HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:37 PM

Reply to comment from "The Official Project Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's setting a very low bar, trees are the least they will be able to do. The street wall is extremely austere and disjointed considering the relative importance of this street, not pedestrian friendly, the design seems just arbitrary and bad. There are no focal points or much of any interest. The playful windows just look out of place. The brick and dark metal cladding looks a lot like Atlantic Place, the poster child of what not to do . . . ever. I hope, in light of that, the front looks nice, and people can be proud of it as an addition to the city. The renderings looked ok, but this being NL, from examples I have seen before, there's no reason to believe they are accurate. (edit: Sorry if this sounded negative, just my impressions from the pics - while under construction it's probably not a fair assessment).

Having just returned from a trip back home to St. John's and having had time to take a stroll around the Jag site, I tend to agree. I can say that the metal cladding looks a little better up close seeming to have some more depth and detail to it but it certainly doesn't match the best renderings, (for example the cladding on the concert hall portion in the earlier renderings was horizontal and had more of a wood appearance to it) Once again, (another example being the Hilton Garden Inn), the developer appears to have toned down on some of the positive design details that appeared in the renderings provided during the approval process. It now appears that the final result of the Jag expansion will basically mimic the original portion of the hotel. One good change is that the original design called for 8-9 stories but the final product will be 10 stories from the George St. side and looks even taller from the Water St. side. I think the final product will be OK but I think it could have been much better.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's