HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 2:26 AM

Here's my take on the streetcar:

Cincinnati needs rail transportation, and the streetcar is a good first step towards a larger, regional system.

Since the suburbs didn't want any part in building a regional rail system, the city had to do something on it's own. The streetcar runs through downtown and Over-the-Rhine, which is where probably 85% of the development is already taking place, and are the only neighborhoods in the city that posted population gains in the last decade. Even so, there are still hundreds of beautiful, historic, vacant buildings in Over-the-Rhine. The streetcar will just accelerate the development that is already happening in the area. Streetcars have attracted significant amounts of development in every single American city that has built a modern streetcar system, and I don't see why the same won't happen in Cincinnati.

Plus, I think modern streetcars are infinitely more comfortable than busses. I studied abroad in Germany a few years ago and got to ride the streetcar systems in Berlin, Dresden, Heidelberg, Leipzig, and Prague. Every American I was with just couldn't get over how much nicer they are. They are quiet, efficient, they hold twice as many people as a bus, the ride is incredibly smooth, they don't spew smelly exhaust fumes, etc.

And yes, Cincinnati, along with most major American cities ripped out their streetcar tracks in the 1950's. This wasn't because streetcars don't work, it was mostly because Genral Motors intentionally put them out out of business so they could sell more busses and cars:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFhsrbtQObI . And what happened to Cincinnati after the streetcars were removed? The cities population went into freefall, neighborhoods like Over-the-Rhine and the West End were destroyed, and the city became an undesirable place to live.

So yeah, I'm all for bringing back streetcars.

As far as the residential and entertainment at the Banks goes:

I think the city is doing the Banks right, with the exception of its terrible architecture. What's the difference between High Street in Columbus and the Banks? They are both all bars and restaurants with apartments and condos above. Over-the-Rhine is the same way. Cincinnati needs more people to live in the city, and there is a ton of demand for more residential space in downtown and in Over-the-Rhine. The Banks filled it's 300 apartments extremely quickly (and there is a 100 person waiting list), the Federal Reserve building rented 82 of its 88 apartments in one day, and U Square isn't even finished yet and there are only a handful of apartments remaining. In addition, the residential vacancy rate downtown and in OTR is only 2%. The more residential the better, because these people will support area businesses and keep the neighborhoods vibrant and lively. I think Vine Street in Over-the-Rhine will be Cincy's version of High Street and the Banks is our NOTL.

Just to conclude, think about the streetcar route. It will go from the stadiums and the Banks (with a total of 1,800 apartments), through downtown, past the headquarters of 6 fortune 500 companies, up through Over-the-Rhine past Washington Park and Findlay Market, and eventually up to UC. Sounds like a great first route to me!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:29 AM

Plenty of good points there. I know that America will never get to the level of public transportation that Europe has for many political and economic reasons. I don't think anyone can look at that graph and assume that it is directly due to taking the streetcars out. So many different variables including crime and economic reasons. 200,000 people didn't leave just because of the streetcars leaving. I just have this feeling that its going to move drugs from one end of the city to the other (the show Gangland had something on Portland). I agree that OTR has the most potential for growth and business opportunities and that will possibly be our High Street (but better of course ). My point with the Banks is that it should be all recreational, just like NOTL. We all heard that for a few years they were attracting more people there than the Reds were for a while. I still go down there and have fun, but that architecture is very weak as it stands. The sidewalks are so plain and wide with nothing filling them up at all. I understand they were going for a minimalist look and that's fine because it coordinates with the part of the Reds stadium but that's it hah. I can't disagree, because I knew it would be successful, that the Banks is doing well in the residential sector. What I think would have been more exciting is to be able to have a NOTL at the Banks. The reason I know the city wouldn't like that is because rental property is a much more lucrative business.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:06 AM

Good points. I agree that there were other factors that led to the decline of Cincinnati than just the removal of its streetcar system, but I think it is a big factor. The biggest factor was probably the highway that cut through the West End. Both of these encouraged sprawl.

Look at this pic from before I-75 was built. Look at that density!

Thousands of homes were demolished and over 100,000 people were displaced.

My grandparents grew up in Over-the-Rhine. They said that as soon as the streetcar tracks were ripped up and the highway was built, people started leaving the neighborhood for the suburbs. Undesirables moved in behind them, crime increased, the neighborhood went downhill, and my grandparents were forced to leave. And thus, the cycle continued. It's sad really...

As for NOTL, I agree, more entertainment on the Cincy side would be nice. I would like to see downtown get a movie theater, and maybe an arcade. That being said, I still think downtown Cincy KILLS NOTL in pretty much every way. The last few times I've been to NOTL it has been empty.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:45 AM

I remember reading that, but that picture is incredible! I honestly can't image how it used to look like that compared to how it looks now.

The one thing that I have encouraged my friends to do is go downtown instead of Newport or Main Strauss. Since I have a lot of friends in Kentucky (Thomas More), its hard to bring all of them over here to hang out with me, but slowly but surely they are, we always have fun, and some are saying they like it better. Especially when we can coordinate it with events and we know there will be a nice sized crowd afterward. I have been encouraging my friends for the past year to hang out at the Banks and some other places downtown and its been a positive reaction.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 11:13 AM

^ That's good to hear!

I think a lot of people still have a negative perception of downtown and Over-the-Rhine, but thankfully that seems to be changing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 12:09 AM

I don't know if you have heard of the Pedal Wagon (I haven't done it) but it looks really fun. Its a good idea for big crowds and something for people from out of town to do as a group if they coordinate it ahead of time. Seems very original and a good to explore the neighborhood bars with your friends.

http://www.pedalwagon.com/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 10:38 AM

^ Looks like fun! Is it operational already?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 3:33 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

The pedal wagon has been going down the streets of OTR for over a year, at least.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 8:36 PM

Yeah, my friends and I stumbled out of Cincy's one night and it was just chillin' next the sidewalk. Being slightly intoxicated, we had a nice conversation with one the founder's and I asked if he had a business card, which he gave us.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:47 AM

Interesting. Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:13 AM

Getting ready for residential conversion.

Downtown Cincinnati's historic Ingalls Building sold
Quote:
The Ingalls Building in downtown Cincinnati, the world’s first reinforced-concrete skyscraper when it was built in 1903, has sold for $1.45 million.

The 15-story, 75,000-square-foot office building is on the northeast corner of Fourth and Vine streets. It last sold for about $2 million in 2000, according to the Hamilton County auditor’s online records.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...-building.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:48 PM

Project leaders gearing up for Phase II of The Banks
Quote:
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -
With another restaurant opening its doors at The Banks, only one more retail space remains available to lease. Now, the city is gearing up for Phase II of the project.
Source: http://www.fox19.com/story/20808077/...fc6dedfd65e10e

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:48 PM

New $100M DunnhumbyUSA headquarters expected to spur other downtown development
Quote:
CINCINNATI - The new $100 million DunnhumbyUSA headquarters project could be just what downtown Cincinnati needs to spur a long-awaited revitalization of Race Street.

The development at Fifth and Race streets will break ground Thursday morning to fill a block that has for years been home to a city-owned parking lot. Plans announced in November called for 280,000 square feet of office space in an office tower that city officials expect will be between 15 and 20 stories high. The project also will have a 1,000-car garage and 35,000 square feet of street-level retail.

Cincinnati City Manager Milton Dohoney said he expects as many as 1,500 DunnhumbyUSA employees will eventually work at the headquarters – more than doubling the market research company’s current staff.
Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/money/busine...#ixzz2JVPuACbP

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:58 AM

After all of this delay, its quite disappointing to know that there are parking garages taller than this building...yet another opportunity missed for something good to happen to this city :/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:31 AM

The news article says the building will be between 15 and 20 stories. The developers go before the urban design review board tomorrow, so we should be getting detailed renderings and height figures today or tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:44 PM

dunnhumby Centre: 9 unconventional stories

Quote:
When the $122 million building opens in December 2014, it will be unlike any other in Downtown Cincinnati – short, wide and open. Dunnhumby Centre will cover half a city block, stretching from Fifth to Sixth streets along Race. Once projected to be 30-plus stories and include apartments, it has been scaled down to nine stories.

source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:53 AM

dunnhumby Centre: 9 unconventional stories
Quote:
Construction officially began this morning on the new dunnhumby Centre, a nine-story office and retail building that will finally fill a star-crossed site Downtown at Fifth and Race streets.

“This is a truly great day for the city of Cincinnati.” Mayor Mark Mallory said at the groundbreaking. “Anytime you can take a vacant lot and turn it into a world headquarters it's a big deal.”

DunnhumbyUSA, the fast-growing marketing information company, will occupy 280,000 square feet on four and a half floors. Restaurants and retail will share the lofty main level with dunnhumby’s lobby, and 1,000 parking spaces will be spread over six levels, half of them underground.
Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

DunnhumbyUSA dubs new HQ as 'Dunnhumby Centre'
Quote:
"Dunnhumby Centre." That's the name of the new, $122 million DunnhumbyUSA corporate headquarters building, which had its groundbreaking this morning at Fifth and Race streets downtown.

Dave Palm, Cincinnati-based DunnhumbyUSA’s senior vice president for operations, told me that the spelling of “centre” pays homage to the company’s British roots and to the consumer research firm's quirky style.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...y.html?ana=twt

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:51 PM

City & Duke Energy Reach Streetcar Agreement
Duke Energy To Begin Moving Its Utilities
Quote:
Today, Mayor Mark Mallory and City Manager Milton Dohoney, Jr. announced that the City of Cincinnati and Duke Energy have reached an agreement on the Streetcar project. Under the agreement, Duke Energy will begin moving its utilities now, while a court determines responsibility for the relocation costs later.

The City and Duke have also agreed to an operations plan for how Duke and the City will work in partnership once the Streetcar is operational.
Source: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityofc...car-agreement/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:01 AM

Construction Update:

The recently completed Vine Street Flats. Other than the random 3 story brick element, I kind of like it.

Photo source: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...c,26241.0.html

U Square @ the Loop

Photo Source: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...2567.1120.html

University of Cincinnati Morgens Hall renovation and reclad

Photo Source: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...,2749.280.html

Views on Vine (Schiel School redevelopment site)

Photo Source: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...c,26241.0.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:05 AM

High-end apartments coming to Downtown tower
Quote:
A Downtown office tower will be transformed into about 176 high-end apartments in one of Cincinnati’s largest-ever apartment conversions.

The 580 Building, at Walnut and Sixth streets, was purchased Tuesday by Indianapolis-based Anderson Birkla Investment Partners to be redeveloped into a mix of residential, office and entertainment space, the Enquirer has learned.
Birkla didn’t release the purchase price, but said the total project cost, including the building, will come to about $40 million. The construction loan is already in place, Birkla said. City economic development director Odis Jones said the parties are in negotiations for a city contribution to the financing as well.
Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations