HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

View Poll Results: Should the Skating Oval be made permnament?
Yes 25 78.13%
No 6 18.75%
Don't Know and/or Care 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:32 PM

The horsesh*t that is being thrown around about beer and booze and advertising thereof is really getting ridiculous. There seems to be a cadre of doctors and nanny do-gooder types who are using highly questionable stats that do not pass the smell test to push an agenda around banning all booze advertising among other controls. Of course our idiot council bought it, at least a majority of them. What's scary is that some of these medical types like the ubiquitous Dr. Strang are on the provincial payroll and have the ear of govt. It would not surprise me if the NDP types might slide some sort of ridiculous advertising legislation through. In ALLNS today the NDP's medical poster boy, Dr John Ross, was a co-author of a letter calling for such moves. Watch out. These people are dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The horsesh*t that is being thrown around about beer and booze and advertising thereof is really getting ridiculous. There seems to be a cadre of doctors and nanny do-gooder types who are using highly questionable stats that do not pass the smell test to push an agenda around banning all booze advertising among other controls. Of course our idiot council bought it, at least a majority of them. What's scary is that some of these medical types like the ubiquitous Dr. Strang are on the provincial payroll and have the ear of govt. It would not surprise me if the NDP types might slide some sort of ridiculous advertising legislation through. In ALLNS today the NDP's medical poster boy, Dr John Ross, was a co-author of a letter calling for such moves. Watch out. These people are dangerous.

Next we will be renaming the Mooseheads. For those who are concerned with the children: have the concerned adults bothered to ask children what they think?

I asked my nephews (6, 8 and 10) if they knew what Molson was. They had no idea. I asked about Keith's... same thing. Actually, one said he has a friend named Keith. Children do not associate beer names with beer. All my nephews do realize is that beer is "Grandpa's Drink." And They do make fun of me for my empty wine bottles but this hasn't encouraged them to drink either.

Last edited by jslath; Nov 29, 2011 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:30 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

That's right. Do the members of our council have proof that children have even been affected by these ads? I have never heard of one case.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:36 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
There are a zillion other factors FAR more highly correlated to drinking habits than seeing the name of a beer company on a sign.

Far better that people actually start taking responsibility for their own actions as well as responsibility for their kids actions, rather than effectively saying "Oh it's not my fault my 12 year old drinks, it is the fault of advertising". Give me a break.

Last edited by beyeas; Nov 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 4:30 PM

"Think of the children! Won't somebody think of the children,"

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
Next we will be renaming the Mooseheads.
To be fair, it seems a little ridiculous to have a team named after a brewery that's now in a rival QMJHL city. Especially when they don't even serve Moosehead at the MC.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:38 AM

A rep from Custom Ice told me they are nearing completion on this project. Should be done laying the surface next week sometime.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:59 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Hopefully the weather cools in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:25 PM

I encourage everyone to contact their councillor if you think council should reconsider its position of not allowing Molson Coors to sponsor the oval!

Save the Oval

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 12:42 PM

Halifax skating oval may yet be linked to brewer’s name

December 3, 2011 - 4:37am By DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporter

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...E2%80%99s-name

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 5:26 PM
Honored Member

Does anyone have pictures of the permanent Oval?

Congratulations to HRM Council for making the Oval permanent.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 1:51 PM

Last edited by q12; Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment