HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:42 AM

From earlier today, the 10 finalists for the redesign of the Seaholm Intake Facility have been narrowed down to three.

Austin Parks and Recreation

Quote:
The top three submittals were selected by the Jury in recognition of their response to the project program, criteria, and sensitivity to the site context. These submittals succeeded in proposing improvements, to the site that enhanced but did not overpower the original building, landscape and surrounding new development.

103 “Link” - Gumbully

Brendan Wittstruck, Justin Beadle, Philip Burkhardt, Roberto Jaime Deseda, Heath Henderson, Julia Weese-Young

The Judges rated this submittal high for its architectural creative and innovative design solution. The Moses pier, underwater art, use of shell “as is” for art and art boating, just to name a few. The architectural interventions are minimal and demonstrates a sensitivity of the historic nature of the project site. The connection and response to the surrounding development was done with sensitive landscaping alteration. This design evokes many of Austin’s cove valves, including appreciation of art, music, and healthy lifestyle.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
111 “Lakehouse” - BOKA Powell + Design Workshop

Laura Bryant, Nathan Wilcox, Alex Ramirez, Sarah Simpson, Allison Moore Eric Van Hyfte, Kim Villavicencio, Philip Koske, Steven Moore, Tim Campbell, Mary Martinich, Conners Ladner, Jason Ferster, Magda Sayeg (local artist), Will Steakley (DEN)

The Judges liked this submittal for its overall inviting landscape and livability features such as connectivity to the Seaholm District and adjoining trails. This design is accessible to the public and meets many of the Imagine Austin goals and captures Austin’s cultural sensitivities. There are elements that allow for flexible uses such as the moving barge, creates usable space while being mindful of revenue generating potential.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
145 “Intake” - Gensler Team George

George Blume, Brittney Couch, Jesse Adler, Vineta Clegg, Chris Curson, Adrianna Hong, Gerardo Gandy, Stacy Reed

The Judges acknowledged this submittal for its Architectural sophistication, allowing the building to be creatively quiet. This design accentuates the beauty of the building and understands the flow of the water, articulated by the sweeping board walk. This design allows multiple uses and has something for everyone for instance; a market, music venue, new trail and swimming area. The design transitions the urban face of the project site with the lakefront effectively while being constructible and logical. The design addresses basic sustainability issues like day lighting and evaporative cooling.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
NEXT STEPS

A Request for Proposal (RFP) is being prepared by the City of Austin and will be released in the Fall/Winter 2013. RFP will include specific guidelines, designs, program, space allocation, time frames and specific criteria for award of proposal. The public is invited to provide additional comment by clicking on the SpeakUpAustin link.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:02 PM

Ugh, my proposal didn't make it and it was the best one, even though it wasn't the flashiest. What's worse is that two of the proposals that were picked have freaking swimming pools. That's so bro-tastic. I've lost a little hope for the intake facility, unfortunately. The Gensler one is good. I just think the swimming pool is out-of-place and squanders a good opportunity to have a quality public space. God dammit, Austin.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:48 PM

Oh well...

[QUOTE=LoneStarMike;6227562]From earlier today, the 10 finalists for the redesign of the Seaholm Intake Facility have been narrowed down to three.

So Basically it's out of these three? Pity the first two don't really show what they'd do with the building, just a lot of clip-art people looking urban and content. I figured they'd kill the paddle up brew pub. jerks. I'd love to see someone combine the brew pub with the waterfall and the kayak rapids--winner!

Instead we have these:

103 “Link” - Gumbully

111 “Lakehouse” - BOKA Powell + Design Workshop

145 “Intake” - Gensler Team George

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post

Pity the first two don't really show what they'd do with the building, just a lot of clip-art people looking urban and content.
The KUT article only showed one rendering for each project. You can go back and click on those hyperlinks I posted above labeled "Page 1" and "Page 2." When those small images come up, place your cursor on it and click again. It zooms way in - so much so that you have to scroll back and forth and up and down to see the whole thing.

Here's screen shots of the BOKA proposal that I resized to fit the screen.

I hope either the Gensler or the BOKA proposal wins. I don't really like the Gumbully proposal.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 3:22 AM

Re: South Shore Central Redevelopment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I just grabbed the screen captures from the KVUE story. The link at the end of the story should take us to the plans but I could not find them so this was better than nothing.
I found better versions of two of the renderings that were shown at that presentation back in May at the Hyatt, as well as some ones I hadn't seen yet here (It's the slide presentation that was shown that night, but there are some on here they didn't show - or at least I don't remember seeing them.) These were all concepts submitted the UT School of Architecture.

]

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Re: South Shore Central Redevelopment

I found better versions of two of the renderings that were shown at that presentation back in May at the Hyatt, as well as some ones I hadn't seen yet here (It's the slide presentation that was shown that night, but there are some on here they didn't show - or at least I don't remember seeing them.) These were all concepts submitted the UT School of Architecture.

]

That bridge gives me a HUGE BONER and almost makes me want to reverse my exit from Austin!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:40 AM
Meh

Whah? Ahealy is leaving Austin???

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Whah? Ahealy is leaving Austin???
Yeah, it's time for me...headed out West (again) to either LA or Portland. I'll still always be on here

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 1:30 AM

Walked around in the heat this morning, grabbed a few shots.

Marriott:

Colorado Tower:

IBC Bank Plaza:

Bowie:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yeah, it's time for me...headed out West (again) to either LA or Portland. I'll still always be on here
Homeboy, why are you moving? Hope you enjoy your move. And I was planning on moving back by the beginning of next year!

Priller.... those photos are awesome. Thank you all so much for posting photos. And I don't know about you guys but the JW Marriott and Austonian right next to each other are going to make the most beautiful couple.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 2:34 AM

[QUOTE=priller;6229022]Walked around in the heat this morning, grabbed a few shots.

Marriott:

I LOVE these photos!!!

They show a consistent design element where 5+ buildings (edit...ok i count 12 buildings ) all blend together and nod to each other to create a GREAT image. A Great Whole.

Both photos have a calm image of unity...the colors of all the building nod to each other, and unify the image. Imagine if the Chase Bank Building (the building on the [last] upper 2 story level of the JW, to the right of the freight elevator) and its cousin to the left were still clad in the original copper glass...!?! uughhh !?! PLEASE, someone post a photo of that building with the copper glass next to the new look...WoW.

Thank You to all the design folk who have helped to create a GREAT collection of buildings in downtown.

[ i ignore the stucco s..t! ]]

Last edited by AusTex; Aug 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM. Reason: 12...5....buildings they all relate to each other.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:49 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Anyone else feel like Austin's skyline is becoming increasingly "blue" now (all the colors for all the new buildings)?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Homeboy, why are you moving? Hope you enjoy your move. And I was planning on moving back by the beginning of next year!
It's just time! I feel like I've out grown Austin...it is still my obsession. I need some cool weather too

JW Marriott is looking INCREDIBLE

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Anyone else feel like Austin's skyline is becoming increasingly "blue" now (all the colors for all the new buildings)?
Yeah but its a different variation of blue... and the Austonian is more like turquoise or something. Austin's skyline is going to be slick if anyone hasn't noticed. Not huge or mighty impressive in that overwhelming sense... just very striking and overall beautiful.

edit: okay not turquoise but i've sworn i've seen it turquoise depending on certain times of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy
It's just time! I feel like I've out grown Austin...it is still my obsession. I need some cool weather too

JW Marriott is looking INCREDIBLE
Good luck to you, homie!

Last edited by migol24; Aug 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:20 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Yeah but its a different variation of blue... and the Austonian is more like turquoise or something. Austin's skyline is going to be slick if anyone hasn't noticed. Not huge or mighty impressive in that overwhelming sense... just very striking and overall beautiful.
When I was a kid I would go to Austin every 1st and 3rd webuilekends of every month and did that for about 3 years and this was in the early 2000's. I've seen that skyline dramatically change from puny to probably one of the best in the country.

I have zero doubts that it'll climb it's way into the top 15 in the country in a decade or mores time, possibly higher and it will keep getting larger.

Let's be honest, there are very few cities in this country aside from New York, Chicago, Miami, Houston and just a very few others building more than Austin.

Future is bright dawg.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid I would go to Austin every 1st and 3rd webuilekends of every month and did that for about 3 years and this was in the early 2000's. I've seen that skyline dramatically change from puny to probably one of the best in the country.

I have zero doubts that it'll climb it's way into the top 15 in the country in a decade or mores time, possibly higher and it will keep getting larger.

Let's be honest, there are very few cities in this country aside from New York, Chicago, Miami, Houston and just a very few others building more than Austin.

Future is bright dawg.
San Francisco is one of those cities. It's building a whole lot! I don't comment on that thread very much but there's lots of things going on. Its just not as noticeable because there are already so many buildings. The Transbay is going to be one of the tallest in the US, rising a little over a 1000'. Soma is quickly becoming the second skyline of SF.

Austin needs one of those - although lots of people here are highly skeptical that Austin will ever get a thousand footer - in order to compete with at least Seattle, Pittsburgh, Charlotte or Minneapolis.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 6:30 AM
Meh

So it looks like the JW Marriott is working on the slab of the 18th floor. According to the elevations, that puts it at 216 feet now. That's 20 feet taller than Whitley and 9 feet taller than Hyatt Place.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:11 PM

Man I have said it before, but the JW is going up super fast. Also on the subject of a 1000 footer. I think it's possible when we hit 2.5 million, or the size of Pittsburgh and Denver. Even at the size, having a thousand footer would be something of a coup. Minneapolis and Seattle are still twice the size of Austin and don't have a thousand footer though both have great skylines. The only skylines in our metro range I can think of with something near 1000 feet is Cleveland and Charlotte. They are both bank HQs and Austin just doesn't have a huge financial sector presence in the city.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Man I have said it before, but the JW is going up super fast. Also on the subject of a 1000 footer. I think it's possible when we hit 2.5 million, or the size of Pittsburgh and Denver. Even at the size, having a thousand footer would be something of a coup. Minneapolis and Seattle are still twice the size of Austin and don't have a thousand footer though both have great skylines. The only skylines in our metro range I can think of with something near 1000 feet is Cleveland and Charlotte. They are both bank HQs and Austin just doesn't have a huge financial sector presence in the city.
In Minneapolis the IDS Tower (or was it renamed?) is so beloved that I it would be nearly impossible to get approval for something taller.

I am not sure if I want to see a super-tall in Austin. I think it might be so tall that the whole of the skyline and the "comfortable" scale of being in downtown might be ruptured. 750'-800' would be the max for me, before 3 or 4 other "Austonian's" are built. After other tall buildings are built....then the city and skyline can probably look and feel right with a super-tall.

Can someone with more talent than myself post 2 simple rectangles in a photo of our skyline representing 750' and 1000'? I am curious as to what that tall of a building would look like in Austin's skyline. Thanks for the Consideration.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
I think you're right, the skyline is becoming a lot more blue. I think that's a good thing. A few years ago it was pretty much all brown and beige, and I always thought it made the city look sort of hot the blue makes it look cooler.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations