HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 12:29 AM

Now if only someone would buy up all of the houses along upper James and tear them all down and put in some proper residential/commercial mixed use buildings in their place

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Now if only someone would buy up all of the houses along upper James and tear them all down and put in some proper residential/commercial mixed use buildings in their place

That would be a massive redevelopment project, so many crappy converted houses.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:54 AM

From the look of those plans, it looks like they want to demolish the rest of the remaining original building.

If I had've had a say in that, I'dve used the space beside the LCBO for 5 more stores(Ardene, Dollarama, GNC, Payless, and Subway), and seen if there was space for a drive-thru Tims.

To me, it does look like the major national retailers will be coming out of the original building, while all the local businesses will have to relocate elsewhere or just simply close their doors.

=P

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
... and seen if there was space for a drive-thru Tims. ...
Do we really need another drive-thru? Can't we get a little more progressive in Hamilton? There are so many in this city as it is.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:13 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
From the look of those plans, it looks like they want to demolish the rest of the remaining original building.

If I had've had a say in that, I'dve used the space beside the LCBO for 5 more stores(Ardene, Dollarama, GNC, Payless, and Subway), and seen if there was space for a drive-thru Tims.

To me, it does look like the major national retailers will be coming out of the original building, while all the local businesses will have to relocate elsewhere or just simply close their doors.

=P
This sucks. I liked that mall. I was okay with a portion still standing. But this is so ten years ago in the US regional malls. They're making urban street walls and pedestrian only with tons of mixed use calling them Lifestyle Centres. This is nothing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
This sucks. I liked that mall. I was okay with a portion still standing. But this is so ten years ago in the US regional malls. They're making urban street walls and pedestrian only with tons of mixed use calling them Lifestyle Centres. This is nothing.
Agreed. The design of that 'smart centre' is absurd. Cut off from the street entirely but emulating a real street wall still as though they have no clue about basic urban planning principles.

The worst is the ocean of parking in the centre and just how thoughtless these developers are. Walking into the LCBO is a daredevil exercise. Blow it up and start over. Have a real plan instead of just dropping boxes randomly.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 8:28 PM

651 Upper James Street

New FC: FC-23-083

651 Upper James Street

To develop one, 15-storey multiple dwelling with 224 residential units; three, 20-storey mixed-use multiple dwellings with 606 residential units; 3 single storey commercial units and an expansion to the existing Walmart.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues