HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:28 PM
Paramoderator

So happy we are getting our very own slice of Australian architecture. Visiting Melbourne is a downright magical experience. Of course, I'll be shocked if this ever actually breaks ground...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quixote, bhunsberger, and BillinGlendaleCA, those are truly excellent photos. Thank you for sharing and well done!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Quixote, bhunsberger, and BillinGlendaleCA, those are truly excellent photos. Thank you for sharing and well done!!

Ditto. The LA Times published a photo today of the skyline & snowy mountains from K. Hahn Park, but all of the photos here are much much better! Calendar/post card quality.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:35 PM

Supertall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Australian-based architect Koichi Takada designs LA tower inspired by California Redwoods

https://www.commercialrealestate.com...nian-redwoods/

Supertall? Maybe not quite. 850-900 feet perhaps?? Looks about 2X the height of Occidental/Transamerica/USC tower to the left (452'), so 900' approximately would be my guesstimate. Still would be awesome for the area & not another boring flattop. Maybe add a spire, but maybe with the slanted top it wouldn't need one? Maybe spires are becoming a bit cliche? I agree with Illithid Dude, it does look "Melbournesque" in a good way, or maybe "Torontoesque"?

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 7, 2019 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:14 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I agree with Illithid Dude, it does look "Melbournesque" in a good way, or maybe "Torontoesque"?
Well the building is being designed by a prominent Sydney architect, hence my descriptor. Regardless, I almost feel like this is too good to be true.

I give this proposal a... 20% chance of breaking ground within the next ten years. See y'all in 2030!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:18 AM
DENNAB

I really dig the sky gardens, and the facade.

Definitely one of my favorite US proposals at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:09 AM

Amazing photos of the snow capped mountains! Nothing is prettier than LA on a clear day. Fill the gap between Oceanwide and the Ritz and LA will be the best looking skyline in the USA with that backdrop. Is there any projects under construction or proposed that would do this?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Amazing photos of the snow capped mountains! Nothing is prettier than LA on a clear day. Fill the gap between Oceanwide and the Ritz and LA will be the best looking skyline in the USA with that backdrop. Is there any projects under construction or proposed that would do this?
Depending on the angle...the W Hotel will help. And possibly 9th and Fig, or the Olympic Tower.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
I have had the same thought! The luxe redevelopment and the proposed mack urban tower directly north of USC building would really help to connect the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:13 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Depending on the angle...the W Hotel will help. And possibly 9th and Fig, or the Olympic Tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I have had the same thought! The luxe redevelopment and the proposed mack urban tower directly north of USC building would really help to connect the skyline.
This latest proposal is a dynamo, but perhaps some of you in the know can assuage my concerns about the viability of the tallest projects currently proposed. I've always believed LA deserved a much more impressive skyline for both its size and its cultural and economic impact. The news lately of the pullback in Asian investments in the US, particularly the West Coast, and the delays at Oceanwide rattled my confidence a bit in the current construction boom, despite the ongoing housing crisis in the LA region and California.

I'm focusing on the tallest projects with greatest potential skyline impact...what's the consensus on the following?

333 South Figueroa
925 South Figueroa
11th/Olive (Crescent Heights)
Angel's Knoll
Luxe/W Hotel (Shenzhen Hazens)
Olympia Towers (City Century)
Olympic Tower
Olympic/Hill (Onni)
..and now SkyTrees

feel free to enlighten on other significant proposals I might have forgotten

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Australian-based architect Koichi Takada designs LA tower inspired by California Redwoods

https://www.commercialrealestate.com...nian-redwoods/

Yep, when I see that, I immediately think “redwood”

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post

Quixote, bhunsberger, BillinGlendale: would you please post your exceptional new L.A. skyline/mountain photos from K. Hahn on the "Skyline Pictures" thread here (Photography Forum/Found City Photos/Skyline Pictures) so all can be dazzled by them. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Great panorama shot from Mt. Wilson to Baldy & Cucamonga Peak on the right. Look at all that green. Any more rain & bracken ferns will start growing. It would be great to have a panorama pic going from the ocean on the west, Century City, Hollywood, DTLA all the way to Mt.San Jacinto. Would probably have to combine three or more photos.
I've tried to shoot that panorama, you can't shoot it from that location due to houses to the west; but there is a place further to the northwest that does have that view, unfortunately there are power lines that run though the view to to the east

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:04 AM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
This latest proposal is a dynamo, but perhaps some of you in the know can assuage my concerns about the viability of the tallest projects currently proposed. I've always believed LA deserved a much more impressive skyline for both its size and its cultural and economic impact. The news lately of the pullback in Asian investments in the US, particularly the West Coast, and the delays at Oceanwide rattled my confidence a bit in the current construction boom, despite the ongoing housing crisis in the LA region and California.

I'm focusing on the tallest projects with greatest potential skyline impact...what's the consensus on the following?

333 South Figueroa
925 South Figueroa
Angel's Knoll
Olympic Tower
Olympic/Hill (Onni)
..and now SkyTrees

I totally forgot about Olympia Towers. That would be major as far as the connection.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post

333 South Figueroa
925 South Figueroa
Angel's Knoll
Olympic Tower
Olympic/Hill (Onni)
..and now SkyTrees

If possible, can someone do us all a favor and photoshop these proposals as mentioned to the skyline, please?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Yep, when I see that, I immediately think “redwood”
To clarify, it was 'inspired' by a redwood, it's not supposed to be a treehouse. It's still a skyscraper. But in actuality, the dimensions/circumference of the 70-story tower are actually quite a close approximation to that of a California redwood. In addition, as evidenced in the close-up rendering, wood or a wood substitute definitely appears to be one of the materials used in the facade.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Although not easily seen from this distance when I view this kind of panorama of DTLA buildings my eye invariably goes to the top of the WG tower and I still wonder about the protruding window washing platform that I find to be so unsightly (the closer you get the worse it looks). I would have thought that the device's design would include that it could fold or retract to essentially be not visible or out of sight behind the glass parapet. How is it that such a sophisticated design firm such as AC Martin/Towanga Smith could not manage this? When one looks at the top of the building against the horizon the mechanical platform is ugly and looks like a design or mechanical failure which they could not fix. Does anyone have the same feeling? What happened? Such a beautiful building whose clean lines I think are are marred by this detail.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Wow! Please post also on the "Skyline Pictures" thread on the Photography forum here so eveyone will see this.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:41 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations