Why another revamp only a few years after completing a splashy, nearly half-decade renovation?

"We ran up against a perception issue," Meiran says. He thinks part of the problem is the word "cafeteria."

"When people think of a cafeteria, they think institution. It's food in the pans and plopped on the plate. That isn't the way people contemporary like to eat. It created a weird dilemma for us from day one. We were too expensive and potentially going off the mark for some people. Then we weren't enough in terms of raising the bar for a whole group of other people. And that's kind of a no-win situation," he says.

He compares the upcoming iteration of Clifton's to luxe food halls like Eataly or Harrod's in London, although he emphasizes that the cost will not be like Harrod's.

Items will still be priced "within reason," according to Meiran, and focused on local, organic ingredients.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
It wasn't all that long ago that part of dt was needing mainly this...

I still think downtown needs a lot of this, especially east of Broadway, but even in that picture with the Onni towers, those 1-2 story non distinct buildings need to seriously be torn down asap. they've outgrown their welcome.

I know someone on here will be like

"Wait, check its historical status! it might be very old and should be preserved"

But enough is enough. Unless the building has some historical significance, they all need to go. And by historical, I mean more than just "being old"

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
they've outgrown their welcome.
Even back when those bldgs were much younger, ppl weren't exactly thrilled with dtla. That's the main reason it declined so far to begin with. It wasn't due to just fwys, cars, issues of crime & homelessness....which weren't even as serious over 40 yrs ago as they've become today. Lots of ppl wanted to abandon dt for other reasons.

this view won't make most ppl feel, wow! LA is a great looking city....

Los Angeles Revisited

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 AM

Has to be the worst interchange In LA, besides the spaghetti bowl that is the East LA interchange. I'm not for more freeways, since we've seen how that worked out for us, but I wouldn't totally be against using money for this interchange to be torn down and rebuilt on a smaller foot print. Doesn't make any sense the way its built now. Who in their right might thought it would be an amazing idea to wrap an on ramp around a cluster of buildings ?

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:28 PM

It could be amazing if one day they tear down that interchange. Even considering only one point, imagine how much land would be available for housing, community amenities etc.

Also seeing that picture and that freeway is so depression, it divides the city and it's a barrier between the Downtown and its surroundings.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 AM

Lightbulb

Perhaps the first architectural casualties of the great recession. Not to make anyone cry by opening up old but still sore wounds but... now that the Pereira tumor on the times building isn't being preserved, anybody else agree that Onni should ditch the glass generic boxes it plans to build and instead should dust these off, put their own little modern spin on them and make all of us very happy ? I think these would fit a whole lot better next to the Times building than those glass boxes. Doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice for a change.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I wouldn't trust Onni to do something like this. The value engineering on the 12th and Flower project would not bode well for a design like this. That being said, I would love to see a RAMSA-designed neo-classical or ShoP-designed neo art deco tower in downtown and/or in mid-Wilshire near one of the new Purple line stations, and agree that this location would be a good one for that. Just not with Onni controlling the money.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:12 PM

This morning, snowy mountains

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:06 PM

Great photo WP!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:13 PM

^ Phenomenally gorgeous pic!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
This morning, snowy mountains

Never seen the skyline from this angle before.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 11:10 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

Perhaps the first architectural casualties of the great recession. Not to make anyone cry by opening up old but still sore wounds but... now that the Pereira tumor on the times building isn't being preserved, anybody else agree that Onni should ditch the glass generic boxes it plans to build and instead should dust these off, put their own little modern spin on them and make all of us very happy ? I think these would fit a whole lot better next to the Times building than those glass boxes. Doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice for a change.
YES AND I LOVE YOU

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations