HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

^this is a neighbourhood not a direct road link place

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:51 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Is this the one with 118th ave connected?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 5:50 PM

Happy with their choice but will hold off on exuberant optimism until I see the master plan.

Do you think we'll see more density or less density than what was proposed in their presentation packages? Hoping for a little more myself.

Also hoping that all the green space is dog friendly but I see no reason why it wouldn't be. For all Edmonton's claims that it's a dog friendly city it sure has a heck of a lot of room for improvement.

More of my nitpicking but I think Perkins & Will will do a phenomenal job. Let's get building before all the pro-airport groups manage one last hurrah.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:20 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Ducker View Post
Happy with their choice but will hold off on exuberant optimism until I see the master plan.

Do you think we'll see more density or less density than what was proposed in their presentation packages? Hoping for a little more myself.

Also hoping that all the green space is dog friendly but I see no reason why it wouldn't be. For all Edmonton's claims that it's a dog friendly city it sure has a heck of a lot of room for improvement.

More of my nitpicking but I think Perkins & Will will do a phenomenal job. Let's get building before all the pro-airport groups manage one last hurrah.
Less. The market in Edmonton can't handle the huge push in mid-high density through the compiled projects of The Quarters, North Edge, Warehouse District, Strathern, Fort Road, etc. unless we are talking a long buildout time frame. As much as I am a proponent of well framed street-scapes with Berlin-esque 8 story buildings lining them, I think market demand will push for more row-house and narrow lot single detached with limited setback requirements for the City Centre Airport Lands than currently exists in those renderings. Not saying there won't be substantial mid-density buildings with the smattering of higher density, just less than those renderings show in my opinion.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Last edited by rapid_business; Aug 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:19 PM
Community Guy

I had the pleasure of attending this presentation yesterday am and was very impressed with their update. Barry Johns reiterated how high the bar is for this.

Download the full report from Dennis at the link below.

DBA REPORT ON CITY CENTRE REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DBA Full Report - Investigating the Impact of the City Centre Redevelopment Project on Downtown Edmonton

Executive Summary

Soon the City Centre Airport Lands Redevelopment Project will be underway. More than 30,000 residents will call this community home, locating them a mere eight minutes from the heart of Edmonton by LRT.

This past summer, the Downtown Business Association employed MBA student Dennis Bridges to explore the major development and its potential impact on downtown. He has compiled his findings into a report, which is now available as a resource for the downtown business community.

“I have met with stakeholders, businesses and community groups to gather information on this major undertaking and its impact on consumer and labour markets, sustainability and downtown revitalization,” says Dennis, “The impact on the heart of our city will be huge.”

In June, after a lengthy international search, City Council selected the Vancouver firm Perkins & Will to lead the City Centre Redevelopment Project.

http://edmontondowntown.com/news_details.asp?ID=100

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 5:09 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:32 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ your link does not work.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:54 PM
Community Guy

^It generally only works for a brief period.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

City Centre Redevelopment Master Plan Process Launches

September 14, 2011

City, Perkins+Will announce public consultation plans, commitment to make community affordable, family-oriented and sustainable
The master planning process to develop the City Centre Airport lands into a family-friendly, ecologically sustainable, affordable community is underway.

The City, in partnership with Vancouver-based Perkins+Will, officially kicked off the master planning process, which will be completed by November 2012.

“In terms of land size, this is the biggest urban design competition held in Canadian history,” says Peter Busby, Principal, Perkins+Will. “This project is breathtaking in scale. To have a design project of this size, guided by city council, is unique in Canadian history. Our mandate from Council is to make this an affordable community for families. It will provide housing for up to 30,000 people. It will be rich in public parks and amenities and addresses winter and summer climates.”

“This development will appeal to families,” says Joyce Drohan, Director of Urban Design, Perkins+Will. “There are all kinds of possibilities for ground-level housing, where the front door opens to the street. Housing should be diverse so that it allows access to the broad spectrum of people looking for homes.”

Three major workshops to engage citizens in the planning process will occur beginning the week of October 11. Two additional citizen-focused workshops are scheduled for January 2012 and March 2012. In between, there will also be consultation sessions with more than 14 cluster stakeholder groups including social agencies, neighbourhoods, health care agencies and post-secondary institutions, among others.

“Public consultation will happen,” says Councillor Kim Krushell. “We will ensure that Edmontonians have a significant contribution in the final design of this community.”

Perkins+Will’s conceptual plan focused on connections through nature, history, growth and connecting the existing communities. Highlights of its conceptual plan include an agrihood, technology and research, and town centre districts, a district park and alternative energy systems.

Updates for citizens on progress will be shared through the media, the City’s website and social media tools (@perkinswill_van and @cityofedmonton). Once the master plan is complete with stakeholder and citizen input, it will be presented to Council for approval in late 2012.

You can also view Perkins+Will’s concepts and video online.

For more information:
Bernie Poitras

City of Edmonton
Communications

Telephone
780-442-5423

Jennifer Wint

Perkins + Will

Title Public Relations Coordinator
Telephone
604-484-1576

Email jennifer.wint@perkinswill.com

http://edmonton.ca/city_government/n...-launches.aspx

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 4:58 PM
Change is good

The runway effect on downtown east

Edmonton Balloon ride by mschroeter140, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:53 AM

Wildrose government would try to buy airport from Edmonton

A Wildrose government would try to buy Edmonton's City Centre Airport to ensure it is kept as a base for northern medevac flights, party leader Danielle Smith told a CBC editorial board Wednesday.

Smith said a successful sale of the airport, immediately northwest of downtown Edmonton, would be a "double win" for the province and the city. If she became Alberta premier, Smith said she would try to restart talks with the city.

"There's no reason we can't look at negotiating a purchase of the airport asset off of the city, which would give them additional sources of revenue to pay for other things," she said. "We know that they have a few high priorities, like arenas."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...e-airport.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:10 AM

Wow, I'm speechless, looks like they really want to lose the next election.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:06 AM
Urban Advocate

/\ or pick up a couple northern seats on fringe issues.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:04 PM

EIA ready for Medevac flights once province gives okay
http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1551904

Quote:
Danielle Smith's hope to restart talks on the City Centre Airport debate is too late.

Work is complete at Edmonton International Airport, and once the province gives the go ahead, Medevac services will move there full time.

The Health Quality Council listed 18 recommendations, which are must-haves before a move from City Centre Airport could happen.

"We've been working with the province for some time now to ensure we understand what their needs are and ensure that they understand there are facilities now if they choose to move now and there is also availability of land if they choose to custom-build a facility if that is the route they preferred," said Traci Bednard, EIA's vice-president of communications and passenger experience.

"We've been working for years to help with planning, identify needs, and ensure that the timing fits with continuing to provide a good air ambulance system."

Everything that's been asked for -- a private tarmac away from the public building, hangar space, even a ramp for ground ambulance to whisk the patient in the transfer -- are all good to go.

"When you look at some of those recommendations, what they were outlining is needs that would be required for the transition and many of those are already in place," added Bednard.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 6:11 PM

^ SUCK ON THAT SMITH!! Muahaha

I gotta say I love the vibe that EIA has been protruding with its expansion and all the optimism. Seem like a great employer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 7:47 PM

Nice to hear they are ready to go.
This may one more nail in the CCA coffin.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 11:03 PM
Urbis Maximus

Yup. Go EIA.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
/\ or pick up a couple northern seats on fringe issues.
This is a wedge issue not a fringe issue. She will use this "technique" in an attempt to create conflict and direct voters to her party. Albeit we must be nonpolitical on the forum we need to expose liars and fabricators for what they are. Harpers tactic of drive by shootings will not go over big in either Calgary or Edmonton....seen it, know it is a cheap attack ad. I am getting my rocks ready for Danielle and I am a pretty exp. with a slingshot. First David and now the she devil from Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:05 PM
Community Guy

Updated renderings of Edmonton's City Centre Airport redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:13 PM

If even 50% of that happened, it would be the best hood in Alberta

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton