HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:25 AM
Mr. Technology

This building is an art form in and of itself.
The ESB will always be my fav.
Time will tell, specifically after the 57th Billionaires Boulevard is complete & we have a new canyon of heroes.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's the building that keeps on giving. But it asks the question, is it better to live in the building, or live nearby and view it everyday?...
Exactly! I would want the 60th floor opposite this tower. The way those color changes look with the sun hitting the building, especially the gold ... is really awesome. I forget the renders of the 1200+ building, did that have the color change as well? If that was further above the midtown plateau it would be even more incredible.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's the building that keeps on giving. But it asks the question, is it better to live in the building, or live nearby and view it everyday?...

This is true, and I regret that I am one of those who still want their cake and east it as well.

When I was a wee lad, I worked on the 26th floor of an office building that my employer had built after years of being in a much smaller space. My cube was next to the windows - which were floor to ceiling with the usual mullions at standard intervals. I remember the group meeting that was held for us all soon after moving in to explain to everyone the strength of the windows and how one of the bigger guys in the room would find it difficult, if not impossible to throw one of our new chairs through it. The chairs were the pedestal on wheels variety and fairly cushy for the time - so not a lightweight four legged style. Some of my coworkers refused to get anywhere near the windows and spent the rest of their career next to the elevator core. It took a bit of adjusting on my part to get used to the 'exposure'. On a clear day, you could see... Kansas...

The topic of how the exposed cement work and how it intrudes into the living space itself would be a feature that would possibly lend itself to some buyers and not to others. I, personally, love it - especially the diagonal ones. There has only been a small amount of discussion on this from what I have seen. From the recent photos over on the YIMBY forum, the inside is going to be just as masterful as the outside. (IMHO) The cement work is massive and provides a psychological sense of safety and reassurance that I don't suspect would be there for me on the same floor of 111 West 57th or the taller one to the west or 432 Park to the east. Buildings are people too. They have an outside and an inside. The interior space in this building is also, kinda, sorta, a work of art? To some? Maybe?

With today's inflation - that is my 1.5 cents worth. Just needed to share. No doubt that this is an incredible building, and I for one am happy that it is just going to be there, for all of the other reasons given.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/05/yimby-scopes-53-west-53rd-streets-perspectives-above-the-midtown-plateau.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:52 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Holy effin' crow, does that contrast between this tower and Roseland look sweet.....

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:45 AM

The Roseland tower (and Verre of course, duh) certainly breaks up the monotony of the ugly boxy mid-century buildings around it. Certainly a nice building. I'm all for creative facades like that. Something NY should continue to do. Push the envelope in terms of building facades will be helpful for the overall look of the skyline and city. Facades are of course the most important aspect IMO more so than how tall a tower is. I'm a design first kind of person and I favor architecture that moves the needle forward, rather than backward.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:52 AM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 5, 2018

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 7:30 AM

Damn NYguy, your photos are only getting better. Did you change your camera? Some of the Verre shots almost look like a painted rendition.
To be specific, the first two shots!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrules View Post
Damn NYguy, your photos are only getting better. Did you change your camera? Some of the Verre shots almost look like a painted rendition.
To be specific, the first two shots!
Different camera, but the building itself looks like a piece of art. That distinguishes it more from the other supertalls going up around the city, and it's appropriate as the extension of MOMA.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:00 PM

I was really worried when I learned that the silver and gold accents were not just a artistic choice by the creator of the rendering. Luckily it actually is coming out way better than it looked and I actually love that decision. From far away on sunny day, it really makes it stand out--at least in photos...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:12 AM
1000 µg = 2D Mandelbrot

Credit: FC

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:41 AM
Mr. Technology

How does it look from the Top of the Rock?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:47 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjvewlbn...orgeclancaster

Quote:
Swinging penthouse party to top off 53W53.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjvg5sOnhGq/?taken-by=hines

Quote:
This evening we join world-renowned architect Jean Nouvel in celebrating the topping out of his latest masterpiece

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjuS_8YhX4i/?taken-by=sjlev

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2018/06/08/o...-53-west-53rd/

On the outside looking in: Jean Nouvel wishes he got to design interiors of 53W53
French architect will be designing one model unit

By Kathryn Brenzel
June 08, 2018

Quote:
Sitting on the 67th floor of 53 West 53rd — still a bare, wide-open concrete slab —Jean Nouvel said he wished he’d also designed the tower’s interiors. He’ll get a small chance, however, to display his vision for the building’s interior: He’s designing one of the apartments.

“Architecture is outside and inside, so [I] wish that [I] had complete ownership of the inside of the building,” the Pritzker Prize winner told The Real Deal through a French translator. “[I’m] designing a model apartment so, [I] know that [my] vision is going to be translated in that capacity.”

He later added that for marketing reasons, the developers felt the 145-unit building’s interiors needed to be “more classical” than the modern exterior.

Quote:
“We chose Thierry Despont as Interior Architect for 53W53 for his mastery of creating exceptional private residences,” said David Penick, a managing director with Hines, which is developing the tower with Pontiac Land Group and Goldman Sachs. “The goal in selecting these materials and designing these finishes was to create residences that will endure the test of time.”

Prices at the tower, which has a $2.1 billion projected sellout, range from about $3 million to $42.5 million. Corcoran Sunshine is handling marketing.

Quote:
Though reminiscent of the nearby Hearst Tower and some of Nouvel’s other geometric exteriors, the facade and shape of the building were partly inspired by the drawings of Hugh Ferriss, Nouvel said. Ferriss was an architect and illustrator, well-known for drawings that appeared in the 1929 book “The Metropolis of Tomorrow.” Those images envisioned what the city’s newly minted zoning law would mean for design (some of the drawings have a very “Fortress of Solitude” feel).

Nouvel said the tower is “designed to be exactly here,” rather than parachuted into New York, as he feels other buildings seem to be.

“Architecture is art, and architecture is born from its situation, from its context,” he said. “It’s the context, as an idea, as a concept, that defines the overall architecture. That’s why you’ll never find two projects of [mine] that will be similar.”

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:26 AM
Mr. Technology

Nice to look at, but the interior has columns going in all directions.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:51 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjw3IR6n...=benjaminteper

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjza3eKl...n-by=xtramoney

Quote:
View from the unfinished living room; on the 71st floor of @53w53 #53w53
Decisions decisions, cause the view of the other end is of Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:40 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Lest I err, it seems to me that the ceremony was held before that final piece in past #3612's pic was/will be put in place.

So is it a topping-out party or not, technically?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 3:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Lest I err, it seems to me that the ceremony was held before that final piece in past #3612's pic was/will be put in place.

So is it a topping-out party or not, technically?
I haven't seen the tower in the past week or so. I know it was supposed to top out in June though. I'll try and get my eyes on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction