HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 5:54 PM

Mojeda mentioning the possibility of Pershing Square being comparable to Union Square in San Francisco is interesting to me as Park Fifth was developed by a San Francisco company and the look of the building screams San Fran to me. I think you could be on to something.

NEWS ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pile Drivers are officially driving perimeter piles into the ground for the dual hotel project at Fig & Pico

Photo Credit: https://urbanize.la/sites/default/fi...?itok=OV2XqQW0

Grand Avenue project towers are now 4 floors tall from Olive street and moving onto the 3rd floors from Grand Avenue.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ipaJSz][/IMG]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ip78mg][/IMG]

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 4, 2020 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:33 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

In the meantime...

https://urbanize.la/post/site-prep-b...vention-center
Quote:
The Lighstone Group, a New York-based real estate investment firm, is preparing to begin excavation and shoring work for a dual-branded hotel development in Downtown Los Angeles.

The Fig + Pico development, slated for a property directly across the street from the Los Angeles Convention Center, calls for the construction of two high-rise buildings containing more than 1,100 hotel rooms in addition to conference facilities and retail space.
Quote:
The first of the two buildings, which will rise at the project's namesake intersection of Figueroa Street and Pico Boulevard, will stand 42 stories in height. Plans call for a total of 820 guest rooms within the building, split between the Marriott brands Moxy and AC Hotels.
Finally getting that off the ground. Good news

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I just want Pershing Square to be similar to Union Square in San Fran. The problem is the immediate surrounding area. Union square is what it is because it's surrounded by appealing high-end shops and restaurants. It's a clean meeting location for the locals. Pershing? Not so much. The area around the park needs to be desirable otherwise Pershing is destined to fail.

And that's the worst part. Pershing Square used to be that. It used to be our meeting ground. It once was home to 100+ foot tall Christmas trees, the largest in the world. We need that. We need more green, we need more shops around the park. Make it a destination. The addition of all these new trees is a step in the right direction but it's concerning me that they might've dropped the initial design from the voting years prior.

Union Square is the obvious comparison for Pershing Square, but it will take quite a bit of work to even get close to the vibrancy and activity that Union Square has. The entrance to the Pershing Square metro station is a huge problem at the moment. The homeless congregate there and it feels super sketchy almost all the time. In my past visits/pass throughs, the square itself is decently monitored and not as overrun with homeless as in years past, but right across the street it's pretty bad. Developing that parking lot would be a HUGE step forward for the square and that part of downtown. I'd say that redevelopment potential is really going to be limited until Skid Row is massively cleaned up. There's only so much you can do to make an area feel nice and safe when you have conditions that would be appalling in even the worst third world countries just a few blocks away. I guess SF has a somewhat similar situation with the Tenderloin near Union Square, but I think Skid Row is a far worse environment than even the Tenderloin.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:18 PM

It's a race to completion between Lightstone and Oceanwide!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:43 PM

Wow,about time! Jeez...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:51 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

^^ that park across the street seems like a huge wasted opportunity

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:06 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
^^ that park across the street seems like a huge wasted opportunity
Thats actually a plaza that is part of the Convention Center, but I agree, it could be much better. Part of the CC revitalization plan does include turning most of that space into a more viable park, but no idea what the progress on that is.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:43 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Thats actually a plaza that is part of the Convention Center, but I agree, it could be much better. Part of the CC revitalization plan does include turning most of that space into a more viable park, but no idea what the progress on that is.
It's been skaters and homeless my entire life. Some grass, trees, dog park would be amazing

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
It's a race to completion between Lightstone and Oceanwide!

Pretty sure Oceanwide will win as boring as that sounds.

Thanks for all the updates guys, that was a tsunami that came outta nowhere. LA is alive and well it seems.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
It's been skaters and homeless my entire life. Some grass, trees, dog park would be amazing
Cool fact, Tony Hawks Pro Skater the game had Pershing Square as a skate spot representing LA. I forget what version but I believe it was on PS2

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:57 PM

Two-Tower Koreatown Development Slated to Break Ground in 2022

https://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-k...ak-ground-2022

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:46 PM

The front page is hilariously out of date. Would the mods allow other members to update the list?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:45 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Meanwhile back on the north end of DTLA.

https://urbanize.la/post/fresh-rende...partment-tower

Quote:
At its meeting on February 13, the Los Angeles City Planning Commission is scheduled to review a proposal to build a high-rise apartment tower adjacent to a new subway station at 2nd Street and Broadway.

LADCP
The project, which is being developed by Tribune Real Estate Holdings, calls for the construction of 56-story building featuring 680 apartments - including 45 which would be reserved as "workforce" housing - with 10,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and a new plaza flanking the Metro station.
Parking for the project would be provided in an adjacent garage which is also owned by Tribune.
Solomon Cordwell Buenz is designing the slim glass-and-steel building, which would rise to a sculpted rooftop standing nearly 616 feet in height. A series of setbacks and insets would create terraces and amenities for residents, highlighted by a large pool deck.

Last edited by Just-In-Cali; Feb 7, 2020 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:35 AM

^ Looks like a great building with a pretty unique ground level, great for pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:36 AM

Also look at all the tall buildings surrounding it, that's going to transform Broadway and bring the skyline East for a change.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:45 AM

Great rendering ! It's got a very urban look to it. One thing: Off to the side it looks like Frank Gehry's tower has a proposed taller version .... any word on that ?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:43 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's just an inaccurate rendering of the Grand Ave. Development. What is being built now will not be that tall.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
^ Looks like a great building with a pretty unique ground level, great for pedestrians.

An 800+ footer on the left side of this aerial would do wonders all by itself.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:55 AM

.... I had a feeling. Thanks Colemonkee. ...but it is intriguing ......

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I know that hoping for taller, taller, tallest is a major goal of many ppl into the revival of dtla, but it's the smaller things that make a big difference too.

your photo was taken a few yrs ago before work had been completed on the vibiana's apt bldg....still in a wood framing stage in the picture. but that big gap parking lot next to it will soon be this....

https://www.facebook.com/TerasakiBud...1269852800626/

cities like london or paris aren't loved or popular because their land devlpt is full of so many highrises.

bldgs over 700 or 900 ft or more are fun to see & think about...but when you're actually in dtla, the height of bldgs you're walking by has a way of falling in importance. In comparison, vacant stores, rundown bldgs, parking lots and things like homeless ppl & the whiff of urine become way more noticeable & important.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations